Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question I have to do my timing belt and want to know if the mitsubishi timing belt tool is nessasary or can I use somenting else to do the job?

I guess the next question is if I do need one does anyone know where I can get one in Washington Puget Sound area fast. I would like to have my car taken appart and back together tommorrow if possible. I don't feel like waiting for ever for a part to arrive in the mail.

Thanks,
Garth

·
Registered
373 Posts
Tool

Hey Higgs -

Regarding the tool, you gan get the one from Mitsu, but it is expensive. You can order it from Miller Tools cheaper, for exactly the same thing. It would be difficult to accurately torque down the timing belt without their tool due to the way the tensioner pulley works.

You can get fnfo on the tool and part prices from the following thread:

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46737&highlight=miller+tool

I recommend using genuine Mitsu parts over aftermarket. Prior to doing my 120k service, I did a lot of research on the board and there have been numerous instances of problems with non-OEM parts. It may take a week to order and receive the parts (and tool) but it's worth the wait.

Good luck! -- G

·
curt93T/T
5,079 Posts
You do not need that tool. You can remove the timing belt by removing the auto tensioner, and by doing so you do not have to even touch the pulley. I removed my belt a few times that way, and as long as your auto tensioner is good it will tighten the pulley to the right specs. I have over 10,000 miles on mine and a lot of racing and it hasn't let me down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts