Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cyberwwolf!!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Did something changed on OEM tensioners in the last years? Just received my 60k kit and the tensioner looks nothing as I remember.

Apart from the black/white label.

The tensioner have no characters on top of the alumium ring, no blue ink and also the seal inside is black instead of brown. Date is now writed on the side and says 2018

Kit is ordered from a reputable seller. What are your opinions?

Did mitsubishi change supplier for oem tensioners and anyway are those still the best quality ones we can buy?

thanks

Attachments

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,007 Posts
According to Mitsubishi ASA, that part number supersedes the old part numbers (MI156659 [91], MD185241 [92-mid 94] and MD308588 [late 94-95] ), and is the current part number for mid 95 -99.
It looks to be an OEM part by the labeling on the bag.

That's all I have to offer....

Bob. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just looks to be the latest part number, I do question the difference in seal color though. According to the ninja performance website there are fakes.

Part number history:
MD156659 -> MD185241 -> MD308588 -> MD319040

Edit: now that I think about it that label does look suspect. Every OEM part I've ordered has had a color sticker label attached to the bag.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
That label looks like it was made on a black and white copy machine... LOL

The triple diamond and the genuine parts logo should be printed in red. It's probably just a copy of a real label. The made in Korea part is probably correct. Mitsubishi is heavily in bed with Kia/Hyundai on a lot of that stuff.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
where did you buy this???

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with these guys. That looks fake. That label looks nothing like I remember, and I've never seen an OEM tensioner that has a black seal. They're always brown. Unless they changed suppliers.... Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I decided to get out my loupe and take a close look at a real label, found this interesting little feature.

I'm curious if there are any convincing fake (counterfeit?) labels out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
From what I 've read fakes are becoming more of a problem and can get into the supply chain for legit parts, but ebay and other auction sites are probably more prone to this. I had to replace an OEM A/F sensor for my mom's Avalon and many sellers for this part looked shady on these sites . With Mitsu doing parts sharing with Kia/Hyundai I think fakes will become more common in the future due to the higher volume.

AC Delco Counterfeit

·
Cyberwwolf!!
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot to update, had a conversation with Ninja too since the tutorial on his website, and it ended that this is the way present oem tensioners look like so the old info about the blue ink on top and the brown seals are no more valid. This tensioner is 2018. In case anyone order a 2018+ tensioner that is different feel free to update this. thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Forgot to update, had a conversation with Ninja too since the tutorial on his website, and it ended that this is the way present oem tensioners look like so the old info about the blue ink on top and the brown seals are no more valid. This tensioner is 2018. In case anyone order a 2018+ tensioner that is different feel free to update this. thanks guys
I'd be less concerned with the outside appearance of the part than I am about the poorly copied label thrown in the bag with it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts