Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I 've adjusted the t-belt tension per the manual ,so that the tensioner pin can be removed easily. But, with this method it does not meet the rod protrusion spec of .149" to .177" in the manual. It is about .120" . Anyone else run into this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Wrenchmonkey #839
4,979 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me

The exact same thing happened to me. Now you have a choice to make.

1. Assume that the hole is correct (in pin and in casting) and set the tensioner so the pin is easily removable.

or

2. Assume the rod lenght is correct and set the protrusion lenght.

I chose option 2 and set the rod protrosion lenght. I have 3000 miles on the engine no problems. I also have run 2 autocrosses were I have hot the RPM limiter occasionally. Still no problems. When set to spec the pin was still removable, it just caught a little.

BUT if the pin only protrudes .120" you should still be OK.
Why: Because the more the pin in inside the tensioner the higher the tension on the belt. You may be a little tight but that is probably better than a little loose.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John - thanks for the input. You've helped me out a couple of times on this t-belt/cam seal job.

I think your right this is a tolerance stacking problem between the two measurement methods, since each have a different reference point. Mitsu should pick one method to tension the belt.

I chose option 1) the pull-the-pin method, since the force to compress the plunger should be the same regardless of protrusion length. I took a better measurement and the protrusion measured at .128". I guess the plunger rod or casing is about out of tolerance by .021" length (which is a lot of course). Which means the the protrusion measurement range spec should .021" less for both the lower and upper limit (.128 to .157").

Perry

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your probably right about the dealer. Tensioning the belt took me a little over an hour, I doubt the mechanic would take the time to do that. Granted, I can't work as fast as a pro. The whole t-belt job without a new waterpump "books" at 4.5 hrs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts