Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story shortened, I think my timing belt jumped a bit while trying to start it.
What are good ways to support the engine before removing the engine mount support?
I'm open to your experience.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you talking about the engine mount by the timing belt end of the motor, drivers side assuming it's a left hand drive? If so, the 2 mounts on the side of motor can support it along with the trans mount. Whatever you do don't put a jack under the oil pan. I did my 60k service when I had my trans out and just left the side mounts attached, jacked up the front of motor, timing belt end by putting a block of wood, 3/4" plywood, on the edge of where the oil pan attaches to the block. There was something close to the block that kept the wood from slipping off. Made the front of motor very easy to reach.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is belt tension released without removing the lower cover to access the tensioner?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I used to just put a block of wood on a jack. I forget if I put it on the oil pan, but its my understanding that dented oil pans come from people confusing the front jack point with the oil pan and are actually lifting more than just supporting the engine. I dont want to give out bad info and have you mess up your oil pan, but I know I used a block of wood and a jack and found a place that worked where I felt safe doing it. But Like I said, you are really just supporting it, not lifting it.

Also, You may be able to remove the lower timing cover with the engine mount in place, but for me I would want it out just for access because my hands are big.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
How is belt tension released without removing the lower cover to access the tensioner?
The lower cover doesn't wrap completely around the mount. Only about 1/2 way...so it has a "V" shape cut around it. So you can remove it by coming out and up to the right. (IIRC...it's been a bit, bump I remember making a mental note of that fact)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey people! Before I do something really stupid, tell me if the crank pulley bolt is 'lefty-loosey' or is it a reverse thread.
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is right hand thread. I got it off!
I should go buy a lottery ticket before my luck wears off!:p

·
Premium Member
6,958 Posts
I used to just put a block of wood on a jack. I forget if I put it on the oil pan, but its my understanding that dented oil pans come from people confusing the front jack point with the oil pan and are actually lifting more than just supporting the engine. I dont want to give out bad info and have you mess up your oil pan, but I know I used a block of wood and a jack and found a place that worked where I felt safe doing it. But Like I said, you are really just supporting it, not lifting it.

Also, You may be able to remove the lower timing cover with the engine mount in place, but for me I would want it out just for access because my hands are big.
The pan is too fragile to risk any jacking at all... You may have gotten lucky, but the next guy may not. I would not recommend ever using the bottom of the pan as a lift point.
The axle halfshaft support and the A/C bracket on either side of the pan both work excellent for lifting the motor up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luck just ran out.
It seems that the crank timing belt gear is stuck to the back of the crank pulley. The pulley will slide back and forth, but the timing belt gear with the timing belt won't let the pulley come off.
Any suggestions beyond cutting the timing belt?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it off! Well, apparently the crank gear is permanently attached to the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. Who knew! Not me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1991 Stealth TT.
It sure looks like it is made together. I'll have to look at it more.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The pan is too fragile to risk any jacking at all... You may have gotten lucky, but the next guy may not. I would not recommend ever using the bottom of the pan as a lift point.
The axle halfshaft support and the A/C bracket on either side of the pan both work excellent for lifting the motor up.
I agree.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts