Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm new here. I was just putting together a proper introduction when I ran across a problem I need to post about before I do anything else.

So, my mother has owned this 3000gt for 25 Years and I just bought it from her. I've been driving it around for about a 2 Weeks and finally replaced the failed hydraulic lifts for the hood so I could work under the hood safely. I've been reading through these forums religiously for days and that had led me to inspect the timing belt. The timing belt had just been replaced before it sat for 2 Years. Pulled the front cover off and all looked well, good tension everywhere I could get at, the belt looks brand new, like it was just installed. Then I turn the car over a few times to inspect different parts of the belt and that's when I noticed there was so much slack between the front Cams and the water pump that I accidentally made it skip a tooth. I was able to skip it back to normal. I tried to see if I could just slide the belt off and if I'd continued it definitely would have just slid off the side. Of course, my mother probably skimped on the parts and is using some generic kit, no doubt that needs to be replaced. The belt still looks brand new, it was replaced, then the car sat. She seems to think she only paid 300ish for the replacement, which makes me even more skeptical about this whole thing.

I already know most (or all) will advise to get the OEM kit or maybe the Gates kit, replace the water pump and just do the whole thing, which is what I want to do. I really do not have the money for this right now, I'm living off my last paycheck from my previous job while I look for work (employer retired) so my question is- considering the belt looks good, can I get away with just replacing the tensioner with a proper OEM part? At least for a little while. I'm going to be very paranoid about this until I can do a full proper job on it, this would be a temporary fix just to get me by until I find employment again. I need a car to find work, and I need work to fix this properly- I'm in a very uncool spot.

Another temporary alternative might be to get one of the cheap ebay kits, I've read some good things about Continental. I would only expect 5k tops out of any of those before I'd do the job properly.

I'm half tempted to cut my losses and sale the car or junk it and buy some used Honda that needs some work- not nearly as intimidating as this. I really do not know what to do- I'm confident in my ability to fix the problem properly, though I only have hand tools (part of the cost I figure for this 'project' is getting some better tools).

I live in the Kansas City area and want to learn more about these cars, but this 'timing' is just terrible for me (on many levels). Thank you for your time, I didn't mean for this post to be this long.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I just bought a gates kit and trust it. Ive put a gates kit on before.

Im more amazed you not only got the belt to skip but got it to skip back! The tensioners are designed to allow for some slack when sitting to not stretch out the belt.

Is the timing belt still on your car or did you slide it off? Thats where I am confused. The car is running and driving? Im not sure I follor what your question/problem is.

·
Registered
458 Posts
If you are going to go through all this trouble, get a solid tensioner from ninja/3sx/whoever so you never have the problem again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the replies folks! I'm definitely going to do it right if I do it, that much I've decided on, no half-bummery. I'm still considering my options. I was half thinking while typing up that original post, just to get this started- sorry if I was unclear.

I could have slid the belt off, but I did not continue to try. The car ran pretty good before that, though I did notice some almost imperceptible loss of power when getting on it, which could be the loose belt retarding timing slightly. The belt is extremely loose, but it was in time (luckily the tooth-marks were 5 teeth off of the reference markers, so it was easy to count from them)- trying to turn the whole system made another one skip, so at least 2 are out of time now, maybe 3. Theoretically the car runs well if the timing were right.

I'm sure if I had not found this forum I'd have a dead car to my name in the next few Weeks, so I'm very thankful for all the great info here, it's why I thought to check the belt in the first place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My cam gear skipped too while trying to pull off the timing belt cover, but I dont know by how much. Is there a way to tell where the cam should go in that time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If the other set didnt jump, should they match in rotation. My belt is too loose and the cam gears can easly jump ive newly discovered. Its very scary and I want to correct it before I the car again. I do now have cam gear lockers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the other set didnt jump, should they match in rotation. My belt is too loose and the cam gears can easly jump ive newly discovered. Its very scary and I want to correct it before I the car again. I do now have cam gear lockers.
That's what I discovered. In trying to fix it I just made it worse. Judging by the what I've read around these forums, if it is that loose don't start it until you replace the timing belt- that's what I'm doing here in a few Weeks (yay money!), it's just not worth the risk of ruining the car. If the timing is off, the valves could hit the pistons. Replacing the valves is much more expensive to fix, and you'll still need a new timing belt. I believe these forums saved my vehicle.

Also @Angelas - thanks for the video link, that's the best one I've seen so far, it'll be my primary reference when I get to fixing this thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts