Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that I would cry in my beer a bit and ask for suggestions.
I hadn't started my '91 TT in several weeks while busy replacing the dash, seats, radio and you name it. I swapped out the ECU with one I recently purchased to test it. I tried to start the car. For about a revolution he car cranking sounded normal, but then the starter seemed to disengage and spin faster.
Long story short, the starter is fine, but the timing belt jumped. I reinstalled the timing belt and the timing is perfect. But, no compression on the front 3 cylinders. I haven't checked the back bank yet, but I'm sure it is the same.
So, I can pull the heads and fix the bent valves, buy rebuilt heads, etc, etc, etc.
Based on your experiences, what direction would you take?
I'm not parting out. :p :p

·
Registered
1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
157 Posts
I would pull it apart to see the extent of the damage before making any decisions.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I would pull heads (after confirming rear), then have machine shop rebuild them. OR, find good used heads.
Either way you're in for a good weekend (or two depending how fast you work) of work, and $500 or so...not too bad.
Also do a full 60K service if one hasn't been done recently, while your there.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I might have some very low mileage 60K parts too if you're interested, let me know...I'd let them go cheap. I know I have a low mileage OEM belt, and some good pulleys too.

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
the good news is that you just may need new valves if the car jumped timing while cranking. I will get spanked for saying this but you can just buy a set of valves and valve stem seals then do it yourself if you have the shop and tools to pull the heads.
some guys will say to have a machine shop check the heads for cracked guides, but i suspect the guides and pistons are fine.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
the good news is that you just may need new valves if the car jumped timing while cranking. I will get spanked for saying this but you can just buy a set of valves and valve stem seals then do it yourself if you have the shop and tools to pull the heads.
some guys will say to have a machine shop check the heads for cracked guides, but i suspect the guides and pistons are fine.
Exactly...guides are what I was thinking. Not just cracked, but worn depending on mileage. Then you may as well re-surface, etc. Thinking about 3rd gen lifters? Would be a good time to do that too. lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your input. Not an insurmountable task. I just have to get wound up to do it.

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
yup, it all depends on your knowledge (or willingness to learn), access to a shop with tools (most tools for this work are cheap if you don't have them), and time you have available (lots of people at home lately).
you need a shop manual to see all the torque specs (as well as assembly/disassembly procedure) and top engine gasket kit too. I'd say a weekend to tear down and a weekend to reassemble as long as you don't do a bunch of other things (eg painting valve covers, polishing/cleaning) when doing the work.
New OEM valves can be hard to find, so if you are really frugal, you can pull the heads and check which ones are bent before buying a full set. :-}

1 - 9 of 9 Posts