Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my timing belt slip 45 deg on the camshaft spocket and thus the engine runs like shit. I need to readjust the belt.
My question is do I have to remove the engine mount to get at the belt remove it off the cam sprocket and readjust all of the marks so they line up and then reinstall the timing belt. Or can I just get the cover off and skip the step of suspending the engine while I rearrange the timing.

I have a 91 VR4 if that helps any.
Thanks in advance,
Garth

·
Registered
373 Posts
Unfortunately, YES

You'll have to take the motor mout off to get the lower cover off to get to the tensioner to loosen the belt enough to adjust it. It's a pain. If you're close to your 60k, you might just want to go ahead and do the service, since that's basically what you're doing anyway.

Sorry to break the bad news ...

Best of luck -- G

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure

I am not sure exactly but, Here is how I think it happened. I stopped at a store to pick something up and I think in the process of stoping the car but before I put the ebrake on the car rolled backwards with the car in gear which allowed the belt to loosen. Then when I got back and stared the car up the belt slipped. Now mind you I am not sure that I don't have any other problems yet, But I did check compression on front three cylinders and they seem to be fine. I will do the belt and then see if I still have problems.
Garth

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
when you have the belt area apart, check the hydrolic tensioner by leaning on the center pin. ive seen those fail, that would explain the rolling bakwards loosening the belt. also change the waterpump while your in there. just some good advice from some one who does this day in and out on these cars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i thought these tensioners where silicon

when you push your tensioner back in do it slowly in a vice ,like give the vice a turn then do something esle ,every time you go pass give it a turn

use a piece of spring that has been straighten , throught the hole of piston and body ,when you have set all your timing stuff up you shiuld be able to pull the spring out and push it in again ,give the engine a couple of turns let it sit for 10 min go and reinsert sping ,no go do it again , other wise you will have problems :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
yes, that is why if you take the tensioner, lean on the center pin, and it moves in (by leaning on it) it is NO GOOD. bad tensoiners will push in easily, and when the engine is turned off and there is vave spring tension pushing on it, it moves in. on the next start up the belt has slack and can jump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts