Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

this is a tough one. My water pump started to squeel and leak. So I bought the new parts and was going to change it. On the way home from mitsu the pump seezed up and the timing belt jamed up on the timing belt and the engine shut itself off. So I got it towed home and did the 60k change. When I'm done and go to turn it on I get nothing from the engine. I checked the compression and I have zero in four cylinders. here's how it looked. front 0-120psi-0 rear 0-0-120. Anyway I later found out my extended warenty would have covered my water pump and the related labor. So I want to switch back to the way it was before the 60k tuneup and take it to a shop for the warrenty. My guess is that the timing belt slipped when the water pump froze and I bent valves.

My question is when I put the old belt back on should I offset the timing belt a notch or two so it looks like it slipped. Any advice would help

thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
i am in the mist of the 60k myself and have done a descent amount of research on problems resulting from the timing belt slipping breaking etc.. For one replacing everything back to the way it was and trying to get them to cover the cost and labor probably will be ineffective. First I work at a dodge dealership in the shop. They will look at the scenerio and tell you you need a rebuilt or even a new spanking engine in which case price will be 17 grand plus possible labor I'm assuming if you did bend the valves which at zero clearence you probably did they won't cover anything. Assuming the valves are already bent, highly doubt your warranty covers a new engine therefore your warrenty is null and void. Basically your beat lost money on the parts you purchased plus your time (the only thing I could tell you is either try and sell the parts you bought or save them for next tune up) I wish I could tell you happier news, but I work closely with mechanics and have heard the horrer stories.

I hope this was some what imformative and helped if not my apoligies best of luck to you!:)

BlackRoseRT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.