Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I got about all the life out of this one but payday isnt until next week.
Do you think it will last?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
^
DM: "roll 1x d20 for joke detection"
Dice result: 1

Reactions: Paul H.

·
Registered
18yr Revived 95' VR4
175 Posts
I think I got about all the life out of this one but payday isnt until next week.
Do you think it will last?
I'll take it off your hands for 2 washingtons and some mcnuggets :ROFLMAO:

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go ahead and beef it up (SOLID tensioner if you haven't already)
BEEF!!

View attachment 303330
Already ordered everything (60K) from Rvenge with the solid tensioner.
Yes of course it a joke picture (knock on wood). When I first got my car it had 90K on it and I didnt know if the belt had been changed or not. I found the dealer 1 month later who had done the maintenance and no it had not been changed. It broke that day. :(

Its been a few years since I have done a 60K and Im sure it will take me a week+ due to no rush, working 12 hr days most of the time and 2 bum shoulders. I plan on changing all the motor mounts at the same time I also ordered from Rvenge to replace my 220K OEM mounts. I think I changed one of them about 10 years ago?

Im considering going with one of the extra capacity oil pans as well but I need to check my records and figure out if I have a 2 bolt or 4 bolt block. Its been a while, 20 years since I rebuilt it.

I really dont want to test my WiseCo pistons I had custom made 20 years ago with extra valve clearance to see if when the timing belt breakes if the valves still hit or not.

Reactions: Chang oil

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,264 Posts
You sure you wanna do those solids bro?

You engine rumble in the cab while driving is gonna be enormously irritating....
3000 plus pound vibrator.... you sure you wanna go that route

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,264 Posts
Taken the old mounts out myself
Cut the outer band to the rubber bushing with a dremel and the old bushing will fall right out
Now with these polyurethane bushings light coat of assembly lube or grease on the outer rim of them
Then find you a small size ratchet strap a decent one
The locate a 2x4 ruffly 10 inches long
4x4 piece of wood 10 inches long use the wood and ratchet strap to press your new polyurethane bushings into your OEM mounts
Makes it simple and easy for the fellas that don't have machine presses available to them
You might laugh how you think I did mind at my house

Reason for posting this those solid mounts are gonna hold every bit of engine / drive trane noise and send it strait into the cab
Even with these polyurethane bushings I still get engine / drive trane noise in cab buts its reasonable
Just my thoughts Paul

Attachments

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taken the old mounts out myself
Cut the outer band to the rubber bushing with a dremel and the old bushing will fall right out
Now with these polyurethane bushings light coat of assembly lube or grease on the outer rim of them
Then find you a small size ratchet strap a decent one
The locate a 2x4 ruffly 10 inches long
4x4 piece of wood 10 inches long use the wood and ratchet strap to press your new polyurethane bushings into your OEM mounts
Makes it simple and easy for the fellas that don't have machine presses available to them
You might laugh how you think I did mind at my house

Reason for posting this those solid mounts are gonna hold every bit of engine / drive trane noise and send it strait into the cab
Even with these polyurethane bushings I still get engine / drive trane noise in cab buts its reasonable
Just my thoughts Paul

View attachment 303338
Probably true but I'm committed now, sort of. Hopefully it won't be that bad since they are hybrid but younare probably right. If they are at least illnhave the oem ones out so I can replace the rubber and not be rushed to get it done.

Reactions: Chang oil

·
Registered
Panama Green,mostly stock with 13G's, Oohnoo SMIC, money pit
80 Posts
Paul H, those custom pistons you mentioned. I’m curious was that a special order of your design ?

P

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Paul H, those custom pistons you mentioned. I’m curious was that a special order of your design ?

P
It was a new designed I worked with a WiseCo to create. They are still available from WiseCo as far as I know. For some reason the first year they were produced anyone who wanted them had to go through me to order so I was the middle man and sold about 20 sets of pistons at cost. Never made a penny.

Ive never heard anyone having any problems with them and Im still running the same set almost 20 years later. Im not sure anymore what you have to call out to get them, maybe just need to call them and specify they are the ones with extra valve clearance.

Ill try to dig around later and see what info I can find.

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've never heard that one before. Can I ask exactly what your thinking is there?
You have never heard what one before? Carrying extra belts incase one breaks? Ive always done this on all my cars. When I change out the old belts for new ones they become backup if they are in good shape still or I just keep an extra set. Ive done a lot of wrenching on the side of highways in the past. Hopefully not in the future but its always better to have and not need than to need and not have.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You have never heard what one before? Carrying extra belts incase one breaks?
I've heard of people keeping spare accessory belts in the car but I've never known anyone to carry a spare timing belt.

You must have a reasonable amount of tools in the car with you?

MacGuyverying stuff on the roadside is great, I couldn't see myself doing a timing belt though.

·
Lovbyts
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've heard of people keeping spare accessory belts in the car but I've never known anyone to carry a spare timing belt.

You must have a reasonable amount of tools in the car with you?

MacGuyverying stuff on the roadside is great, I couldn't see myself doing a timing belt though.
Actually several of my friends have called me MacGyver for about 30 years. I always keep the bare minimum or more of tools in the car to get out of most situations. Small set of wrenches/ratchet, sockets, off road tire repair kit, air pump and of course duct tape, wire and zipties, JB Weld as well as a few spare parts. Oh yeah replacement headlight, taillight and accessory bulbs of course.

No I would get towed somewhere I could change the belt or have it done but by having a spare in the car you dont have to worry about ordering one or finding one.

Reactions: box

·
Registered
1992 3000GT VR4
1,264 Posts
It was a new designed I worked with a WiseCo to create. They are still available from WiseCo as far as I know. For some reason the first year they were produced anyone who wanted them had to go through me to order so I was the middle man and sold about 20 sets of pistons at cost. Never made a penny.

Ive never heard anyone having any problems with them and Im still running the same set almost 20 years later. Im not sure anymore what you have to call out to get them, maybe just need to call them and specify they are the ones with extra valve clearance.

Ill try to dig around later and see what info I can find.
So I take it these are the piston running stock cams to make the engine none interference to the valves ?
Like what Ray Pampena came up with years ago ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts