Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
F15 - The Fastest 1/4mile
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen a thread on alarms for a very long time....
I want a decent one, one that will let me know it is on or off (chirps etc), maybe a quick headlight flash.
What are your thoughts on alarms for our cars.
I don't want to spend a mint, and don't have to have the best, just starting to look at options.
I really dislike our stock alarms, you have to listen for the door mechanism to hear if it locks or unlocks and the range is downright pathetic.
Ok gang, let the opinions roll!
Thanx!

·
2,248 Posts
mobilebeatz said:
I.e. alarms by and large suck.
It's true... and even if you do, by chance, get a good one there is another factor to consider-- alarms are so common and so frequently false that most people treat them as an annoyance. People will hardly notice if an alarm is going off in a parking lot somewhere, so what good are they?

·
Registered
159 Posts
well, doesn't having an alarm atleast bring your insurance down a little?

·
Registered
706 Posts
the only reason I am planning to install a alarm on my stealth is for the conveince features, auto doors, auto windows, auto hatch, Remote start, remote headlights, etc... But make sure you get an alarm with enough features for you.

L

·
0 Posts
The best quality/price i've seen is the Avital Avistart 3300 (www.avital.com) which is made by DEI.. They only want $289 installed at my local audio store and it has a lifetime warranty...Cant beat that IMO

·
Registered
267 Posts
I bought my alarm from JC Whitney for 89$. Installed it myself (royal pain in the a$$) However, that saved me a good hundred bucks and them some. The best feature for security, is the starter kill. No one cares if the alarm siren is going off. But someone will proabbly notice after awhile while they are reaching under your steering wheel trying to rip out the alarm brain and reconnect the starter. One problem is that my alarm is a manufacturers failure and passive alarming is on my car even when the feature is suppose to be OFF. Grrr, Too lazy to send it back tho, so i guess not a big deal.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
My 94 R/T Turbo came with Lo-Jack and an Alpine alarm system. I love it. If your windows are down and you active the alarm it puts up the windows automatically. It also disables the starter if you open the alarm is set off. It does the normal headlight/taillight/interior lights flashing and chirp when you turn the alarm on. I think it's really great and I'd have to give the Alpine an A. I'm very happy with it!

*I forgot to mention that it also has hood/trunk decklid sensors, too. I have no idea how much it was since it was installed when I bought the car.

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
In this order, I have had Radio Shack, Viper, Alpine, and CodeAlarm alarms in various vehicles. The alarms themselves are all basically the same thing when armed, they just turn on a signaling device when an input is triggered.

Like these guys have said, look for an alarm with the features that you think you'll use or like to have. Starter kill is highly desirable, as well as door lock/unlock. You may want to be able to open your hatch or start your car remotely as well.

My current alarm is the CodeAlarm (sorry, I don't remember the model #) which has the basic door/hood/hatch and shock sensor (solid-state, not spring-type) and has starter kill, door lock/unlock, and can open the hatch/trunk if the vehicle is equipped with an electrically activated hatch/trunk. I also added a proximity (microwave motion) sensor in the console to monitor the interior when the windows are down, and am pretty satisfied with it.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
you should get an Aladdin alarm. it radios the signal back to your lil tiny pager screen if your car is being break into and tells you what part is is being tamper with ( door, ignition, trunk..etc )

·
Registered
727 Posts
Get the viper or the sidewinder...made by the same company. The higher models only have more options but all you need is the basic features so save your money. I have the sidewinder 6000 and i got it installed with the alarm for 250 total. Wasn't bad at all and it works awesome. Has lots of features and is well worth it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Save your money, if you are worried about someone stealing our car, just pop the hood, open the fuse box when you park and pull the 30 amp ignition fuse. Put it in your pocket or plug it into the "active areo" empty fuse slot if you own a dodge stealth (it does not have active areo, but the fuse slot is still there). It takes 20 seconds and all the bad guys will know is that the car won't start. COuld be alarm, could be kill switch, could be God knows what. You will know but they will not. The good news is it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, it works GREAT and best of all, IT'S FREE!!!!!!!!!!
<p>
I hope this helps :cool:
<p>
Dr. Jerry Scolamiero, 1993 Firestorm Red Stealth

·
your mom
303 Posts
I use a Crimestopper RS2005FM. Its a paging module and I like it a lot. It doesn't false alarm ever. I don't think its the most feature filled alarm system made, but I bought it for the starter, which has by far the best range I've ever seen on any remote car starter. I am a professional installer and have seen quite a few. For a feature filled unit, I think the Clifford Avantgard is the hot ticket and will work nicely with your 3s.

·
poser
2,611 Posts
Clifford used to make excellent alarms, until of course their dubious financial operation forced them to be melded into the nebulous hole of mediocrity: DEI...

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
what alarm should I get my my stealth. I have manual everything....doors....windows....transmission.....

·
Registered
727 Posts
doesn't really matter if you have manual everything. Just get the viper alarm system...almost everyone supports them and they are easy to use and work great.

·
need 4 speed
221 Posts
alarms are worthless

they are always going off and annoying. at my complex if your alarm is going off for more that 5 minutes they tow you. i've seen two cars towed with alarm screaming the whole way out.

my buddy and i came back from a baseball game. he pressed his unlock button on his alarm and nothing happened. we went around to the side of the car and his widows were smashed in. his hood was then opened and the battery disconnected. they got his $4000 stereo. the subs alone must have weighed 300lbs! (has theft insurance).

imho alarms are worthless. what is funny is when i see someone with a $900 car and while they are walking away from it you here the familiar "chirp - chirp" yeah, like someone would steal or even want the car. my advise is to park your car only in good well lit neighborhoods. i've gone places with passengers and have said in the past, no way am i parking here. i need to get a beater car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts