Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my driver's side tie rod end to slide out but it doesnt want to. How can I get the bastard to slide out? Even liquid wrench and beating the shit out of it isn't working yet. Any tips?

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TTT - Almost outta liquid wrench now. I'm about to set up explosives within the hub of the car.

Anyone?

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stlth664 said:
I dunno. But this is the LAST STEP in getting your down-for-5-months car running again!!! So get it out already! ;)
Workin' on it.... Then it's Chick-Fil-A! Lol

· Registered
2,395 Posts
You need a puller to get the inner-tie rod

· Booooossstt
7,838 Posts
What do you mean "slide out"? Are you trying to remove it from the spindle? If so you either need a)a tierod end puller. b)a tie rod fork. or c) put that castle nut on upside down and beat the sucker outta there! Good luck.

· Registered
774 Posts
A puller??? lmao Nahhh Here's what you do my man. Outter tie rod:

See the part that the tie rod goes through on the spindle? Ok get a trusty hammer, not a little peg whacker but a descent weight hammer ans wail on the part it goes through....It will pop right out. Don't worry you won't hurt anything doing this.

I do tie rods every day and never EVER had this method fail or cause damage to a vehicle.

Inner tie rod: You need a tool, NOT A PULLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are THREADED onto your rack & pinion you need either the proper tool or channel locks and enough room to get these out.

There is also a lock pin in there that must be installed after you put the ineer one back in DO NOT forget this!!! It keeps the tie rod from unscrewing and coming off!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
2,398 Posts
If you are having trouble getting the tie rod end to seperate from the jamb nut then I might have a solution. I had to do this about a month ago. I had to use a Dremel tool with the cut-off wheel. Just cut between the two then spray liquid wrench in the new crack. Keep repeating this until it finally comes loose. Just don't drill too far and go into the tie rod threads, then it would be hard to get the new end on there.

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PearlRT - The nut is already off. Just have to get the spindle through. I used a hammer for a while and it didn't do anything for me. I'll try again this afternoon...

TG - Thanks for verifying what I was already trying. I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PearlR/T said:
akira----You can't get this nut off before you get the tie rod end out of the spindle. The nut you have off is the castle nut. It looks like a castle. (obviously)
It's a castle nut with a cotter pin, yes? The nut felt loose, so I pulled the cotter pin and twisted the nut loose with a good bit of ease (it wasnt on their tight -- kind of makes me nervous).

· Native
6,313 Posts
OT but...

I would have figured Glockz' post to read like this

1) Point twin Glocks at car

2) Open fire

· Registered
2,398 Posts
Sounds like you need to find a tie rod splitter or pickle fork. (same thing) It's a metal bar that has to prongs at the end in the shape of a fork. You put it between the tie rod end and the spindle and either pry the end out or hit the end of the splitter with a hammer to get it in there.

If you're having this much trouble with getting the end out I hope the jamb nut comes off easily. That is the piece I had the most trouble with. See post: http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/showthread.php?threadid=157641

Good luck!

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
okay, got that out. Now I'm trying to get the hub to lift off the ball joint. There's a nut on top of it directly under the axle. The nut wont come all the way loose because of the axle being in the way. I can't remove the axle because it's stuck in the hub (That's why I'm removing the hub to begin with.)

Any tips for this one?

· Registered
774 Posts
Same deal, Whack on it with a hammer and use a pry bar at the same time. Awkward but it works well.

When it's loose use the prybar to hold it down while you remove the nut the rest of the way.

Just be sure the car is jacked up by the frame not the arm:D

· Grrr, baby, grrr
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally got it! You should see the size of my arms!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.