Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've had a tick for a few years now in my '91 stealth, but a couple months ago i started the car up after it was sitting for a week or so and it sounded alot worse than usual, it was more of a grinding type of sound inside what soundes like the drivers side of the engine, After my car was running for 5 minutes or so it went away. if i only leave it for a few hours it doesnt seem to be nearly as bad, but if it sits for a couple days or more it does that same thing, and gradually goes away as the engine gets warmer, I dont think it's lifter tick, but should i expect rod knock to get louder as the engine gets warmer??
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks. :eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lifter tick gets louder after not running for awhile usually because the oil drains out of the lifter itself.

Rod knock will get worse when the car warms up.

Sounds like you have the standard lifter tick to me.

·
Currently Boost-less
480 Posts
When was the last time you had a 60K service done (timing belt, tensioner, water pump, etc.)? I had a 95 base 3000 that started having that same symptom when I got well overdue for my 60K tuneup. Apparently it was the timing belt tensioner on mine, because it was gone after I did the 60K.

Hope this helps...

·
Whatever Man
2,678 Posts
Try using a Mitsu filter and heavier oil. That might take care of the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts