Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a new exhaust done next week and I just wanted some opinions from people who have already done theirs with these two glasspacks. I was thinking of 2.5 inch piping splitting into a "y" pipe going to two glasspacks for a dual exhaust. What I was basically wondering is which one (thrush glasspack or the dynomax bullet) would sound better and also work better for my car (i.e. enough backpressure since I have a 94 base 3000GT)?? I won't be removing the cat or pre cats. Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
go with thrush. i love mine. it's pretty loud and it sounds cool and crackles at high rpm's. it really just purrs at idle. after we put the glasspack on, it felt like a brand new car. the low end is amazingly strong. the high end is great. it goes to 7200 very quickly. if i can ever find my dang sound clip, i will get it to you asap.

·
Registered
476 Posts
have you ever heard a nice loud big block? that crackling at high rpm's that it makes is what happens sometimes. it's really sweet. since me and my dad are both lazy, we did a lot of scavenging and very little welding. we cut off the whole thing from the cat back and used some 18" long 2.25" pipe then the glasspack, more 18" pipe, the stock Y-part, and some flex pipe after the Y-bends. one weld at where the pipe meets the Y i think. lots of muffler clamps and hangers.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
would you recomend doing 2.5 inch piping or is smaller better for backpressure since I have a base 94 3kgt?? I was going to do 2.5 inch from the cat, to a y pipe that splits leading to two glasspacks on both sides. Does that sound good with 2.5 inch piping or should I go smaller?? BTW...i'm not going to take out my cat...i'm leaving it stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You don't really want more backpressure because more backpressure means air doesn't exit the engine as quickly making it need to work harder just to breath instead of putting power down. 2.5" is about the right size, to small creates extra back pressure and too large can actually slows down the exhaust. This is because the air swirls around the piping kinda like a tornado. Piping that is too large on a non-turbo car will stop this "tornado" from forming and exhaust slows down. You should get a muffler with the same interior diameter as the piping and the perferated core mufflers that you are mentioning are great for reducing back pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts