Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the size of the thread in the lugs? I need to buy some very soon. I think they are 1/2", but I'm not positive. Also, do i need lug nut washers? Thanks for your help.

Eric

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
In all my years, I've never seen washers or lock washers on wheel nuts.

Yes on a motorcycle axle, but never on a 4-wheeled vehicle.

(Which observation is meaningful only if I also mention that I've never had a wheel come off, so I guess lack of washers is normal).

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had American Mag Torq-Thrusts on my 1969 Chevelle SS-396. There were washers on the lug nuts. This was in the days before hub centric wheels but. I think most aftermarket mags in the 60's and 70's had washers.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
(none of this is helping Eric at all...)

What does hub-centric" mean? Other than lug nuts, the only other wheel fastening method I can think of is knock-offs, but they don't involve nuts of any kind.

Eric, if I think of it tonight, and if the frigging temperature gets back up into the double digits, I'll get out the tap-and-die set feeler gauge, and see if I can read you the threads-per-inch on my wheel studs. I've never really put much thought into it before, but I always just sort of figured that lug nuts were like politicians, and that "one size fits all".

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Eric, I make it as 16 TPI (threads per inch) and, to a lesser degree of certainty, 1/2" stud. I removed and measured one of my lug nuts for the threads, but I don't have a 1/2"-16 tap, so I'm just eyeballing the diameter. As much as I like you, it's just too damn cold to be jacking the car up to get the wheel off to see the stud proper.

Speaking of my credibility, I noticed to my chagrin that there is indeed a washer on the Stealth's lug nut. The lug nuts are chromed (why would they be? they're hidden under the hub cap) and there is a rather thick washer on the lug nut itself. Piss me off to be that wrong. So I ripped one off of my truck, and am partially vindicated - it has no washer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts