Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought i would share a local story with you.

(FORT WORTH, January 5) Funeral programs distributed before a memorial mass for the victims killed in Sunday's truck accident in Fort Worth show none of them was old enough to drive.

Five cousins died when their truck crossed the median on I-30 near the Loop 820 interchange, flipped and slammed into another truck. The driver of the second truck, Ruben Molinar of Plano, is listed in good condition at Harris Methodist Hospital in Fort Worth.

Police say they found identification at the scene showing at least three of the cousins were at least 18-years-old. But the programs handed out at Tuesday's mass indicated none of the victims was older than 14. The funeral home says it obtained the information from family members.

"I am very surprised that the information provided by the family to the funeral home is in contradiction with the information provided by the same family members to the medical examiner," police Sgt. Anne Cummings told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "I don't understand why."

According to the programs, the victims are Edward James Jennings, 14; Harry Gerard Gorman, 13; James Thomas McDonald, 13; John Peter McDonald, 13; and Martin James McDonald, 14.

Police say they plan to find out whether parents or guardians gave the children permission to drive the vehicle, which would be against the law.--

M

·
0 Posts
(Arlington Star Telegram; Arlington, Texas)

'From the beginning, investigators have had trouble establishing the boys' identities, dates of birth and next of kin. Police say that they have not determined who was driving the boys' truck. The youths carried identification indicating that at least three were at least 18 years old.

The funeral program, prepared by Mount Olivet Funeral Home based on information provided by the family, showed that none was older than 14. If those ages are correct, none of the boys was old enough to drive legally in Texas.

The information was new to the lead investigator of the accident on Interstate 30.

"I am very surprised that the information provided by the family to the funeral home is in contradiction with the information provided by the same family members to the medical examiner," police Sgt. Anne Cummings of traffic investigation unit said last night. "I don't understand why."

The boys' names, nicknames and birth dates were listed in the program as:

Edward James Jennings, "Little Ed," Nov. 19, 1985.

Harry Gerard Gorman, "Hankster," Sept. 16, 1986.

James Thomas McDonald, "Jim MC" April 5, 1986.

John Peter McDonald, "Johnny Boy," April 5, 1986

Martin James McDonald, "Little Mart," Oct. 30, 1987.'

The parents of the children lied about the ages to investigators which implies to me that they knew they had broken the law. They were trying to protect themselves. In their panic/grief they apparently didn't realize that the police would eventually discover the truth. I feel that the parent's should be held accountable for the damage the accident caused.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the second article states the fact better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts