Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you guys think about this set up

sony head unit, the one that folds down to see the controls, i think its like 350, or one of those panasonics or kenwoods, im open to sugestions,

then an mtx amp, im not sure of any model numbers, though i know i would only need one for the whole set up, its around 400

2 front polk speakers, then im not gonna get rear ones yet

and then i really want 2 mtx thunder 6000's, 12 inch, though im not sure it could fit back in my 92 stealth hatch, if i dont go with mtx, then maybe those alpine S subs, but im new to the audio game, so please give suggestions. Also what systems are you guys running. I expect to pay around 1600 for the parts, then my friend who is sponcered by mtx is instaling everything, rather than those people at circuit city

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found out the model names
AMP= MTX Thunder6500D amplifier

SUBS=Kenwood KFC-W3003 12" Woofer or Alpine SWS-1240 "S". or most likely mtx thunder 6000 12" im getting 2 of each

Head Unit-Sony In-Dash CD Player Brand/Model: SON CDXM620
or -Kenwood In-Dash CD Player w/MP3 Capability Brand/Model: KEN KDCMP8017 or Kenwood In-Dash CD Player Brand/Model: KEN KDC9017( i got all these from circuit city.com, im leaning twords the last kenwood)

speakers-all polk POLK 6 x 9 in. 3-Way Car Speaker

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Dont waste your time putting in back 6 by 9's use that money and buy an amp for your front 6.5's. I am Using polk comps in the front. I have a kenwood deck and the speakers need more power. Also 12's are going to be hard to fit in our car w/o building a custom box. There is less than a foot of clearance for the back hatch. Kepp in mind some subs want more volume than others.
If you like polk I would check out the deal in this issue of crutchfield they have the ex's subs hella cheap and a new sub that just came out that looks like it would sound pretty good.

When you put in your door speakers it is going to be a pain in the ass. Unless you get a mounting bracket because the way the onld speakers fit.

I havent heard anything good or bad about the Kenwood subs.

But I have heard good things about the alpine subs.

I rode in a camaro with 3 mtx 10's and I was suprised at how hard it hit.

I think no matter what subs you get if you buy quality and get a quality amp it should give you plenty of bass....just because the size of our cars.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
I have a pair of Kenwood 12" subs I use in my home stereo setup (8-ohm ones) and they are fabulous. They do require a large ported enclosure. They are an earlier 3000 series. Very good subs, though.

EricB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts