Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Paying Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed coolant & thermostat recently. Purchased a thermostat from CarQuest & another one from NAPA.
When I showed the CarQuest one to the NAPA guy, he said - "I'd use the CarQuest one if I were you."
The CarQuest is a Stant (made in Japan) $18.99
The NAPA is a Standard-Thomson (made in USA) $11.99
When asking for the gasket for these thermostats,
each one gave me a paper gasket that fits between engine block & housing, neither of which fit correctly.
When I was more detailed in my request, (asked for o-ring that fits on flange of thermostat), they looked in a book & found it.
When replacing thermostat, the old one was a Stant & did NOT have a rubber o-ring on the flange.
As a matter of fact, I chose not to use the o-ring,
as it did not allow for the thermostat flange to lay flush into the depression on the engine block.
Anyway, no leaks or drips - works great... :)

Here's a link to comparison pic of thermostats.
Obviously, the one on left is the Stant, one on right is the Standard-Thomson...
http://www.imagestation.com/mypictu...pg.orig.jpg&caption=thermostats&id=4244634616

p.s. - please let me know if link doesn't work correctly.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
FWIW, I got mine from NAPA two years ago, and the guy automatically gave me the o-ring type gasket. With the gasket, it was a perfect fit, and I've had no problems with it.

No idea which of the two brands it was, and I can't remember what it looked like, but it *was* 12 bucks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just had the NAPA thermostat installed in my Stealth. What's the benefit of the beefier thermostat? Does it make a difference in longevity?

·
Paying Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure 'bout longevity, just looks like a way more quality product....
not sure if the one I replaced was the original or not...
wasn't malfunctioning, just replaced it along with coolant.
I bought the car with 85K miles. Has 86K now.
The coolant looked like it had never been changed...muddy brown & only protection to +5 degrees F. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts