Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume there is a 195 degree thermostat in our cars. Is there any benefit in going to a 180 or even a 160 degree thermostat?
I only know old cars & how easy it is to advance the timing. Is there any way to advance timing on our cars for better performance & fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
John,

I just replaced the tstat on my VR-4 and I believe it's a 170-degree.

Dan

G

·
Dan, can you verify that the thermostat is cooler by a lower reading on the gauge compared to stock? If so, where did you get the thermostat at? I want one! Thanks.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
That sounds like a really good idea. I run a 160 in my Typhoon to help keep the knock down. Only question is, does the computer retard timing or run a less than optimal fuel curve until the engine is warmed up? If so, what does the computer consider "warmed up"? If it's 175 and you're running a 170 thermostat then you're potentially loosing HP...I bet "warmed up" is around 165 though...

Trevor

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Changing to a cooler t-stat will have no effect on rich/lean mixtures during warm up, because the computer has not yet entered closed loop where it uses o2 sensor readings. Anyways, mix info is determined not by coolant temp, but by exhaust temp (around 600 deg.). Actual coolant temp will always be just above the t-stat rating. Other than a slightly longer time to get heat out of the heater, I have never had a problem with low temp t-stats, and the TT cars warm up real fast anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.