Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3S addict since '95
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first Stealth... '91 Base, purchased from the original owner in 1995 with 29k miles, babied and always in the garage. It was damn near like brand new. I drove with towels on the pristine cloth seats for the first few months. Saved forever for lowering springs, wheels, and eventually found take-out leather seats for it (when you had to use the B-to-B yellow pages). Had a ton of fun with that car. And it eventually led to a life-long passion. Sold it in '99 I think... local.

Fast forward 23 years. Today a friend sends me a link to a rather "distressed" Stealth nearby. Of course, all my good friends know I'm a Stealth guy, so not unusual. But guess what?? It's my first Stealth. You might notice this has dealer-installed "R/T-Style" ground effects, along with a somewhat uncommon dealer-installed wing. Also still sitting on my Eibach springs, it would seem. And those projector fog lights I bought from Target seem to still be hanging on... at least by a thread! Poor thing has had a rough couple of decades. Here's some "then and now pics":

THEN (scanned from 35mm prints)

NOW (Seller's pics)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Someone has actually enjoyed the car, made memories in the car, driven it and used it the way cars should be. Be thankful it's not stacked up in a breakers yard, completely stripped out. Worse still, be thankful it's not parked up on blocks, rusting away on someone's front yard because it's a "project".

23 years is a long time. It's not all bad, to be honest it looks like it could quite easily be "saved".

Why don't you buy it back?

·
3S addict since '95
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone has actually enjoyed the car, made memories in the car, driven it and used it the way cars should be. Be thankful it's not stacked up in a breakers yard, completely stripped out. Worse still, be thankful it's not parked up on blocks, rusting away on someone's front yard because it's a "project".

23 years is a long time. It's not all bad, to be honest it looks like it could quite easily be "saved".

Why don't you buy it back?
Funny you say that... it's now sitting in my driveway.. While I think you're half-right... someone did enjoy it for a while (about 40k miles)... I believe that was a long time ago. Sadly, I think it has just sat an got baked up by the sun for the past 10 years or more. Fuel smells awful. Surprisingly, the car isn't rusty though and not wrecked. I think I'm most disappointed that my 18" wheels are long gone and replaced with these chrome KMC wannabes. Factory wheels vanished somewhere along the line too. But I'll see what I can do to breath some life back into it! Still has my Alpine alarm I installed in 1995!

·
3S addict since '95
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I ran a carfax on this car and it confirmed what I believed. It got parked 15 years ago. Has been driven about 200 miles since then. Looks like it's had 4 owners since me. The third one and fourth never drove it. Would explain the awful gas and the destroyed tank. I'll still get it going again!

·
3S addict since '95
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny thing is the guy I bought it from and his grandson threw all kinds of parts at it to try to get it to run... fuel pickup, pump, regulator, tuneup, maybe injectors, etc. But apparently never bothered to notice that the gas isn't gas anymore and the tank is rusted out and leaking. Ironically, I bought a NA parts car three days before that has a good tank and pickup, so we'll see what happens once I swap and replace the filter.

·
Lovbyts
4,222 Posts
Funny thing is the guy I bought it from and his grandson threw all kinds of parts at it to try to get it to run... fuel pickup, pump, regulator, tuneup, maybe injectors, etc. But apparently never bothered to notice that the gas isn't gas anymore and the tank is rusted out and leaking. Ironically, I bought a NA parts car three days before that has a good tank and pickup, so we'll see what happens once I swap and replace the filter.
Sounds like it should be an easy fix, hopefully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts