Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Is it more fun to be a "seasoned" citizen and driving a supercar than when you were younger?

• No, my knees hurt when I push the clutch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's that you said sonny?

Votes: 0 0.0%
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
14,435 Posts
Landua...damnit.
I wanted to say Tonneau, only because I own this Spyder thing....

Jesus Don, you need to share more of your background. My vision of you is your avatar (but with an ATX) that your wife took pictures of you doing burnouts in your driveway.
Yes, my mind works in mysterious ways....

Bob.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Cherry Red?
Mine was some Aquamarine Blueish looking thing. That gradually turned to some of that with some brownish/reddish primer to cover up the bondo I tried to patch the rust spots in the rear fenders with...
The only upgrade I did to that car was wash it occasionally, maybe followed by a vacuum.

Not sure how you guys aren't rotting in some small town jail....

Bob.
That's easy Bob. Don't go to small towns.

Like my cats say when I catch them doing something, "There may have been events that you've heard about that didn't happen the way they were reported at the time."

Although, you didn't hear this from me, I used to work on a friend's General Lee (honest to God, he was from Hazard too) one night and decided to take 'er out for a spin on open headers. Let's see, the one that did the U-turn on the bridge, the two going the other way on Grove Road, the one by the shopping center. I think that was all of them. My knees were rubber when I got home, let me tell you.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,481 Posts
Jesus Don, you need to share more of your background. My vision of you is your avatar (but with an ATX) that your wife took pictures of you doing burnouts in your driveway.
No that picture was from Dragway 42 (IIRC) up in your state of Ohio also ran at a Columbus area dragstrip (don't recall track name) couple of times. Sharing my background would completely derail this thread and it's not much different than many from that era.
Burnout.JPG

Edit: That burnout was a rolling one, not a still one in a water box and that was only rear wheel drive, that's what 90% nitro in a blown/injected Hemi allowed you to do even with hugh slicks on rear.

·
14,435 Posts
Obviously my weird brain humor was not appreciated again.
Knew it was a burnout, NOT in your driveway (could have been taken by your wife, so at least I got that going for me!)

Welcome to oHIo. We let all sorts of nuts come here...we're Buckeyes! (some sort of nut, never seen one, don't care) [I grew up in MEECHIGAN!]

But I digress...

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt

·
14,435 Posts
Whoa, you left out the Michigan part.
Have some sort of issues with Wolverines? Spartans? Broncos?

If so, we need to talk....

Bob.

Reactions: white93gt

·
Registered
158 Posts
No humor intended. Just appreciation for your existence!

Unlike you out of control youngsters, I never dabbled in high powered machines.
My first car was "non tire burning" 1970 Ford Maverick (I think it was a straight 6) 3 on the tree.
My Dad gave it to me in my senior year in high school (after he bought a Dodge Cordoba, blue with a silver half "leather covered" roof. (what the hell did they call that?)
Within the first few months of ownership, I managed to break the shift lever, clean off the console. A vision of things to come?

Na, other crappy cars, until I got interested in Mitsubishi's (what a mistake, should have picked Acura, lol)
91 Galant VR4 led to a 94 3000GT VR4 which led to my Spyder (and then a Stealth TT, which replaced a Jeep for a winter daily).

NEVER drag raced. Only have 1 speeding ticket (in the Spyder, on my way to work, in the dark, years ago [asshole cop :) ] {Ross if you read this, you know I love you, no ****!}

I live vicariously through you old fuckers....

Shit, I didn't mean to swear

Bob. ;)
My first car was a 1964 Ford Zephyr, locally built ckd from England.
Bought it in 1977 after saving up by doing a holiday job while at university living still with parents.
2553 cc straight 6.
It got a Y block then 351C and all sorts like CNG for cheap and a turbo but things go backwards.
I pulled the engine out in 1993 to fix it., 5 years of abuse from the C. It didn't get put back together until 3 xmases ago, 2017 but I still haven't wired it up to fire it up on the floor.
By 1999 I figured the best way to solve all of my previous boosted problems was to buy a 93 GTO, already got reliable boost,
The whole reason is the 4WD, just look at all those silly youtube vids of mustangs and camaro's going sideways when the boost hits.

47347082_1966967203350991_6249522542072037376_o.jpg (1728×1296) (fbcdn.net)

15055700_1168020633245656_206740195890315374_n.jpg (720×720) (fbcdn.net)

What are 1960s English Fords worth in US of A?? A unicorn?

One night I got so close to killing myself in it, but I just got so lucky, went across 5 lanes sideways with no traffic in the other 2 lanes. Same place right now today, there's a concrete median barrier.. A head on.

But look at today's technology It's all on google earth

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
The whole reason is the 4WD, just look at all those silly YouTube vids of mustangs and camaro's going sideways when the boost hits.
I watch those videos knowing my kit car could have taken any of them and wonder how in the hell could you be such a poor driver to just turn sideways into a tree, barrier, curb, other car, house, etc.. I swear none of these kids knows how to steer with the gas pedal. Personally, I strongly believe that anyone that buys a car with enough engine to get into that kind of trouble need to take a performance driving class or at the very least an limo avoidance class. People just don't realize how controllable high horsepower and torque cars are.

I do miss being able to do burnouts but the AWD hooks up so good I can get over it because 40 mph in a roundabout.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
This seems appropriate for us older guys. We really should educate our grand kids about this. Since we're coming up on the anniversary of what I consider the 2nd greatest achievement in the history of mankind, I wanted to post this video. Saturday, December 21 1968. I was 10 years old and totally enamored with space. This still, after all these years makes me very emotional every Christmas.

There are more HD videos of this but the audio on this one is superb.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This seems appropriate for us older guys. We really should educate our grand kids about this. Since we're coming up on the anniversary of what I consider the 2nd greatest achievement in the history of mankind, I wanted to post this video. Saturday, December 21 1968. I was 10 years old and totally enamored with space. This still, after all these years makes me very emotional every Christmas.

There are more HD videos of this but the audio on this one is superb.

I was 10 too and born in England, it was the very biggest TV event ever, when it happened. We only had B and W TV but remember well.

They did it far too good considering they missed the moon altogether 6 months before.
We got it all but was mainly animations.
The logo for the mission was a figure 8 which was appropriate for the orbits.

We are going to loose the contact in 5, 4 ,3 ,,,as they go behind the moon. 100% perfect.
Never once did I think they would fake it?

But then you think about distance and signal delay and ???
Then check out the conversations and change over delays.

The rocket launches and goes to the right.
Then we see it going to the left?
So that part is an animation?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I was 10 too and born in England, it was the very biggest TV event ever, when it happened. We only had B and W TV but remember well.

We are going to loose the contact in 5, 4 ,3 ,,,as they go behind the moon. 100% perfect.
Never once did I think they would fake it?

But then you think about distance and signal delay and ???
Then check out the conversations and change over delays.
I wasn't going to post this for a few days but what the heck, let's do it now so more people will see it.

I remember that Cronkite said that there was going to be a live broadcast from the moon on Christmas eve!

And the world tuned in. It surprises me that NASA still lets this be seen/

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Well, for those unaware, I did a major upgrade to the headlights, putting in LED projectors that fought me a bit causing the stainless steel trim that hold the headlight in to enter a finger. The good news is that the bone got in the way of an amputation.

So the install is 90% done, just need to disconnect the motors, raise them an inch and put the plastic trim back on. I'll probably put a clear lexan cover over them too.

So today, I tried to put the rest of the trim back on the bucket but the cut is nowhere near healed enough so the skin tore apart again. For those younger than 40, as you age, healing slows down, injuries take longer to heal - it's one of the causes of premature death. It has to do with the shortening of telomeres as we age where as our cells divide, there is a slight shortening of the telomeres in the cell structure. Welcome old age, "enjoy" your stay.

But, damn, them lights look good!

81 - 94 of 94 Posts