Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Is it more fun to be a "seasoned" citizen and driving a supercar than when you were younger?

• No, my knees hurt when I push the clutch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's that you said sonny?

Votes: 0 0.0%
61 - 80 of 94 Posts

Registered
91 Stealth DOHC R/T , 92 R/T TT, 2020 Dodge Hellcat
And a question. How the hell could we let this poor thread die a cold miserable death? Time to breath some life into it.

I JUST GOT A GREAT IDEA!
Lol, Been so busy finding new and different things missing from the other turbo I bought馃槀 not to mention I finally found an oil pump for the R/T, Yeah. While working on these in my heated shop I did find out 1 valuable piece of advice, If your wife buys you a new set of comfy insulated coveralls with the tight leg zippers, don't fart. It couldn't get out. Thanks babe!

Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
馃挬

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
Lol, Been so busy finding new and different things missing from the other turbo I bought馃槀 not to mention I finally found an oil pump for the R/T, Yeah. While working on these in my heated shop I did find out 1 valuable piece of advice, If your wife buys you a new set of comfy insulated coveralls with the tight leg zippers, don't fart. It couldn't get out. Thanks babe!
What brand of diapers were you wearing? :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I didn't know there were so many old fellas on here.
I retired at 50 and that was 12 years ago so I should qualify too. Since then I've done a bit of retraining on what I wanted to do as a young fella, that's using machines to cut metal to make things, then use welders to stick other things together, just for fun. It's amazing what's possible to do for zero expense.

Someone was asking above about TT blocks and what's available for use?
NO a Montero isn't a bolt in fit but if you put the time and effort in, it can be made to work .Pretty much every single part has to be modified to fit. It's very time consuming but to a retired person, no problem, just time.
I've dummy assembled a 72 stroker at 3350cc, a 74 Pajero (montero) 3.5 to fit a GTO, bored and stroked it to 95 by 91 mm for 3.9, then again at 95 by 95 for 4040.
A 75 block should go to 97 mm bore and at 95 stroke gives 4212
At 97 by 97 will give 4301
Going to the extreme I think that 99 by 97 is possible at 4480, just got to use the right formula of junkyard parts to get there.
Several years ago I found on ebay "SBC 5.9 inch nascar rods honda big end size" They're about the right length.
Honda big end is 48 mm so using a set of those offset ground on a 75 crank gives 97 mm stroke, in theory only. They're cheap but need narrowing, chamfering and the small end enlarging.

There's no shortage of challenges out there to do what hasn't yet been done.

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
I retired at 50 and that was 12 years ago so I should qualify too. Since then I've done a bit of retraining on what I wanted to do as a young fella, that's using machines to cut metal to make things, then use welders to stick other things together, just for fun. It's amazing what's possible to do for zero expense.

Welcome to the old man's thread where we reminisce about how we could have been a contender and how we got out only to be sucked back in. As a matter of fact Steve, my grandfather was a master metal engineer. I'll post photos of some of his work.

Quick history: My grandfather came over to Argentina from Austria just before world war 1. He was the Maximilian before me. Then he came to America and during world war 2, was the lead engineer for the wooden glider program. The OSS was at the house all the time making sure the Kraut wasn't some super secret spy for Hitler.

After the war, he opened his own shop, Oak Tree Metal Works, where he made functional as well as ornamental metal. Made his own trucks for hauling. His big business was in ornamental lamps where he worked out the chemistry for burnishing the metal. My mom did all the dipping when she was in high school. He made the lampshades out of old parchment documents. A lot of his lamps are in the White House. He made an African Violet plant stand for my grandmother that I inherited. I'll upload pics of it later.

Registered
Discussion Starter #66
The long awaited airshow photos. Didn't clean the glass on the scanner so they're as is.

MiG 29 Fulcrums, Kalamazoo, circa 1989. Interesting side note. While at Kalamazoo, the Blue Angels were also there wherein apparently some of that there glasnost was consumed wherein rides were traded between the MiG's and the F-18s. Heads rolled afterwards. You'll note one of the planes is a 2 seat trainer and the Blue Angels have a 2 seat trainer.......

This was where I was able to interview the designer (or F-15 thief as you prefer) who let me get up to the planes off the record. Guy looked like he was 15 but was in his 40s. The Russkies coated their fighters with a rubber bumpy paint. The reason why is an aero secret - it was done because they couldn't get the fit and finish good enough to break the Mach 2 barrier. The bumpy paint is like the dimples on a golf ball, reducing the drag by as much as 20% allowing for higher speeds.

An now you know one of my aero mod secrets, rubber undercoating. :cool:

You will note that tail number 304 has an added feature. Bullet holes in the 0 on the tail.

Registered
91 Stealth DOHC R/T , 92 R/T TT, 2020 Dodge Hellcat

Someone was asking above about TT blocks and what's available for use?
NO a Montero isn't a bolt in fit but if you put the time and effort in, it can be made to work .Pretty much every single part has to be modified to fit. It's very time consuming but to a retired person, no problem, just time.
I've dummy assembled a 72 stroker at 3350cc, a 74 Pajero (montero) 3.5 to fit a GTO, bored and stroked it to 95 by 91 mm for 3.9, then again at 95 by 95 for 4040.
A 75 block should go to 97 mm bore and at 95 stroke gives 4212
At 97 by 97 will give 4301
Going to the extreme I think that 99 by 97 is possible at 4480, just got to use the right formula of junkyard parts to get there.
Several years ago I found on ebay "SBC 5.9 inch nascar rods honda big end size" They're about the right length.
Honda big end is 48 mm so using a set of those offset ground on a 75 crank gives 97 mm stroke, in theory only. They're cheap but need narrowing, chamfering and the small end enlarging.

Welcome, Yeah, old farts like me were making big HP before all the younger generation now just bolt it on, lol solo many combinations of BBC, SBC, Ford and I can't go without saying the old 354 and 426 cast iron hemi I cherished so well. Now it's experimenting with 2 stealths, used to be a lot easier to find parts for the SBC then what I'm doing now. How the times change. Time for a nap馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
Welcome, Yeah, old farts like me were making big HP before all the younger generation now just bolt it on, lol solo many combinations of BBC, SBC, Ford and I can't go without saying the old 354 and 426 cast iron hemi I cherished so well. Now it's experimenting with 2 stealths, used to be a lot easier to find parts for the SBC then what I'm doing now. How the times change. Time for a nap馃榿
To this day, I can take an LA block and make it sing with DIY mods. There's nothing like a high deck 360 4 bold main engine to make people take notice.

I had a 3.9L LA block in my first Dakota that would beat my kid's 5 liter Fox body Mustang every time. Much to his "delight."

Isn't is time for you old farts to nap?
How can I get anything done with you cackling like a bunch of old hens?

Christ!

Bob. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
Isn't is time for you old farts to nap?
How can I get anything done with you cackling like a bunch of old hens?

Christ!

Bob. ;)
Took my nap at 6:30 ya old bastard. Maybe if you weren't yappin and shut yer pie hole we could get a nap in! :cool:

Or as JR Ewing once told me, "Losers tend to flock together." I'm pretty sure one of you is that idiot Cliff Barnes. Now excuse me, Miss Ellie is fixin to meddle again.

^^^ "Big Daddy" Don ^^^

Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
I was the announcer at the Nothern National once in the 70s. Big daddy came up to the booth for a while to chat. Super nice guy, wouldn't guess he was the best in the world at what he did.
Different Big Daddy Don, I never rated best in the world, that is just a label Bob OhioSpyderman added to humor me since my first name is also Don. First picture was the first (flopper) funny car I ran, it was an injected 426 cu/in Hemi that I ran on 80% nitro 20% methanol mixture. Second picture was a blown & injected, bored & stroked to 480 cu/in Hemi I ran on 85 to 90% nitro 15 to 10% methanol mixture and is car pictured in my avatar. I added (flopper) because I also drove an AWB injected Plymouth prior that many also called funny cars, but they were steel body's that didn't raise up on prop poles. Back then we called the one piece fiberglass body's that raised up Floppers to define the differance between the two.

No humor intended. Just appreciation for your existence!

Unlike you out of control youngsters, I never dabbled in high powered machines.
My first car was "non tire burning" 1970 Ford Maverick (I think it was a straight 6) 3 on the tree.
My Dad gave it to me in my senior year in high school (after he bought a Dodge Cordoba, blue with a silver half "leather covered" roof. (what the hell did they call that?)
Within the first few months of ownership, I managed to break the shift lever, clean off the console. A vision of things to come?

Na, other crappy cars, until I got interested in Mitsubishi's (what a mistake, should have picked Acura, lol)
91 Galant VR4 led to a 94 3000GT VR4 which led to my Spyder (and then a Stealth TT, which replaced a Jeep for a winter daily).

NEVER drag raced. Only have 1 speeding ticket (in the Spyder, on my way to work, in the dark, years ago [asshole cop :) ] {Ross if you read this, you know I love you, no ****!}

I live vicariously through you old fuckers....

Shit, I didn't mean to swear

Bob. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #78
Just found a new review of a Japan spec GTO on YT and did a thread on it.

Oh Bob....my first car was a 1972 Maverick, 200 straight six. Built. With sidepipes from a 1967 Corvette. Cherry red aircaft enamel, white stripes. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of it. Was in many car shows, on ABC news and did 4 laps around Indy in 1979. Best feature was turning the wheels hard over and just doing tire shredding donuts. Gave it to my little brother and that asshole took it apart and sold it to junkyard.

Fastest I ever got stopped for was 140 + in a 55 in my retired police car with a 351 in it. Sucked in town, had like a 2.2 rear end, was a demon on top speed but I knew the trooper and skated with no turnsignal lane change citation. Had a 200 mph speedo in it. And the best carb in the history of cars - the variable venturi.

Don't even get me started on my ZXR1000 Ninja or the kit car. Two vehicle that should have never been sold to the public. Like how the hell did Chrysler manage to get a NASCAR ready vehicle through the EPA? 10 mph highway, lucky to see 5 in town.

Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
My first car was "non tire burning" 1970 Ford Maverick (I think it was a straight 6) 3 on the tree.
Not much difference I started with a 52 Chevrolet Coupe 6 cylinder 3 on the tree.

Dodge Cordoba, blue with a silver half "leather covered" roof. (what the hell did they call that?)
landau roof

until I got interested in Mitsubishi's........ 91 Galant VR4 led to a 94 3000GT VR4 which led to my Spyder
Well you moved up to good ones. I just jumped in earlier on ~1960 and progressed full gone crazy from about mid 60鈥檚 to mid 70鈥檚.

Only have 1 speeding ticket
Got several of those first was for 135mph in 55 zone driving a 鈥53 Olds with a 鈥58 Olds J2 engine in it when still in high school, lost license for 6 months because of that.

The following picture is of a funny car (flopper) rolling chassis (body off) that I didn鈥檛 own because I never had enough money to go to that extreme, but I thought it was the best looking funny car I ever saw and I was fortune enough to build engines for it.
QuickSliver Chassis.jpg

Cherry Red?
Mine was some Aquamarine Blueish looking thing. That gradually turned to some of that with some brownish/reddish primer to cover up the bondo I tried to patch the rust spots in the rear fenders with...
The only upgrade I did to that car was wash it occasionally, maybe followed by a vacuum.

Not sure how you guys aren't rotting in some small town jail....

Bob.

61 - 80 of 94 Posts