Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Is it more fun to be a "seasoned" citizen and driving a supercar than when you were younger?

• No, my knees hurt when I push the clutch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's that you said sonny?

• What's a supercar?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ahh, the things we used to to make hp,, like 461 big valve heads were gold long before aluminum ,, I wonder if any of the kids out there weld the planetary gears together for the poor man's posi,, now how many remember that,,lol
I'm thinking about putting water/meth intercooler sprayers on my Stealth after I have some dull boring maintence stuff done. I'd try higher boost but that head float thing scares me. Hell, at my age I know a little too much about engineering and can imagine all the things that can break whenever I boost.

Good news is that I've found a garage in town that can work on the cars. How do I know? Damned MG on the front page of their site. If they can balance 3 webers they can change my timing belt!

They of course gave me the ususal "you can't buy parts anymore" to which I said, "Wanna bet?" And so the great "which timing belt do I get" overthinking jamboree of 2020 has begun!

When I was flying around in the kit car, we had a guy in town who's family owned a body shop. Well old Kenny decided he was going to be a 1/4 miler and got a Camaro and put a big block in it and blew the tranny. Then once he got a better tranny, twisted the drive shaft like a pretzel. Then it was the rear end in a million pieces. He did the homemade posi trick and as far as I know he never blew it out. One night we're sitting at the drive-in hanging out and down the street at the body shop there's a bbbrrrrraaapppp......braaaapppp and then it gets louder and louder and kenny pulls into the parking lot with open headers followed by 3 cops who made him take it back to the shop.

Had a guy with a Vega with a 454 in it in town too. Damn that thing was fast.

God, those were the days, eh? Of course living in Ypsilanti where almost everyone was a factory rat led to a lot of fast cars. Went to high school with a guy who's dad worked at the Rawsonville ford plant who managed to get a one off Cougar Eliminator with a 427 SCJ engine and gave it to his kid for a first car.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The thing about my kit car was I made it into a moonshine runners car - brake light kill switch, took out every bit of weight I could, blacked out the bumpers so I could hide off the road. Worked great on numerous occasions. Or so the rumor goes.

The thing that was cool about growing up in Ypsilanti is that the nickname of Ypsitucky is correct. A lot of the guys when layoffs came around would head back home and look for old cars in barns and such. The guy that did the mural work on my kit car came back with a GTO with the tripower package and the original red line tires on it with less than 8k. Kid that bought it was KIA in Nam and his mom wanted to be rid of it.

Another friend came waltzing back home with a 427 AC with open side pipes. It was pink. A girl raced it down south. Man was his wife pissed when he started that thing up. Shook every curio off the shelves in the living room. He wound up trading it for a 442.

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
We went thru so many muscle cars back in my teens and twenty. I wish I would have had sense enough to keep 2 o3 or 4 lol but we were always trading, like the 70 nova SS with factory 396, 69 charger with 426 wedge & 4 on the floor, 66 and 70 chevelles the one I really kick myself a lot over is the SuperBee just had to have it because Richard Petty ran that body I think 2 races before nascar banned it. They said it was to aero dynamic so car was unfair. Traded it for 69 Camaro SS/RS with 4 on the floor. And so many others. The military moved me a few times so couldn't keep up with moving whatever I had and no place to store anything. Just wish I would have known then what I know now,, like a lot of us. (sniff) the memories of hall street ,,Gateway ,, and roundly round live on.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
the one I really kick myself a lot over is the SuperBee just had to have it because Richard Petty ran that body I think 2 races before nascar banned it.
I'm pretty sure you meant to say SuperBird. Which had added aero dynamic features to what was the basic SuperBee platform. Things like high wing on back and tappered front nose.

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Now sitting here remembering back to the cruising times at white castle lots and Chuck a burger. Where did all the years go,, some of these things seem like yesterday till I look in the mirror 😭 I wonder if I could figure out a way to bolt a 471 or 671 blower on the stealth,, nah, I'm dreamin

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Yep, that's the one. Now sitting here back to the cruising times at white castle lots and Chuck a burger. Where did all the years go,, some of these things seem like yesterday then I look in the mirror 😭

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Heys guys if it seems like I post a lot here in the retired section it's because it's been so long since I was able to talk to anyone about the old cars we used to have when we were younger. Especially since this covid crap. A lot of kids now days just want someone to bolt power on for them and never learn how to do some things on their own. Not all kids so don't get me wrong. We have a ranch here in the Midwest and all the farms, ranches around me the kids are usually running big equipment when they are 12 to14. Again sorry if I go on too much :) Have a great day all and stay safe

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn remembering all the good times. makes me want to go out on Yeah catch me if you can run. Just the feeling of you know you just slipped the 5.0 and got away!! That was just a game back in the day . Now the risk is extremely High and i wonder why i still do such things?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Heys guys if it seems like I post a lot here in the retired section it's because it's been so long since I was able to talk to anyone about the old cars we used to have when we were younger. Especially since this covid crap.
Well, that's why I started the thread. Bolt on BS is all well and good but designing your own parts puts a bit of your soul into the vehicle. So here I am with a classic car in mint condition with less than 40k on it and I can't take it to any car shows because of a plandemic. I believe male bovine excrement would be the correct term.

I, as in me, was one of the participants in the 1st Car Craft nationals in Indianapolis wherein being one of the first 100 entrants got 4 laps on the Indianapolis motor speedway. Get you some of that!

And the real bitch of it is I know at least 3 people that have died from it and all my doctor friends (including the Hellcat doc) are scared to death of it.

Oh, and I just got done hand waxing the engine compartment.

And tomorrow I get to drive to Detroit to sign tax papers for the trust. And write a big 10k check to the IRfuS. Weeeee.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So now I'm wondering how hard it would be to convince the powers that control the board to create a retired old guys forum.

Anyway, being retired, what do you do during the day to keep busy?

4:00 am, cat starts tapping me for breakfast until I wake up. Bastard tickles my tummy. He's an ass.
5:00 am, hit my usual conspiracy sites to see who is trying to kill me today.
5:30 am, second up of coffee, play Asphalt 8: Airborne.
6:00 am, nap or shave....nap or shave.......nap 60% of the time, shave 35%, to hell with it 5%
9:00 am, listen to wife bitch
10:00 am, call the money guy, talk about investments, pretend I know what he's talking about.
11:00 am, read various incorrect technical articles
12:00 pm, turn on Limbaugh, listen to him bitch

After that I can't remember which is just as well so it's always a surprise.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,360 Posts
So now I'm wondering how hard it would be to convince the powers that control the board to create a retired old guys forum.
Better chance to just start thread in “Chatter” section and ask powers to be, to pin it as a sticky thread.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Better chance to just start thread in “Chatter” section and ask powers to be, to pin it as a sticky thread.
I was thinking ability have different subjects. But since we're so good at derailing threads it probably would be more trouble than worth.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've had the tunnel carpet out for a few months. Just decided to put it back in. A quick job turned into a project which turned into a effort of epic proportions which resulted in the car declaring a jihad. Half an hour later ONE is back on. @>!!#$]%&!÷[#]!&÷(!/. And a shit thrown in too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Saw a new in the box rear active strut on rockauto (1 left). Came here, wrote a post, went to get the link. Gone that fast.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Nice to see an old guys thread and read all the stories. Just turned 69 and retired 2 years ago. Back in the 70's I had an L78 SS 396 Chevelle I raced. Totaled it street racing and got a 68 RS 327 Camaro and raced that too but track only. Then we wanted a house and kids so the car went. After the kids left the house I got into TT Stealths and VR-4s. The first 92 Stealth TT I bought at an estate auction and got it for $1200.00. It had a nice TSW wheels, Borla exhaust, HKS 2" intake piping and a MBC. It smoked like a train but I drove it home 24 miles.
It had broken ring lands on two pistons and one cylinder was beyond repair. I rebuilt that engine and drove it a couple years.
Bought a 92 VR-4 with seized idler bearings and bent valves, rebuilt the engine with 13Ts and put all the Stealth goodies on the VR-4. Sold the Stealth and the VR-4 has been my garage queen for the last 10 years.
And now because I have nothing to do I bought a 63 Impala to fix. The little 283 was tired so I put a rebuilt Vortec 350 and a 700R-4 trans. A lot of work left like complete interior and paint, but it keeps me busy.
Oh, I usually start moving around 9:00, lol.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh, I usually start moving around 9:00, lol.
9 am?! The afternoon shift. Hey, I had a friend into the bowtie. There were three of us that hung out, one was a chevy another a Ford guy and me who started as a Ford and found my calling with mopar.

Gary had a 1972 Camaro that he bought new, threw in a heavily built 396, a manual automatic and had about 20 grand in murals and another 10 in chrome parts. Everything was chrome on that thing. Won Autorama best in show 3 years running. He took me to help him set up for the show and in 78 Farrah Fawcett's vette was there but the wheels didn't get shipped so she had to sit on the hood for the pics so nobody would know it was up on blocks. I of course was standing to the side snapping away.

Afterwards Farrah Fawcett stomped over to me and called me an asshole. There might have been some f-bombs mixed in there. So yeah, I got the 6 million dollar man's old lady pissed off. One of my many talents.

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Ok, guys , ya all know I'm an American muscle car guy. This is my 1st, Stealth which I bought for my grand daughter. I didn't want to start another thread so I thought I would just ask.. Here is my dilemma, the machine shop that has the block, pistons rods and crank and Stll haven't looked at it yet and it's been 3 weeks. They blame everything on covid,, 1 other shop tells me about the same. I would like to get something back in this car so she can drive back n forth to school. Here is my question,,Did Mitsubishi use this 3.0 DOHC non turbo engine in any other cars that would bolt up in the stealth? I can't find anything on the net after days of searching,, maybe I need to try different search engine or something. Mitsubishi doesn't answer my e-mails. Any help from y'all would be appreciated by this old fart. Starting to get cold in the shop and really don't want to kick on the heaters yet

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,959 Posts
I "think" a TURBO 3.0 6G72 (depending on year) will work....
Also I "think" a Montero engine will work...
There are much more "mechanically inclined" members that I hope will join this conversation...

Bob.

Lots of engines on EGAY, but.....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Mitsubishi doesn't answer my e-mails.
Good one. 🤣 :ROFLMAO:😅

The Facebook group always has someone parting out a car. Right now there's a TT being parted out.

I've also been told a 3.5 Montero motor will drop in.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts