Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Is it more fun to be a "seasoned" citizen and driving a supercar than when you were younger?

• No, my knees hurt when I push the clutch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's that you said sonny?

• What's a supercar?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm finding that I'm hitting the gas pedal less as I get older but still like to wring it out once in a while. After all 40 years without a ticket makes me think twice.

That said, there ain't no damned SUV going to cut me off when their lane ends.

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Didn't want to mention in the other thread that I also bought a Hellcat for myself this year, lol The mind is still working,,I just avoid mirrors

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
So I'm both over 60 and retired. Going to do some more on the stealth today,, what I didn't mention in the other thread was that I also bought a Hellcat for myself 4 months ago and know where the pedals are. Been pulled over twice but just warnings,,(whew) my mind is still 22,, I just avoid mirrors,, hehe

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm both over 60 and retired. Going to do some more on the stealth today,, what I didn't mention in the other thread was that I also bought a Hellcat for myself 4 months ago and know where the pedals are. Been pulled over twice but just warnings,,(whew) my mind is still 22,, I just avoid mirrors,, hehe
A Hellcat, eh? In my early days I bought a brand new 1978 Plymouth Volare' Kit Car that they put a honest to God NASCAR engine and drivetrain in. Damn, that thing was fast, high 10 1/4 miles. That's why I own a Stealth. Reminds me of it a lot.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm interested in how many of us are on Social Security? I started taking my benefits this past year on my 62nd birthday. We've got plenty of alternative income. Plenty. And the Dali Lama once told me (the 12th son of the Lama, the flowing robes, the grace) that when I die, on my deathbed, I'll receive total consciousnesses. So I got that going for me.

I could easily get away without SS but hell, I paid that crap for 50 years.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
I certainly qualified for the ABOVE 60 part as few here already know and I’ve been retired for a FEW years and have been receiving SS for FEW years already.

I haven’t had a VR4 or certainly don’t have a Hellcat, but do have a short story ya’ll might enjoy.

In 2004 wife and I was out car shopping for new car, one of few new cars I’d purchased up to that point. We went for test drive in a Subaru Outback wagon with salesman in back seat. When I was driving around, the salesman says punch it and that I’d be impressed how fast it was, I glace over at my wife and saw her grinning, I just simply tell salesman that I’m pretty sure it won’t impress me. I didn’t bother to explain to salesman that after running cars like in my avatar that regularly ran ~ 220 mph in ~ 6.5 second ¼ mile runs, was why that poor Outback 4 cylinder wagon wasn't going to do it, which was exactly what my wife’s grin was all about.

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Lmao, my story kinda went the other way after the challenger came in the salesman said he had to go with us because all that had been paid was the deposit on ordering it. I too looked at my wife and she laughed a little,(Been racing since 16) The salesmen says "now you know this car has a lot of power" Really, well we will take it easy on the hwy. I went to hwy 40 and luckily not much traffic. I asked him for the red key fob because I wanted to just hear the difference. He very reluctantly handed it to me and asked to take it very easy. Unfortunately for him I didn't tell him that I had already studied the launch options and different traction options. After I hit 147 he was yelling at me to please slow down. I told him I hadn't really punched it yet. I looked in the rearview mirror and he was totally white so I did slow down,, didn't want him sick in the car. My wife swears he loaded his drawers but I don't really know. We got back to the dealership to finish the paperwork and I never seen him again. The general mgr. said he would explain all the options and show me how to pull them up on the screen. I thanked him and told him there was no need for that but that I would like the black key fob back. I guess the sales guy still had it. Lol, well that's the story of picking up the Hellcat, when I'm done with my grand daughters stealth here we'll put her thru her paces too. Just wish I still had the stamina to put more time in it,,, too many aches and pains. Not too much patience anymore either. Hehe😎

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
My wife swears he loaded his drawers but I don't really know.........
I would like the black key fob back. I guess the sales guy still had it. Lol,
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heh, when I test drove the kit car I raced a vette. Beat the crap out of it and scared the same out Mr. Swarmy salesman who had no idea that Car Craft had the damned thing on their cover in August. Hehehehe. Last line of the article "the car looks like a rolling joke but the punchline is delivered with the right foot."

Very first thing I did was stop by Ramchargers and buy a racing kit for the transmission. While I was pulling off the valve body a ball bearing fell out and rolled who knows where. Took one from my bike and put it in. Best move ever - ever seen an auto trans spin tires for all 3 shifts? 50 series tires, BTW.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
ery first thing I did was stop by Ramchargers and buy a racing kit for the transmission. While I was pulling off the valve body a ball bearing fell out and rolled who knows where. Took one from my bike and put it in. Best move ever - ever seen an auto trans spin tires for all 3 shifts?
Let me guess, it no longer shifted automatically and Drive position was low gear, #2 position was second gear, #1 position was third gear. And it felt like a car wreck everytime you moved leaver to next gear?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Negative. All worked as desired. The most solid high pressure shifts I've ever seen. I've always thought that because I did the mod when the car had less than 50 miles on was a factor.

The kit was so it could be shifted manually as much as the driver desired. There weren't any aftermarket parts for it so I had to build my own floor shifter. Figuring out the ratio of the mechanism so it the detents on the shifter matched the shift plate on the transmission took the better part of a day to get just right.

When I started the work on the motor one of the things I had to delete was the kickdown arm because the new carb didn't support it so that shift kit was a good idea as it turned out. And I had to manually trigger the choke heater. It loved to vapor lock when mid warm so I used a formula Ford electric fuel pump, deleted the mechanical to remove the parasitic drag on the engine and shut the pump off and let the engine starve before shutting off. Most of the time I also disconnected the power steering pump too. Had to chain the engine to the frame because of the torque twist.

·
Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
2,368 Posts
Negative. All worked as desired. The most solid high pressure shifts I've ever seen. I've always thought that because I did the mod when the car had less than 50 miles on was a factor.
OK.... that was only the shift mod, but yes they were hard shifters, I'm familiar with it because I ran modified TorqueFlites in several cars during 60's. Many here probably don't know but those were the transmissions that started the automatics replacing manual transmissions in drag racing, started basically with '62 Dodges/Plymouths with 413 cu/in engines running 727A TorqueFlite automatics.

What I described was a more modified TorqueFlight that not only had shift modification, but also had shift block off mod along with governor elimination. At that point nothing happened again automatically, when ever a gear was selected it stay that way until different selection was made even to point you could put in reverse with full throttle and at high speeds by accident, wonder how I remember that :unsure:;). I mentioned car wreck because with high horsepower engines and wide rear slicks, if you were only at partial throttle or engine not making full power (not turning tires at shift) and you shifted to next gear the impact was so hard it felt and sounded like someone had just hit you in the rear-end.

·
Registered
91 Stealth DOHC,
34 Posts
Ahh, the things we used to to make hp,, like 461 big valve heads were gold long before aluminum ,, I wonder if any of the kids out there weld the planetary gears together for the poor man's posi,, now how many remember that,,lol

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, the 727 is a great tranny. This was the high deck 360 with all direct connection parts both top and bottom end with a rear axle from a dump truck of all things all done by Dick Chrysler. And the torsion bars on the kit cars were from HD trucks too. I used to rest the bars right on the rubber bumpers on the frame when I was road racing without any issues at all.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts