Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, guys.

FYI: There have been over 40 people with the NEW designed CFDS from ACPT, and none have reported a vibration issue.

PLEASE DO NOT PUT YOUR NAME ON THE LIST UNLESS YOU INTEND TO PAY IMMEDIATELY (after we have our 10).

THIS IS A NEW AND IMPROVED CFDS FROM ACPT. The machining looks better and it is lighter. They improved on the past version by using forged billet aluminum end fittings instead of the cast steel. This should make the CFDS lighter than the 16.1lbs.

For those who do not know what the 1 piece CFDS is:

-It is a 1 piece driveshaft that replaces ALL THREE sections (carrier bearings and all) of your stock driveshaft. This rids of any maintenance that is required by the stock driveshaft. There is no replacement parts to worry about. No money is needed to replace these stock parts if they go bad.
-The more joints you have in your DS the more power is lost through those joints. The CFDS replaces all of those joints.
-The CFDS weighs less than 16.1lbs where as the stock DS weighs nearly 50lbs (if memory serves me correctly).
-Due to the rotational weight savings and no more power loss through the joints, you get more power to the wheels.
-Better transmission-to-wheel engagement so you don't feel or hear the "thud" when you step on the gas.
-Helps with better gas mileage.
-Faster Revs
-Estimated to free up ~20+ awhp/awtq.

A quote from [email protected]:

Why did I choose ACPT over PST? Well, I wanted to stay with a 1 piece. I didn't see much logic in getting the 2 piece. If I want to replace something, I want to replace all of it. PST offers a $1200 (+shipping) 1 piece CFDS, but there have been enough vibration issues with those to keep me away. And if their carbon fiber products are good enough for aerospace use, then it’s good enough for my car.

I've had a total of THREE (100% success rate and none vibrated! If vibration was an issue with ACPT, I wouldn't get a 4th one) 1 piece ACPT CFDS on my cars and I can tell you it makes a difference. Power to $ ratio is not the greatest, but it still made it noticable. But the best thing is that it got rid of the "slack" that was in my driveline. Driving experience to $ ratio is pretty high to me.
If you want the 1 piece CFDS that replaces just the front two sections, please PM me.

Immediate payment is required. Estimated delivery is 3 weeks.

The GB price would be $1200 shipped to your door (in the USA only. Extra for international).

Copy and paste and put your screen name and speed type on the list.

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
Throw me down on the list please.

·
Elevate
1,121 Posts
How can you confirm that no one that purchased this had vibrations? And under what conditions has it been tested? What has been done to address the excessive angle of a 1 piece?

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Is the fearpb group buy this now?

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shizane: Reliability is great. I've never heard of one snapping or breaking and neither has the manufacturer.

vSol: My statement was that none have reported any vibration issues. I've built a good relationship with ACPT and I've helped put 40+ of these units on 3si.org. If any members had an issue, I would be the first one they would contact. It's been 4-5 years since my first GB and none has contacted me about any issues. Under what conditions? I would have to say real life conditions by real life members. Also, the manufacturer puts each of these units under high speed balance and load testing. As for the angle: There's never been an issue, so I am not sure if there needs a resolution.

Hard Attack: Yes, this is the official GB. Please put your name on the list braaa:)

1) fearpb---5 speed
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
You either had to really be in the process of replacing your current drive shaft or have the spare $1200 to shell out for one of these.
I have a PST 2-piece aluminum hybrid and they are rock solid.

There is quite a bit of an angle where the joint connects (thus the reason there is 3-piece stock) and it's hard for me to imagine how a 1pc drive shaft rectify this without vibrations.

None the less, if you have $1200 to shell out, it's a very nice buy!
3SX has the 1pc CFDS on christmas for this price.
woot on.

·
Elevate
1,121 Posts
Shizane: Reliability is great. I've never heard of one snapping or breaking and neither has the manufacturer.

vSol: My statement was that none have reported any vibration issues. I've built a good relationship with ACPT and I've helped put 40+ of these units on 3si.org. If any members had an issue, I would be the first one they would contact. It's been 4-5 years since my first GB and none has contacted me about any issues. Under what conditions? I would have to say real life conditions by real life members. Also, the manufacturer puts each of these units under high speed balance and load testing. As for the angle: There's never been an issue, so I am not sure if there needs a resolution.

Hard Attack: Yes, this is the official GB. Please put your name on the list braaa:)

1) fearpb---5 speed
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
I forget which manufacturer, but one of them states that the driveshaft in a one piece version would have to be thicker than the space allows in order to maintain proper balancing due to the angle. I was set on the 2 piece alum/steel but now this group buy has me thinking.
You either had to really be in the process of replacing your current drive shaft or have the spare $1200 to shell out for one of these.
I have a PST 2-piece aluminum hybrid and they are rock solid.

There is quite a bit of an angle where the joint connects (thus the reason there is 3-piece stock) and it's hard for me to imagine how a 1pc drive shaft rectify this without vibrations.

None the less, if you have $1200 to shell out, it's a very nice buy!
3SX has the 1pc CFDS on christmas for this price.
woot on.
How do you like the 2 piece and was it noticable? You can pm if you would like

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
First thing I noticed with a lighter DS that is half the original DS weight:
Car actually wants to move when you let the clutch out just very little. Car feels "lighter" in this sense and not so much a pig.
It feels noticeable easier to accelerate.
I'm happy with my 2 pc DS. Best thing I could have done since both my carrier bearings were shot! "Guh-THUNK" on every shift!

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Nice!! So how much are they originally?

1) fearpb---5 speed
2) hard attack---5 speed
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
I would be afraid^^ unless you spaced it up

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
As I have people asking, what is the warranty on these?

·
USMC
5,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
3000gt3000gt; I never understood why some want to replace only 2 pieces and retain one stock piece...do it once and do it right is my philosophy, especially since vibration isn't an issue. It's like replacing 3 new tires and driving with 1 use one...haha.

vsol; the shafts in this group buy is a 3.25" diameter and they are able to make it work without angle being an issue. I'll get back to you about the sway bar. I may not have an answer for you.

Hard attack. ACPT charges $1900 for the "true" one piece.

As far as the warranty, I'll get back to you guys on this.

·
One fix at a time
7,768 Posts
I've had two ACPT 1-piece driveshafts up to 160 mph with no vibration issues. Worn motor mounts or bad diff bushings were the main cause of vibration issues I found. There's way too much slop in these cars because nobody replaces the 15-23 year old parts! Do it right and it'll work. I have a 1-piece PST CFDS I'm tempted to replace with an ACPT.

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
I've had two ACPT 1-piece driveshafts up to 160 mph with no vibration issues. Worn motor mounts or bad diff bushings were the main cause of vibration issues I found. There's way too much slop in these cars because nobody replaces the 15-23 year old parts! Do it right and it'll work. I have a 1-piece PST CFDS I'm tempted to replace with an ACPT.
Is 160 the highest you have taken it to?

Also, how many launches have you put it through?

More info in this pile the more attention it will get.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
My ACPT did snap up near the transfer case during a shift to third gear. I contacted ACPT about it so they should know of at least one failure. I had bought mine back when GT Pro was doing their group buy around 2006. It was supposed to come with a lifetime warranty, but guess not. With that said the DS held up for a good 7 years and I didn't have any vibration issues with it.

·
Escaped
4,773 Posts
Did you DD the car with the CFDS on it? What condition of driving were you doing when it snapped?

1 - 20 of 142 Posts