Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
When you left our place those rims were a mirror finish lol.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #162

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
With all that lawn... Beautiful and green, you're a lucky man. :rolleyes2

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
I only see 7 antenna John. You gotta keep Scotty happy and install a cb in the newest car.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Good call lol

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I only see 7 antenna John. You gotta keep Scotty happy and install a cb in the newest car.
Two way here but shipped with wrong aerial. Correct one been sent.

Kind of a pity to change the audio set up. Japanese Panasonic with everything. On the trip home I managed to decipher a fair bit of it.
Every thing in Japanese, even talks to you in Japanese, but if you put Suzi Quattro CD in, it plays her in English and just like ol Suze is in the car with you.
OZ radio comes through in Australian as well.
Can't find a spot to plug my Ch,ch,ch,ch,ch Cherry Bomb, USB in though. Says USB on front but I didn't find it yet.

·
one day
483 Posts
Hey John, great pic!

Do you really like white GTO's or was that by chance?

Glen

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Benjoid,
Really enjoying what I am doing atm.
Made an offer on a good value car I found a few days ago, wait and see what happens there.
Been searching hard for a tiny little Mitsubishi brochure but no luck there yet.
Don't wish to purchase it at all, but still keeping an eye out for the last NA 4Speed Auto GTO. ( The last NA 5SPD manual was auctioned not long ago ) Just so we know where the last ones all ended up.
Been researching rainforest trees and plants, which is really out there when you consider how much effort I put in to killing trees in the past so grass would grow.
Fun thing I am planning to do shortly is take a load of Avacado's inland in the 99. They are selling for $3 each in Longreach. We have a tree here with about 700 on it.
Kind of amuses me, 1000km same day delivery. I reckon I can get about 200 avocado's in the GTO. Looking forward to it. Could be mush before we get there. Won't starve anyhow.

Edit.-- Jazz 9 Was by chance. Last two were for serial number, would not have mattered what colour. Big advantage though, when I have a prang I will have lots of spare panels.

Warwick,- Red looks good. I noticed at Brisbane NG last year as we went along the esplanade it was the red ones caught people on sidewalks attention most.
My personal opinion though, In my situation If I got a red one it would say " mid life crisis ". ( Thats me only )
I prefer to think driving a 3s is making my second childhood better than my first. So I guess I have avoided Red.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I got nothing... Bloody Beautiful!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
i think my heart just skipped a beat - in a manly hairy chested way lol

Top bloke owning a bunch of uber rare cars, top co-pilot

Not much more in life a bloke could ask for realy

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
When we got back from USA took this car for a run. It had sat for awhile. Had been all good last drive.
Now at about 3000rpm and more accelerating it occasionaly missed a beat or two and sometimes made a popping sound ( Only once or twice after missing a beat ). Still went on to full throttle and full boost on stock boost gauge.
Did some research and decided a rat must have bit a hole in a pipe or line while we were away.
Made this to pressure test,-

Pete, tape measure got kinks measuring around MAF end, so I used that SST shoelace again to get the circumfrence measured.
Cut a piece of flat strap that length and welded the ends together. Sqeezed it in the vice to make an oval like the MAF, welded a lid on it and put a michelin valve stem in.
Tested to 10lb no leaks, tried again just under 20lb. Put a Aunt Marys baking soda tin in the Y pipe to throttle body part of Y pipe to isolate that part. Tried a new EVO 9 BOV when I noticed air goes through stock one. ( Both opened at their correct pressures with vacuum tester ) So all good. Started looking for something else.
Moisture in tank ? ( we get lots of condensation here ) Drained some fuel, all good.
Maf, no, swapped with another car. Wastegate solenoid, No. Tested ok and swapped another for good measure. Timing ? no belt still tight, marks on front two good so didn't look further there.
Tested for spark at coil with inline strobe light tester. All good.
Checked leads on front bank for resistance. NGK BK6E plugs seemed okay in front bank.
Checking on the forum spark blowout seemed most likely after air leak.
Just luck I tried Platinum NGK PFR6-J11 in the front bank and hesitation and occasional popping sound are gone. Back to how it used to be,
Went for a run down and up the Gillies Range.
The missing a beat, hesitation has to be a spark plug miss. But the poping sound ? Like as if you stamped on an empty coke can.
Exhaust system has no leaks. I even got under it running on the hoist and listened and felt for air.
I think it has to be the wasted spark I read about,on the exhaust stroke, that normally has nothing to burn, igniting unused Fuel air mix left over from the miss on the compression stroke.
Would like to know for sure if someone can tell me. Got a lot to learn about these cars.

At the bottom of the range.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
That popping sound can be caused by a car running too rich and unburnt fuel sitting in your cylinders due to your spark blow out.

If both the exhaust popping and hesitation are gone with the the spark plug change id say you've got it worked out buddy.

·
Banned
356 Posts
Spark plug leads, open your bonnet in the dark, with motor running, rev rev, some times you see a glow, or a guy fox night, worked for me, now runs better than new.
Or you could utilize the fact that you have so many cars, move on the the next one, in the row.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
That popping sound can be caused by a car running too rich and unburnt fuel sitting in your cylinders due to your spark blow out.

If both the exhaust popping and hesitation are gone with the the spark plug change id say you've got it worked out buddy.
I sure hope we have got it. Was worried for a bit.
Would have been a lot less worry if we had found a rat did chew on something.

I get the unburnt fuel in cylinder part. And got it could Pre -ignite before ignition specially if engine hot or some little irregularity in head hotter than everywhere else. Think that would be a more violent bang.
I only went on short test runs after I had tried whatever remedy and could still get full acceleration. ( as in engine at operating temp, no hotter )
Interested if it is the wasted spark electrical system in 6G72 engine igniting unburnt fuel on exhaust stroke ?
( LOL, would the turbo spin faster ? I mean to say, this is ignition and explosion right in front of the exhaust turbine wheel. IE can't all get out the wastegate at once. I was getting some great boost. Bit like Timmys running 110% and pulling like a champ !! )
Apart from the stumble and the pop we were getting there quicker than usual.
Maybe so much was all happening at once, it just seemed like it.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
And got it could Pre -ignite before ignition specially if engine hot or some little irregularity in head hotter than everywhere else. Think that would be a more violent bang.
With the stock setup you have there is simply no chance of pre-detonation, remember from factory all cars are tuned so under 99% of conditions you are safe. Popping isnt a violent motion as it does not happen inclosed in your cylinders, if anything possible igniting whilst the exhaust valves are opening. Leading back to my previous comment about no spark.

would the turbo spin faster?
Introducing a random ignition of unburned fuel could simply disrupt the turbos natural rhythm and to have 3 cylinders doing something different to the other 3 means i highly doubt any gains would be made here if anything a negative would be created.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Thanks Pete.
Looking forward to sharing a drink at the NG. Not long now.
We might be able to convince ourselves we got em spinning faster then.
Big thing is GTO is all go. Back to normal.

161 - 180 of 216 Posts