Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

41 - 60 of 216 Posts

·
Australia
1,841 Posts
Awesome shot of all three together. Most likely the only one with three legit Mk. 4 GTOs :)

I see you have added extra aerials to the other cars. Also I reckon you are a few cars short of opening a GTO museum lol...

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks Tim, No museum for me.
I have been teaching myself to clean a car better, specially the engine bay and it is alot of time to do it properly. ( Actually have not mastered "properly" yet, not even close. )
I did not think I would part with the 99, but am thinking about it now. That would make it easier to get the Co-pilot on board if another good 2000 calender year car turns up.

Just as a matter of interest, I think at least 4 of the 79 Twin Turbo GTO's produced in the 2000 calender year are in Australia now. My two, a black Z16, and I heard about one more I have not managed to track down yet.

Been fighting the computer trying to squeeze out a bigger sig pic for the last hour or so, call it a day I think. Try again some other day.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Tidied up intro to this thread so it makes more sense.
Basically Z15A0600290 N/A looks to be last 3s to come off production line.
This car Z15A0600289 TT looks most likely to be the last 3s Twin Turbo.

And finally got sigpic right. Forgot how, since we did the last one.

·
Color: Arrest Me Red
1,889 Posts
Wow! Nice collection.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Jesters Deadd, Thanks, Reckon I can learn alot from you though. Hope we can meet up some time.

WestAusGTO, Nope, Your car belongs in WestOZ representing all of us. You and yours are going to get a heap more than $40,000 worth of fun and memories out of that car.
You need to drive it over to Brisbane in November so Phyllis and Cindy can race each other at the Drags.

Today I removed the driveshaft, lined it all up ( Compliance workshop took it off to put new carrier bearings on, marked it then didn't bother to line up the companion flange marks during reassembly ) put it back and got insulators etc back on how they would have been if they had left it alone.
Also put new oil in Rear Diff, Transfer and Transmission.
Thats it. State of Origin Tonight, Go Queensland !!!

·
1,889 Posts
So how many of the 99 twin turbos were send to the USA? Does anyone know right off?
I thought the last 99 VR4 was here in Texas for the longest time but apparently it was second to last .

·
Registered
289 Posts
So how many of the 99 twin turbos were send to the USA? Does anyone know right off?
I thought the last 99 VR4 was here in Texas for the longest time but apparently it was second to last .
I think many of the production numbers and figures available online only cover US spec cars giving a false impression of the limited production numbers.

For example the euro spec cars which kept the gen 2 appearance and gizmos from 1994 throughout 1999 are not on any of the available lists online that I've come across.

Mitsubishi here in Sweden only sold 57 cars. 7 in 1993 and 50 in 1999 however the 1999. But the rare 1999 VIN list available online don't mention any of the Swedish VIN's.

Also none of the VIN decoders online work with VIN numbers from euro spec for some reason.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I find this picture very interesting:

It shows that the car has no MAP sensor and fewer vacuum lines going from the plenum than I've ever seen before.

Seems like it's only the late US spec cars that have MAP sensor fitted cause I know that the euro spec cars don't have it and according to the picture above it's clear that the JDM spec cars don't have it either.

·
Drives a 1997 VR4.
1,573 Posts
I think many of the production numbers and figures available online only cover US spec cars giving a false impression of the limited production numbers.

For example the euro spec cars which kept the gen 2 appearance and gizmos from 1994 throughout 1999 are not on any of the available lists online that I've come across.

Mitsubishi here in Sweden only sold 57 cars. 7 in 1993 and 50 in 1999 however the 1999. But the rare 1999 VIN list available online don't mention any of the Swedish VIN's.

Also none of the VIN decoders online work with VIN numbers from euro spec for some reason.
To add on, I have a 99 base, in the States and my VIN does not come up in a VIN Decoder.

·
1,889 Posts
I find this picture very interesting:

It shows that the car has no MAP sensor and fewer vacuum lines going from the plenum than I've ever seen before.

Seems like it's only the late US spec cars that have MAP sensor fitted cause I know that the euro spec cars don't have it and according to the picture above it's clear that the JDM spec cars don't have it either.
That's because the 96-99 US specs cars used the MAP sensor for emissions only.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Regarding 1999 production numbers.

I have a Mitsubishi manual which details identification codes for 4 world markets.
These are,- Europe, Z16AMJGFL6 and Z16AMJGFR6
General Export, Z16AMNGFL, and Z16AMNGFR
GCC, Z16AMNGFLW
Australia, Z16AMNGFR8

Then there is USA, Federal and California are different

And of course Japan which is Z16A or Z15A.

I am interested 99 and 2000 production in Japan. 2 reasons,- A. cos they are available to us here in Australia under current legislation and B. Especially 2000 CALENDER year because they are rarer and something different.
To track them down I got into the relevant section of Mitsubishi ASA ( Japan ) and wrote down every serial number from Aug 98 to Aug 2000 and included the specs.
You have to be very carefull in any discussion to define Mitsubishi production year or calender year. They are different.
Without access to a Mitsubishi program encompassing all markets the cars went to. The only way as a community we will determine total production numbers of whatever line is research the market you are in and one day add them all up worldwide.
I thought what had been done in the USA for Stealth (stealth 316 ) and 99 VR4 ( In 3si Wikki ) was really good. Inspired me to research 99,2000 Japan anyhow.

·
Registered
433 Posts

I have heard Mitsubishi made the Eurospec cars earlier and stored them until ready for export. The 99 UK 3000s had carbon fibre inserts on dash and door cards that were fitted in UK, I guess this explains how different variants were available at same time.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Amazing sight to see the 3 of them all snug in your shed, you are a total freak, love it ! Out of interest how do they all compare to drive, is there much difference between the higher mileage ones and the new one in terms of driving feel ?

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Amazing sight to see the 3 of them all snug in your shed, you are a total freak, love it ! Out of interest how do they all compare to drive, is there much difference between the higher mileage ones and the new one in terms of driving feel ?
Remember I said to you a while ago there are two different classes of car for sale in Japan. One everyday and the other very rare and costs twice as much cos the Japanese GTO enthusiasts appreciate them as well.
Well I have found out that is true. This car is way better in every way than I thought it would be. A dream to drive.
Our 2000 Z16 with 81,500 klm when we got it was good but not as " tight ". I like the leather seats etc in the Z16. Some will disagree, but being lucky enough to jump from one working car to another my opinion is AWS in the Z16 is quicker moving the whole vehicle to a different trajectory at speed. Condition wise it had some rust and had been treated for same with a tar like coating. Would have been better without that coating all over underneath I think. Had to find an odd small fitting that was missing for it as well.
And comparing our original 99 Z15 to the new one. Yes a couple of extra rattles, one of which is the aftermarket assist links on the back, but now with a better one to compare I realise I have to have a look at some of the bushes etc under the front end re steering.

41 - 60 of 216 Posts