Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The last 3s car produced was Z15A0600290. Silver NA SR 4spd auto came off the line in early August 2000.

The last Twin Turbo could be Z15A0600289 ( MR ) or Z16A0600144. Z15A and Z16A were a sort of parallel universe, but more Z15`s were made in late July 2000 so odds are Z15A0600289 would be last I reckon.

6 Z16 TT Produced in Late July 2000.
18 Z15 chassis Produced of which 9 were TT in the same late July 2000 period. Then NA car Z15A0600290 in early August.

I am sitting in Z15A0600289 right now. Fairly certain it is the last 3s Twin Turbo.
Just picked it up from compliancing, got it registered and put plates on.
It arrived in Australia about a month ago by ship from Japan. About three months ago with the help of a Japanese teacher and social media site Mixi we did the impossible and found it in Tokyo from just the serial number.
Was lucky enough to buy it. The car has not been registered on the road in Japan since 2009 and only had 36,005klm on the clock when we found it.
Good luck and determination paid off big time. Fate too I think. You see the serial number of our 99 twin turbo GTO is Z15A0500289. Knew I was supposed to find Z15A0600289 the instant I turned up the number when looking at 2000 calender year GTO production.
John.

·
3SWiki.org
9,720 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
So John, since you bought this car are you going to do another Australia wide trip so you can give me a ride in this awesomeness of a car? Would love to see it, cant make it to NG too far for me. =(

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Nice work John :thumbsup:

·
4G63 swap initiated
7,360 Posts
Pictures!!!!!!!! Any history on the car? What color?

·
Twin Turbo
5,115 Posts
Lol well done John. now yet just need to buy that MR as well :lol:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
one day
483 Posts
Awesome find and purchase.

Pics!!!!!!! now!!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Congrats John, that is an amazing story, full respect for the awesome effort to find this beauty. Please post some pics up and have you any pics of the car in Japan before it left its home country?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This amazing piece of machinery is currently residing in my garage. You are more than welcome to leave it there as a early birthday present....thanks John;)
He took a few pics this arvo, needs a clean but is in spectacular condition. I am sure he will post them when he gets a chance

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, sorry I didn't get back sooner but once Matt got home from work Would have been rude to be sending messages.
Co pilot and I will start back for home tomorrow. About 1900 klm I think. Will post pics when we get back.
Thanks Matt for helping get a spare wheel organized and putting us up for the night.

·
Registered
518 Posts
While I was content in just owning a GTO, John you're a true inspiration! What's this the 3rd GTO you own (at once)? Congrats on the find.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Headed West from Matts place out through Beaudesert and pulled up in Roma. 592klm.

Hard Attack,- car is Pearl White, Black interior with cloth seats. Built late July 2000. First registered August 2000. Lived in southern Japan before going to Tokyo which is good cos no salt on road and no tsunami. Found owners manual, warranty and service booklet in glovebox. Also instructions for Kenwood sound system and CD stacker and more. All in Japanese but so will have to study them later.
Export certificate tells us last inspection was 26 July 2007 at 34,600klm. Car was de registered on 30 March 2009.

Benjoid, Yes we do have pics in Japan. Most exiting find was it featured in an article by Vogue Sports, Tokyo in Holiday Auto Magazine in 2011. Am trying to get permission to use the pics I found.

Faust,- Correct, that is three at once.

·
Just lucky I guess.
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Congrats John!

That is awesome!

Now I know why you were so interested in the last US spec '99 VR-4...which is still for sale I think. haha

Pics when you get a chance! :)

-John
Yes John, I had a yarn with a few of you about it. Cos I would get a thrill driving a car like that when we get to USA. $16,000 looks good for 99 USA #287.
Just for interest here's how our little project here added up.

Spotters fee, 500
J-spec, organize purchase and import, 1,100
Vehicle at port in Japan price, 31,465.90
Shipping, 1,798.00
Fed govt import duty and gst tax, 4,969.29
Compliance for on road, 4,115.00 ( includes new tyres & repairs. )
State govt stamp duty and registration, 2,273.10
OOZ15 number plates, 430.00

Think that adds up to $46,651.29

At the time Aussie $ was worth about 1.03 US and 99 Japanese Yen.

And lucky it happened when it did cos Aussie dollar has fallen against both green back and yen. In Japan and a couple of other costs would be about 10 per cent higher now.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
He's probably editing them...

1 - 20 of 216 Posts