Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry to see that your blown engine. This is an awesome thread and I hope that you get a new engine back together soon.

I've been running a similar DR750 setup on a stock engine with 170 000 km on it for a couple of years now. What I've done to try and save the bottom end is to use the Chrome boost/target load feature to limit the boost at low RPM and ramp it up in a linear fashion so that I don't see 25 psi until 5k rpm.

As you noticed the DR750 can really stress the bottom end if you run a flat boost curve. I don't allow more than ~15 psi at 3000 RPM.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So what would be, if we retard timing in lower rpm also....I know spool will be slower, and less hp at lower rpm, but with stock short block, we would save it...maybe?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Retarding timing would help too, but it would make the car feel really lazy out of boost at low rpms, so you would want to make sure you were only retarding it during those high load cells.

I think the way Unlogic is talking about, it's the right way to do it.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Thanks guys for all the input. I went back to re-read all of the advice from all of you and appreciate some people holding back from telling me… I told you so! :)

I’m hoping some of you can learn from some of the mistakes I’ve made with this DR750 build and hindsight is always 20/20. I certainly got caught up with the power and the success of the car at Seekonk. I certainly was not pushing these turbos by any means but this thread does illustrate the importance of having a dead on tune with a piggyback set up.

Unlogic, I would really like to read more about your Chrome boost target setup. I just recently purchased a Chrome ECU and will be ditching the SAFC-2. I will however be keeping the MAFT in order to run the larger MAF but will be setting it to 360cc injectors and will be sizing the injectors with the Chrome ECU. My question to all of you is if I should switch back to 93 pump if my target is only 500awhp? I did go back and re-read some of you warning me about the inconsistencies of e85 at the pump.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Going to Chrome is the right thing to do. I've documented both my build and my Chrome tuning in the following threads on the "other" (now mostly dead 3/S forum).

Build: http://bit.ly/2Afg07r
Tune: https://bit.ly/2WLrG1U

I'm running pump gas and a snow performance water/meth injection kit controlled by the LCDBC and a small amplifier (custom built). Otherwise my setup is very similar to yours since I also run a zeroed out MAFT along with a Z06 MAF.

I had a hard time getting a knock free tune over 20 psi on just pump gas and ethanol was too much of a hassle with it's varying quality and tendency to gum things up.

Meth injection has the benefit of only being used during high boost so during long drives on the highway for example the consumption is minimal. It's worked great for me and what's holding med back at the moment is my stock bottom end that I don't dare to push any harder.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
It's no secret that SAFCs can cause ECU's to crank up the ignition timing too, resulting in alot of blown engines. I would almost blame it all on that.

I know Ray (and others) have had good reliable luck with them, but people like Ray are a exception, and know so much more then the most of us...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I would like to note that this thread was really meant to document my journey getting back into the 3S car scene. I have absolutely no issue sharing both my successes and my failures with you all. I knew this was going to be a great learning experience with the Stealth build and enjoy sharing the journey with you all. I also would like to add how grateful I am to receive such great information and tech tips along the way. It has been super helpful. Using this thread as a journal truly helps motivate myself to get back into the garage after every failure.

On a positive note, I have another update. After destroying my engine, I spent a few days figuring out the fastest and quickest way to get the Stealth back on the road before the first race at Seekonk Speedway. The timing was terrible and knew I was going to miss at least half the season. The first race was Memorial Day and I was having a very hard time finding a long block. I was on Facebook one morning scrolling through the parts section and found a black 97’ VR4 for sale for an incredible price. I almost thought it was too good to be true but I contacted the seller to understand the situation and condition of the car. Mechanically it was sound, but the famous Mitsubishi clear coat had failed horribly on this car. Two local buyers checked the car out and both passed on the car due to the paint condition. The seller contacted me Saturday morning and said if you want to check out the car, it’s yours. I texted a great friend of mine and asked if he wanted to go on an insanely last minute road trip to pick up another 3/S. He agreed and we drove almost 800 miles to pick this car up. That’s right, you read that correctly, 1,600 mile road trip back and forth. I’m insane and I have to say I have one of the best friends ever! It was a great road trip and talked about cars, future car builds and dream garages. We got down to West Virginia Sunday morning and the car, to my surprise, was in much better shape than anticipated. The car was completely stock and the interior was extremely clean. The car drove straight, pulled well and only had 103k miles on it. I’m pleased to introduce the newest Seekonk Speedway car. I named it… ‘Plan B’.

IMG_8829 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

The original game plan was to swap all the Stealth’s go-go parts into the 3000GT and ditch the Stealth. However, the more I drove the 3000GT, the more I fell in love with the car. For those of you who don’t remember my black 95’ vr4, I have a special attachment to black 3000gt’s.

I was not going to miss the Memorial Day race so I swapped the wheel/tire combo from the Stealth and raced the 3000GT! The new plan is to race the Vr4 in its stock form until I can rebuild the Stealth. The Stealth will now become a pure track car where the Vr4 will be a clean street car. I’m going to re-spray the car and maybe do a Dr-650 build next year.

I wanted to advance at least one round but to my surprise, the VR4 kept winning. I was beating cars that were 2x more powerful. Most of the F-body cars out there are putting down at least 400whp. I’ve mastered my launch and try to get out in front before turn 1. After that, I try to control the race by protecting that inside lane to the best of my abilities. I’ve been racing go-karts over the winter with some of my friends and its helped my driving significantly. Finding the fastest line and the best defensive line is very important at Seekonk. When watching all the drivers, you quickly pick out who understands that notion.

Seekonk_1 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Seekonk_2 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Seekonk_3 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Seekonk_4 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Seekonk_5 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Seekonk_6 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

To my amazement, I came in 1st place. I could not believe it. So I’ll end on a positive note, I’m back in black for now until I can successfully rebuild the Stealth!

Seekonk_7 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

IMG_8847 by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Here's the video of all the races! Enjoy!

17,279 Posts
Wow that's some commitment and an amazing story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
One fix at a time
7,768 Posts
That's pretty amazing a stock VR-4 can do so well at that track against some of those modded cars. Our 3S's understeer quite a bit imo but they do still get around the turns very well.

Less timing or preferably less boost at lower rpms high gears would be the best bet for keeping torque lower and cylinder pressure as a result for a stock bottom end, but since you have to rebuild it aftermarket pistons are relatively cheap. Even a Wiseco BC rod bottom end would last awhile since hardly any of us beat on our cars as hard as Ray. He still got 10k miles on the inferior smaller chinese brass bushing.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
First of all, congratulation for 1st place, now you prove that it is not just good car but you as a good driver.

About DR750.....what about if we set GAIN in boost controler to minimum...that would slow little spool to I guess.... only for stock engines of course

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thanks man! The driver mod is a work in progress :)

As for the GAIN. I do have the Blitz SBC-ID which has a GAIN setting. I do have it set to a minimum but the quick spool is not what killed the engine. It was most likely the tune. I picked up BlackStealth's stand alone datalogger and a chrome ECU and will be using these two items to tune the car next time. The datalogger I was using was having issues through the Torque App as it was giving me bogus knock count readings. Knock was most likely happening but I had no accurate readings.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Thanks man! I'm dying to get the Stealth out there again. It's only a matter of time when the white Evo returns. He's been building an insane 2.4L build pushing well over 800awhp. There's a silver WRX that is also a great driver and has the car dialed down. He should be returning to race this year as well.

Man your a hero, well done at seekonk!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Hey everyone! I hope you’re all staying safe. We shall get through this! Since we’re all staying in more due to the coronavirus going around, it’s giving us some more time in the garage I hope!

It’s certainly given me some time to get you all up-to-date since I haven’t been doing a very good job updating this thread. The 2019 race season starting off very well with the 97’ VR4 and I was able to win the first two races of the year. I was not so lucky after that and was paired up with some much faster cars. I managed to get another 2nd place win at the end of the season, which was fun. Overall, I came in 3rd in points for the year @ Seekonk speedway out of 85 racers. Not too bad for a stock vr4!

2019 Seekonk Points by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

This winter I’ve been very busy rebuilding the Stealth. I sent the short block to Dave Mennella and he put together a great forged bottom end for me. I went with Ross pistons and Crower rods. Heads were also sent out for a stage 3 port job and head lift fix. Pairing the engine modifications, I’m also having Chris over at R’venge Performance completely rebuild my transmission along with upgrading to the SCE Torsion Center Differential and SCE front differential. More pictures and updates on the build to follow! I promise!

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,248 Posts
Welcome back!!!!
I've watched the races you've posted and am always MUCH impressed :)

Are you hoping that the 2020 season will go on as planned (who the hell ever heard of coronavirus before the last 2 months?) ?

Great finish to 2019, for sure.

Crap, until I expanded your sig, I forgot about the 95 TT :)

Definitely WILL be watching your progress, GOOD LUCK!!!

Bob.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts