Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, it feels great to be back on the 3si forum. After being away for quite some time, browsing around the forum brings back some good memories! I’m not going to lie, it looks like things have died down quite a bit, but I guess that’s the norm when everyone is posting their cars on Facebook now.

For those of you who don’t know me, I use to own a 95’ black VR4 which was considered my true love (before I married my wife :) )

I worked my butt off in high school and saved my pennies until I could afford a VR4 and joined the ranks of the twin turbo cool kid club. I purchased that vr4 in 2006, sold my 93 SL and started the journey of owning a turboed 3/S (we all know the difficulties of this journey).

During my ownership of my VR4, I made many good friends on 3SI in the New England area, which unfortunately looks like many of them have not been on the forum for quite some time. I am sure many of them have now started families and as we all know, the older we get, the less dedicated time we have for our expensive car hobbies and priorities change.

During college, the summers were all about working my tail off during the day and working on the car at night. I had to do a quick search for my old build and found it!

http://www.3si.org/forum/f87/project-95-vr4-444344/

Looks like I never updated it and did not show the finish product. It was a great 15g build and was an unbelievable streetcar.

After graduating college, getting a real job and moving up to Boston, I found it very hard to own a VR4 in the city w/o a garage. I ended up keeping the car at my parent’s house and never found the time to enjoy the car. Long story short I ended up selling the car to another member on 3SI in 2011 and I cannot believe I found the old For Sale Thread too.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f10/1995-black-3000gt-vr4-boston-ma-528227/

I’m glad I kept my promise and returned to 3si with another 3/S! It took a little longer than expected, but I’m back! Ha!

After finally getting my username back from a password reset that I must have missed, I’ve been probing for sale section on 3si for quite some time. I ended up finding a great deal and a really great member with a 95’ stealth TT. If it weren’t for him, I’d probably would still be looking as we speak. The car needs some love and I’ve promised the previous owner to bring this car to it’s original glory!

So here she is! It was a very long trip, but worth the 16 hour road trip lol!

The plan for this car is to make a quick but affordable weekend track car. I’m sure many of you are already laughing when the word ‘affordable’ and ‘3000GT/Stealth’ are in the same sentence, but I’m going to try! Stay tuned for the build plans and updates.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Your 95 was beautiful :(

Welcome back!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Congrats. The New England scene is still hanging in there, but not too many local meets anymore. The biggest of the year is when we get together with 3SNY and 3SNJ for the Northeast Gathering each August. Last year's meet was in Wallingford, CT, and had a huge turnout. This year's will be in northern NJ.

IMG_3942.JPG

BTW, your new TT is almost an exact copy of my '96. Very nice.

·
Registered
861 Posts
A white 2G stealth is my dream 3S, it looks amazing. Congrats on getting back into the money pit game :lol:

·
Registered
821 Posts
great to see you back!! i'm sure that we are all looking forward to seeing your progress!!

so what's the plan?? what sort of goals do you have for the car?

·
Jack Stand Driver
978 Posts
Welcome back. It's good to start seeing some older members coming back on! Great looking Stealth! Love to see what comes out of it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Shouldn't be too bad to make it a cheap, fun reliable weekend track car - These cars have become alot better sorted in the last 10 years of what works the best, and what doesn't work at all. It is still expensive for some individual standards, but when you consider it versus some other options out there, it really isn't

I Look forward to future progress!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your 95 was beautiful :(

Welcome back!
Thanks Albert! I sure do miss her. Not sure if Joe is still on 3si but I would love to see if she's still on the road. ( I was glad the Vr4 went to another Joe )

Welcome back! Looking forward to see what you do to your stealth. Subscribed.
Excellent! I'm going to try to post once a week on updates on the car. Really excited to be back.

nice. welcome back. never realized you sold your old car.
Yeah, unfortunately I had to sell the car and use some of the money for a down payment on an investment property. I've since snowballed some of the passive income into a small savings account for a car project like this one!

Sweet! Welcome back!
Glad to see you're sill on here Ryan. Do you still have the stealth? If I remember correctly after the VR4 accident, you purchased a 1st gen stealth?

Congrats. The New England scene is still hanging in there, but not too many local meets anymore. The biggest of the year is when we get together with 3SNY and 3SNJ for the Northeast Gathering each August. Last year's meet was in Wallingford, CT, and had a huge turnout. This year's will be in northern NJ.

BTW, your new TT is almost an exact copy of my '96. Very nice.

Good to hear the New England scene is still hanging in there. I would love to attend the next Northeast Gathering. You'll have to bring your 96' and we'll represent the sexy white 2nd gen stealth's.

A white 2G stealth is my dream 3S, it looks amazing. Congrats on getting back into the money pit game :lol:
Thank you Thor! It's funny, I was never a fan of the 2nd gen stealth design, especially the front bumper, but she's growing on me.

great to see you back!! i'm sure that we are all looking forward to seeing your progress!!

so what's the plan?? what sort of goals do you have for the car?
Thank you. It's great to be back! I will certainly inform everyone on the future plans of the car and the goals i'd like to achieve with this particular car. Stay Tuned!

Welcome back. It's good to start seeing some older members coming back on! Great looking Stealth! Love to see what comes out of it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks RyeH, Hopefully the trend will continue regarding the return of some of the older members. I have some great plans for her and I'm excited for track days with the new Stealth!

good looking 2G! congrats
Matt! I'm so glad you are still on the forums! I'm honored your subscribed to this build and I'm sure I will be speaking with you regarding your DR ARC-2 unit. I'd love to get my hands on another one. I remember tuning the old VR4 with ease with that unit. Is the ARC-2 still the best unit to use or is everyone trending towards the Chrome ECU for tuning?

Shouldn't be too bad to make it a cheap, fun reliable weekend track car - These cars have become alot better sorted in the last 10 years of what works the best, and what doesn't work at all. It is still expensive for some individual standards, but when you consider it versus some other options out there, it really isn't

I Look forward to future progress!

Keeping the car affordable will be the main goal. I just finished reading Ray's thread with his sleeper DR750 build. That will most likely be the direction I will be going with the Stealth. I know it's not a sexy blue print but it's extremely effective and simple.

Welcome back Joe.

I bought a Bomex lip off you back in 09.

Still have it gathering dust in my moms basement.
Ha Ha Ha!!! Glad to see you still have it. Now go out there and strap that lip on a 2nd gen ASAP!!!

nice looking car.
When I saw this car for the first time, it instantly reminded me of your car. Glad to see you're still on the forums. I'll try my best to represent the 2nd gen white Stealth's as well as you have.

·
Super Moderator
21,058 Posts
Glad to see you're sill on here Ryan. Do you still have the stealth? If I remember correctly after the VR4 accident, you purchased a 1st gen stealth?
That's right, but after I bought it in 2009 I went back to school and then moved across the country so it sat for the next ~4 years. But I just finished putting in 15Gs, now I just need to deal with Cali smog and get some paint work done, and it'll be back on the road. In the meantime I built a 9:1 3.7L with all the mods, got a single turbo kit and a '94 TT chassis put it in. Both my Stealths are pearl white. So needless to say I like your new car. :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plans for the Car:

As stated earlier in my first post, I’ve been dying to get back into the car scene and looking to compete in some track races, attend some autocross events, take it to the drags and compete at a local track at Seekonk Speedway. You may have seen Mike Vincent’s post on this board regarding this track. He has been a local favorite and for the past few years, he has been blowing away the competition with his 1st gen Vr4. Refer to the YouTube link below on some of his races at Seekonk Speedway.

The track is a 1/3 mile loop and the event I plan to compete in is the Spector Drags. It is a single elimination event where all of the local streetcars compete in. There is a list of rules but the main rule is the car has to be a registered and street legal vehicle. Since the track is pretty small, many of the AWD turbo cars get a huge advantage with an AWD launch at the starting line to grab the first inside corner.

I’m planning to fight fire with fire and bring the stealth to represent another 3/S in this race. Mike’s car is an absolute monster and I believe he’s rocking a DR-800 set up and has represented the 3/S community very well. I will not be able to compete against him but my goal is to take out a few cars and get into the later rounds.

June 17th will be my first race and I’ll be racing with a completely stock car. The car currently has a K&N filter and an ABS delete kit due to rusted out brake lines. Other than that, the car is bone stock. I will be taking it to ESP this coming Saturday to get a few dyno runs in, get some base numbers and make sure I’m working on a steady foundation before modifying the car with some bolt-on upgrades.

Enough chatting and let's get to work!

So after the 18 hour road trip and some must needed sleep I started to inspect the car. Pulled the car into one of the bays and got to work. You’ll notice the Stealth has a small identity crisis with the 97-98 3000GT front bumper. I actually don’t mind it since I’m not a huge fan of the 2nd gen stealth front bumper. I know, I know, I’m sure I’ve already pissed %50 of you off but I’m sticking with the Mitsubishi front bumper for now. I must admit, it messes with some people. Wait is this a Dodge or a Mitsubishi??? This question then lends to the rabbit hole of explaining to most auto enthusiast that the Stealth and 3000GT are in fact the same car… Mind Blow!!!!

The previous owner really took great care of the car and did a wonderful job keeping all the maintenance records organized. He took it one-step further and itemized all of the replaced parts and dated when the maintenance was completed. It is a great index for quick referencing

The previous owner warned me that the car had a decent hesitation at WOT and believed it to be an ignition issue and traced it down to the plug wires. He replaced the front three but did not have the time to replace the rear three wires. I took the car off the trailer and took it for a quick spin around the block. The car ran pretty good but certainly noticed the hesitation during WOT. The car built boost successfully if it was a gradual acceleration but as soon as I slammed on the gas pedal, the car would violently bog down.

I quickly made some room in the new garage and got to work!

I popped the hood and had a large grin on my face when I saw all of the stock vac/boost lines and laughed to myself when I saw the car still had all the EGR lines still intact. I completely forgot how much of a pain it was to access the rear plugs w/o the vacuum line delete already preformed.

The plan of attack today was replace the spark plugs and replace the rear spark wires. The previous owner gave me the remaining 3 spark wires and I went through my old box of tools and found 6 brand new NGK plugs from the old VR4. SCORE! So far $0.00 invested!

Pulled out all of the plugs and noticed a decent about of white coating on all 6 plugs, it was pretty consistent in every cylinder.

Replaced all 6 plugs, gapped them all to .040” and replaced the 3 rear spark plug wires. I quickly reinstalled everything and started up the car. I crossed my fingers and took it out for a spin. The car ran great! I took it on the highway to do a few third gear pulls and no hesitation what so ever. Jackpot!

I was happy with today’s results so I washed the car and took her out for a quick photo shoot.

I brought the car back to the garage and ran a boost leak test. Found the rear turbo O-ring pissing air. Just went on 3sx's website and ordered a brand new O-ring gasket along with some EGR plates.

Car is going to the Dyno this Saturday and I'll post the results on Sunday!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Welcome back. I'm just getting back into the platform as well after a long hiatus. Curious to see how your build goes. The one I bought sat for about 4 years it seems and needs alot of TLC.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry it’s been awhile since the last post but here’s a couple of updates. I’m going to try my best to post updates at least once a week on the car.

So before I start upgrading the car, I wanted to get some base numbers to see how well the car is performing. I wanted to make sure I had a solid foundation before upgrading a few parts. I headed over to Enhanced Street Performance in Sterling, MA to put the car on the dyno. Before I went, I made sure I replaced the O-ring on the rear turbo to get the best dyno results possible. ( The old o-ring was leaking pretty bad )

I’m not going to lie, I felt like a little kid awaiting the results!

Dyno by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Dave, the owner, informed me that he typically sees stock 3/S’s put down about 230 to 240awhp for the age of these cars now.

While I was driving over to ESP, the car was pulling hard and was loving the low 60 degree weather we were having in Massachusetts in early June.

We ran three passes and I was very impressed with the numbers! I’d like to hear everyone else’s thoughts, especially from the pros.

The Stealth’s best run put down 257awhp @ 5822rpm and 313ft/lbs or torque @ 3285rpms

Dyno Numbers by Joe DeFarias, on Flickr

Dave was convinced that I was hiding a MBC somewhere because he’s couldn’t believe the numbers. I just laughed and said that car is completely stock with the exception of an upgraded intake filter.

My only concern right now is the boost peaking at 14 psi and then dropping to about 8psi in the high rpm range. Is this normal? I thought stock second gen cars were capped at 12 psi. The car is also running a little lean at the peak boost number as well.

I am wondering if I have another boost leak somewhere else. What are your thoughts?

Next step is going to the drag strip and document some base 1/4 mile times.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts