Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bring my Stealth to the dealership (Capitol Mitsu, pretty good bunch, albeit expensive!), to get my lifters replaced today...I figure, no problem, I have an extended warranty that covers these. Well, the service manager informs me that the company which warrants my car refuses to swap all of my lifters, instead opting to isolate only the one's which make noise! The service manager tries to explain that with 70k on the clock, the rest of the lifters will soon follow the leader, and will need to be replaced in short time...No dice. The company is inflexible, and insists that only the bad lifters get swapped out! I call, and get the same song and dance, so I figure I'm out at least $400 now, since I am smart enough to know that it would save me time and money to get everything done at once... At approximately $19.00 per lifter.

Just figured I'd vent my frustrations, and I do sincerely hope none of you have the same luck (or lack thereof) as I.

On the bright side, I will at least have a smoother sounding motor now, and won't feel it necessary to explain "What the hell is that ticking?" to everyone who asks!

Dan J
94 Stealth TT

·
3,802 Posts
How much to replace all of the lifters if you didn't receive any assistance?
Player

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think a quick $50 under the hood to the mechanic might persuade him that all the lifters look bad and need to be replaced. I wouldn't feel bad about gouging the extended warranty company because they are notorious for selling you a warranty and then denying payment for things that should be covered. I've never heard someone praise the coverage that they've received from an after market warranty company so someone correct me of I'm wrong.

Rob

V

·
0 Posts
I also had trouble, with Wynns warranty. My mistake was that I did the waterpump and t-belt before I contacted them (plainly got frustrated and forgot). They refused to cover anything just for that reason, even though cooling system is covered. Result- $900 outta pocket.

W

·
0 Posts
My warranty company (DFS out of Colorado) voided my extended warranty due to the Borla cat back and the K&N filter. They refused the $5k claim on my tranny fix.

My trans is still bad!

Bill

·
I scare clowns
445 Posts
Next time dude, build a repoire with a
mechanic around there (local mechanics
work great for "extended warranties", or
take a screwdriver, and make 'em "bad"
yourself!

-= nav =-

L

·
0 Posts
I've got a Chrysler extended warrenty. 7 years or 70,000 miles. My 92 VR4 needs springs because I can't get anymore adjustment on the rear camber. Chrysler has agreed to replace both the front and rear springs so that the car is raised equally although the springs seem fine except for the rear camber adjustment being at it's maximum. Mitsubishi said that raising the car a little will allow more adjustment and correct the camber problem. At this time I'm also going to have my lifters checked because of the intermittent clicking problem. I'm also going to find out why I only seem to be getting exhaust from the drivers side. It comes out the passenger side but it's very weak. Changing from sport to tour doesn't seem to affect it. My extended warrenty also allows me a rented car for up to 5 days while this work is being done. I think that's pretty good considering the horror stories I hear about extended warrenty companies. I'm sorry to say that my warrenty will expire Feb. 22th. I bought the car from it's original owner and paid $50 dollars to have the warrenty transfored over to me. I'm glad I did.

S

·
0 Posts
There's a reason your exhaust only comes out of the driver's side -- we don't have true dual exhaust. The passenger side only acts as kind of an overflow, at wide open throttle conditions. Therefore, when you're standing outside your car looking at it, you won't see much coming out the RHS.

If you ask a mechanic this they will probably try and sell you all kinds of repairs you don't need, assuming you are an automotive novice. The repairs we need are expensive enough without getting ripped off!!

Just trying to look out for a fellow 3s'er.

SC92SL
3Si#300

·
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update on my service I had done, FYI...

I had all my lifters (24) swapped out, for an out of pocket expense of $520. My warranty picked up the remaining $1150. I had all the service performed at Capitol Mitsu here in San Jose, and they did a great job! Car runs smooth as glass, and my motor has never been quieter!

Two weeks ago I had the timing belt, water pump, cam/crank seals, plugs and wires changed as well. I then departed to LA/Phoenix/Nevada, (total mileage: just under 3000 miles!), and the car ran flawlessly!

If you ever do go to Capitol Mitsu, mention that you are a member of 3SI, and that will give us a little more exposure over there...I recommend them. The service coordinator to talk to is named Mo, (as in mojo!), and he really kept up with all my requests, even footed $50 of my rental expense!

Dan Jett
94 Green Stealth TT

[This message has been edited by tturbo30 (edited January 08, 2000).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts