Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before any asks, I have searched, and found nothing helpful
I keep getting dummy oil pressure lights at idle rpms, usually after long driving, and almost always after going WOT once or twice. I measured my oil pressure with a mechanical gauge two months ago and it was 25 psi at warm idle and about 80psi at max rpms. The oil light seems to be happening more often, I've considered changing to 15w40, and I've already ordered the 120k maintenance package, along with an oil pump and everything like that, just waiting on my buddy to get his lift installed so we can put it in. when the oil light flickers my stock gauge is usually about 2-3 ticks above zero, my car only has 93,000 on the clock, and just wanted to hear other peoples opinions. I'm currently running mobil1 10w30 in a cold maine climate

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,002 Posts
Did the stock gauge display similar readings two months ago with the mechanical reference? It could be the sending unit itself. You can try cleaning the connector and making sure that the contact is solid. Everything else previously suggested and mentioned still stands.

-sent from my Galaxy Note 9

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
sounds like the sensor or connection is flaky. Check with a 2nd mechanical gauge (hot), the stock gauge is pretty useless except to determine total failure, and even that might be giving it too much credit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the stock gauge display similar readings two months ago with the mechanical reference? It could be the sending unit itself. You can try cleaning the connector and making sure that the contact is solid. Everything else previously suggested and mentioned still stands.

Yes, maybe a tick lower but nothing drastic, and I Could have damaged the switch when re-installing it, i'll try to find out this weekend.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

also I'm a huge fan of your car alan I watch every youtube video you post!

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,002 Posts
Hehe thanks! "Discreetly" working on more fun stuff as I type!

I completely agree with Aaron's suggestion and comments above. Personally, I would not feel comfortable with 2-3 ticks, but without empirical data, it is kind of a crapshoot guess. Even as a precaution, you might as well go with the other oil until the rest of your plans take place. If the light goes away accompanied by a higher reading, then it may not be a fluke afterall.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

also I'm a huge fan of your car alan I watch every youtube video you post!

what oil are you running? Stock oil system too? I’m trying to make this a bulletproof engine

·
SDSU Alumnus
3,002 Posts
what oil are you running? Stock oil system too? I’m trying to make this a bulletproof engine
I personally use M1 15W-50 in all of my cars with a Blackstone UOA at every interval. Yes, stock system except for the PitRoadM/GReddy large oil cooler with fan and IPS racing oil pan (extended capacity and baffled)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: put in 15W50 oil this morning, no more oil lights at idle, my guess is the 10W30 was heating up and getting too thin, will still do 120k+oil pump and pick up when friend is ready as a precaution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts