Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, we're at it again. Another thread on the board about Brand A versus Brand B versus Brand C.

And even though my brand won (hooray for Zaino, Zaino rules, the rest of you losers suck), it struck me that worrying about the minute differences among them is rather silly, akin to bombing the rubble.

Hands up, how many of us make a living from entering our cars in Concours d'Elegance competitions? Zero? Just as I thought.

The difference between Brands A, B, and C is noticeable for only about the first fourteen minutes after you buff off that last coat. After that, your car gets covered in dust just from sitting in the garage every day (in my case, mine is always covered in tiny floaty white cotton towel bits the next morning), and when next you drive it, it gets bug splat on it, gets road dust on it, gets little spots of road tar, and is coated with all the liquids that leak out of the car in front of you on the pike, like oil and gas and windshield washer fluid and tobacco spit. And you guys who drive in the rain and snow must lose your shine a zillion times sooner than I do.

I like my Zaino, but I'm finally realizing that the only satisfaction I get out of my shiny car is in those first fourteen minutes, and I fool myself if I think my brand of wax will make any difference by the time I get to work the next day. Hell, I'm now getting reluctant to even take it out of the garage after I Zaino it, because I know it's gonna be all downhill for my shine from then on.

Until the next time I wash and Zaino it, I'm obsessed with dusting it and dodging puddles and avoiding drippy shitboxes in front of me and steering clear of semis and watching the weather like a hawk for any sign of rain and, oh, the list is endless. Every time I get home, I California Duster it, wash and wipe the bug goo off the nose, mirrors, and windows, wipe the dust off of all 4 wheels and tires, give a quick dusting of the dashboard, and only then go into the house. This is too much.

So, you know what? Who cares what wax we each use. It doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I just like having my hood look like a mirror in the evenings, like last night after I washed it (it had been 3 weeks! :eek: I was in the process of moving... no time to wash... poor car :( ) I was driving to Bojangles and my hood had it's nice mirror finish that I had lost because it was covered by dust and bug guts. The red sunset looked very good on the hood of a red 3000GT, if only I had my digicam with me that one woulda made the 3si calendar. ;)
True to a degree it doesn't matter what wax we use... it's all personal preference, different waxes work better on different cars. I just like knowing that when I wash my car I get a helluva lot more of that shine back then you'd expect to come from other waxes. ;)

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
Andrew......dude, are you sure we aren't related? :D :D . I am EXACTLY the same way. I live in Central Fl on the coast and let me tell you....there is no rain forecast for this area. With afternoon heating.....if there is any moisture in the air (and there ALWAYS is exept for late Dec, Jan and some of Feb)...well, you are gonna have light showers spit out here and there...and if I've just washed/waxed my car....I promice you the one radar echo that shows up in the entire U.S. will show up in the 2 mile radius around wherever my car may be:rolleyes: . And it won't really POUR, it will just start off with a couple of light drizzle spots enough to get the road nice and moist and make all of the road grime nice and "sticky" so that the dump truck that just cut in front of me to go 15MPH below the speed limit can kick that shit up all over me and it won't rain hard enough to rinse most of it off;) . Oh yeah, and my nose and mirrors get waxed once a week....like clockwork which is why I don't have bug damage galore (love bugs here will DESTROY your paint almost on conact...their little useless bodies are made up partially of FORMIC ACID) and anytime I get home and notice bugs....you guessed it...quick wash of the nose and mirrors. And I will NEVER EVER EVER use a bra cover again....that will seriously screw up your bumper if you get even the SLIGHTEST amount of road dirt underneath it with a little water at high speed....even a perfect fitting one will flap a little at 90 mph which is my cruise speed on the interstate pretty much. My pet peeve is CIGARETTES. WTF is with some of these smokers who think the world is their fucking ashtray. Next asswipe who hits my car with a cig is gonna spend a little quality time at the local level 1 trauma center and test out their new insurance plan....no bullshit, I'm sick of that shit. I saw a guy in a new Volvo do that and it bounced right off my hood. I pulled next to him at a light and said "thats a beautiful car...is it loaded". He said "yes it is...I love it". I then asked him "Did they forget to put an ashtray in it or are you just an inconsiderate fuck?" He rolled up his windos...PUSSY. I'd carry a squirtgun full of brake fluid for cunts like that if I wouldn't possibly damage my own car I swear to GOd.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Not only does getting hit by cigarettes piss me off but also just smelling them from the car infront of me. I HATE that smell, I grew up in a house full of smokers and when I finally got out and away from that smell every time I smell it it either pisses me off or makes me wanna throw up. They're already making it illegal to smoke in a lot of places... why not add cars to that list? If you wanna smoke go to designated areas or stay in your house, my lungs are polluted enough without your help. :p
I know a lot of you smokers won't agree with me but honestly I don't give a damn where you smoke... as long as I don't have to breathe it in.

·
Senior **i.e. OLD** Member
13,860 Posts
Geez

Do WE have some "issues" today?:rolleyes:

I LOVE you guys!!!!;)

Bob.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
><i>I'd carry a squirtgun full of brake fluid</i>

That's actually a good idea. And, to save money and get even more satisfaction, I'm going to use only dirty brake fluid.

This will also save me the hassle of walking all the way over to my obnoxious neighbour's yard at night to dump the stuff.

Thought for the day, re cigarette smoke - I long ago noticed when riding my motorcycle that I can frequently tell when the jerk in the car that just passed me in the opposite direction is smoking, because I'll suddenly get a lungful of Marlboro Country. This is rather surprising, when you consider that our combined speeds are well over a hundred and it's a windy day and his stinky breath has had a chance to mix with 5 zillion cubic yards of fresh air. It makes me realize just how true is the old saw that sometime in your life you will breath in the very same air that was once in Julius Caesar's lungs. That's probably the linguini I smell.

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
It makes me realize just how true is the old saw that sometime in your life you will breath in the very same air that was once in Julius Caesar's lungs.
Alright! That means I may have breathed the same air as Jennifer Love Hewitt! :D :D life is goooooood

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Spooling.......
718 Posts
Andrew: I hear ya.. ;) same way with my car. Just got done doing 3 base coats of hard 100% carnuba wax, with a final coat of P21S (for shine). :D

Wrathchild: I HATE PPL THAT THROW CIGS OUT THEIR WINDOW!
Since i have a 97, my bumper has a rather large opening. And every time i go to wash my car, i look down there, and caught between the catch and the radiator is at least 4-7 cig butts! (amog other random things that get caught in there that ppl decide to throw out their window, the worst being a foil gum rapper. This thing landed perfectly flat on my radiator, fusing itself onto it. That was fun to take off. :mad: )

Grrrr... when i become king, first rule, the dumb people are out!;)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't want break anyones heart here, but a carnuba car wax (I assume you weren't buying your own chunks of pure carnuba) will contain no more than about 30% carnuba wax, probably less. The balance will be petroleum distillates and solvents to make the product applicable. Pure (100%) carnuba wax would be a solid material with the consistency of a dried out candle. You wouldn't be able to apply it. If the product is advertised as 100% carnuba wax they lied.

Chris
1994 VR4

·
Spooling.......
718 Posts
Thats exactly what it is... a big block o wax...

You take a warm, damp terry cloth, rub the hell out of the chunck of wax, and apply. Leave a real nice coat.

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
Meguiares number 26b carnuba smells like Bananas yumm.....to bad I've never used it. Stick to my Zymol....I may order the real deal off the website in Spring....cuz its 40 bucks a bottle.

-Jeff

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Thanks for cheering me up

I just hate launch scrubs . . . and it looks like it might rain on my clean ride before I can get it back in the garage . . . and why did I come in today only to find out the Russians had screwed up docking their space truck with the Station . . and no one had the balls to let the capable folks go outside up there and fix it in time for us to fly today . . . and if we don't launch tommorrow . . . we may launch Saturday and I'll miss going to the FL/TENN game . . .

I'm gonna take it out on the bugs on the way home:eek:

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
Grrrr... when i become king, first rule, the dumb people are out!
Do that and the number of subjects you'd have rule over would be about 25.

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
14.1 @ 100mph N/A
5,289 Posts
blind26 said:
Grrrr... when i become king, first rule, the dumb people are out!;)
I'll be there... but I'll be single. :eek: :D

·
Spooling.......
718 Posts
WICKEDDREW said:

owch... hehe....

well... i can make some exceptions... but as for the bad ones... there is NO EXCEPTION! :p

·
Dog Is My Co-Pilot
4,082 Posts
WICKEDDREW said:
Damn man, you either got cajones the size of grapefruits or your drunker than hell! :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
UP THE IRONS!!!
3,129 Posts
YEah Bob, what's up with that? Dammit....get your shit together out there!!;) WHile you guys are screwing around with that billion dollar archaic device (the Shuttle) they've got all my damn aispace shut down over here in MLB.....I got things to do man!:D . Seriously, I'ts been a while, looking forward to seeing it hopefully tomorrow night at 7:18.....wish it were ringside...but not this time....backyard will have to do.

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Delayed

Monday - Space Walk on station to repair for Russions

Tuesday - 5:37 launch - sheit - won't be dark yet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts