Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up my car last night, three months after it lost a transfer case on the way to the DSM Shootout. I ended up needing a new tranny (bad diff and chewed output splines), transfer case (generally fuqued all-around), and driveshaft (torn seal, worn joints).

At first it looked like my aftermarket warranty co was going to stick me with all the repairs. They sent an investigator who was convinced by the guys fixing my car (Island Automotive in Beaufort, SC) that they should pay at least part of the repair.

So, they bought the transmission. They determined since I had the transfer case "fixed" 2 weeks before, it wasn't their responsibility and neither was the driveshaft. Ok, they paid the $3600 for a factory rebuilt tranny and left me owing another $1200 for a *new* (not rebuilt - includes labor too, xfer case was $850) transfer case and a friend gave me a spare driveshaft.

Now the car is back together with a new RPS II clutch, new drivetrain, and most importantly it was done <b>right</b>. No shortcuts, no "he'll never see this anyway". It is so nice to take your car to people who know what the hell they're doing! Of course, one drives an 11-sec Galant and the other owns my old Galant VR4 and a bad Grand National.

I'm putting the new Tubolare's I got from OZwheels.com for $70 each on there tomorrow. It's awesome to be in my car again. I bought it in April 01 so I've never driven it in cold weather. It hauled ASS last night with temps in the 50s. I can't wait to try it in the 30s :)

·
Registered
557 Posts
so nice to hear love reunited:)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hey John,

Did you notice any difference in driveability?? Did the tranny shift smoother, did it launch tighter? Was it tight between shifts when it comes to slop in the drivetrain??

Travis.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Cool deal

:D :D :D

Sam,

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my old tranny didn't have any problems except a now-stripped output shaft. The car just turned 63k miles on the way home. It (the old tranny) shifted great with only a little notchiness on a fast 2-3 shift. Other than that it was fine. And yes, I still have it - I plan to rebuild it as a spare eventually.

It's got a little sputtering on top end but I think that has to do with the gas left over from July more than anything else. :)

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I met Mr. 11-sec-Galant at the 3/S track day at Silver Dollar. Man that car was a beast of a sleeper! Can't wait to meet you sometime and check out your car!

- Brad
92 Pearl White R/T

·
More Than Meets the Eye
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was there - sans car of course. I'll be sure to have it ready for the next one in the Spring. By then I'll have the Accel coils and a datalogger for tuning. My "buy by next month" mods are a new Y pipe and DSM BOV.

Got the rims on today - looks great. Pics soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts