Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
10,939 Posts
that's the exact same setup I've got- picked up the stock one from someone here and put it in- it skips too often for my liking, so I just use the (aftermarket) Pioneer...
Where did you mount it?

The 1st gen location behind the seats of the 2nd gen location behind the drivers side rear wheel?

I've found that a changer in the stock 1st gen location does not skip.

The stock 2nd gen one skips bad going over bumpy roads.

·
Skeptic
1,584 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Where did you mount it?

The 1st gen location behind the seats of the 2nd gen location behind the drivers side rear wheel?

I've found that a changer in the stock 1st gen location does not skip.

The stock 2nd gen one skips bad going over bumpy roads.
You guys have bumpy roads? :D

There's some shocks that leak in the 93-96 changers. The 10 disc 97-99's have many issues.

There's a pioneer IP buss changer you could almost drop on the floor and not have it skip. It can be adapted to 97-99 infinity radios with a peripheral adaptor. BTW those 97-99 radios are plug and play in 94-96's. Better yet there's a newer infinity plug and play mitsu radio. IT has a built in 6 disc changer, plays mp3's, can see mp3 folders, identifies the songs, and has a rds display too. There's at least one person from the NG that followed suit. (hint white spider)

·
Ancient Spirit Of Evil
3,922 Posts
please don't flame me for this... but I haven't had a CD in my car in years, sure the head unit is there, so is the USB port for my usb stick... I used to hate having to carry around a bunch of CDs, usb port+thousands of Mp3s, = aural orgasm

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
please don't flame me for this... but I haven't had a CD in my car in years, sure the head unit is there, so is the USB port for my usb stick... I used to hate having to carry around a bunch of CDs, usb port+thousands of Mp3s, = aural orgasm
I tend to agree with you. I don't plan to put a CD Changer back in my car any time soon...since an iPod plugged into the AUX port will suffice just fine. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
The unit itself is a modified Pioneer CDX-M30.
Any Pioneer shop should be able to fix it, but like eblank8 said it'd be cheaper to replace it. They show up in the Parts section here and on E-Bay. Right now there's a CDX-M30 on E-Bay going for $25.
The difference between the Pioneer and the stock unit is the connector, the stocker has a round Din type one while the Pioneer's is square (the power connector might be different as well, I don't remember but that's easy to deal with). Crutchfield used to sell an adapter for it but I don't know if they still carry it. The Pioneer unit with the Pioneer cable can be made to work with the stock head unit but two of the wires need to be switched in the Pioneer cable. If you're interested in going that route I'll see if I can find my notes from when I did mine.
If you're handy with these kind of things and want to try fixing it there's a couple of things you can try. The obvious first step is to clean the lens. A little alcohol on a Q-tip will do the job. The next thing is to check the sled (the part the lens moves back and forth on). Make sure it moves freely and isn't gunked up with hardened grease. I like to clean the rails and screw with alcohol and re-lube them with a bit of silicone fishing reel grease. Another problem Pioneer's are prone to is carbon build up on the motor brushes.
Take the motor out and spray the brush area thoroughly with contact cleaner (Don't use tuner cleaner or anything else with lubrication in it) while spinning the motor shaft with your fingers. Get right in there and really soak it then let it dry at least over night. That fixes a lot of Pioneers.

A third option is to use an MP3 player through the AUX port on the head unit. Basic players are dirt cheap these days (~$30 at Wally-World) and hold way more music. I picked up a 3" cable somewhere that works out really well, the player sits in the coin holder by the cruise control switch nice and handy. I hardly use the CD anymore.

That's all I can think of for options, good luck!
how do you get the motor out?

·
Skeptic
1,584 Posts
That's discussed in the last few pages of the thread I referenced earlier (Dave's photos were particularly helpful).

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
That's discussed in the last few pages of the thread I referenced earlier (Dave's photos were particularly helpful).
Thanks!! That means something comming from you :D

I remember a few discussions... What do you have in the car now?

·
Super Moderator
4,488 Posts
Any Pioneer shop should be able to fix it, but like eblank8 said it'd be cheaper to replace it. They show up in the Parts section here and on E-Bay. Right now there's a CDX-M30 on E-Bay going for $25.
The difference between the Pioneer and the stock unit is the connector, the stocker has a round Din type one while the Pioneer's is square (the power connector might be different as well, I don't remember but that's easy to deal with). Crutchfield used to sell an adapter for it but I don't know if they still carry it. The Pioneer unit with the Pioneer cable can be made to work with the stock head unit but two of the wires need to be switched in the Pioneer cable. If you're interested in going that route I'll see if I can find my notes from when I did mine.
If you're handy with these kind of things and want to try fixing it there's a couple of things you can try. The obvious first step is to clean the lens. A little alcohol on a Q-tip will do the job. The next thing is to check the sled (the part the lens moves back and forth on). Make sure it moves freely and isn't gunked up with hardened grease. I like to clean the rails and screw with alcohol and re-lube them with a bit of silicone fishing reel grease. Another problem Pioneer's are prone to is carbon build up on the motor brushes.
Take the motor out and spray the brush area thoroughly with contact cleaner (Don't use tuner cleaner or anything else with lubrication in it) while spinning the motor shaft with your fingers. Get right in there and really soak it then let it dry at least over night. That fixes a lot of Pioneers.

A third option is to use an MP3 player through the AUX port on the head unit. Basic players are dirt cheap these days (~$30 at Wally-World) and hold way more music. I picked up a 3" cable somewhere that works out really well, the player sits in the coin holder by the cruise control switch nice and handy. I hardly use the CD anymore.

Alright lets straighten out the compatibility. This is coming from someone that bought fixed , and sold them along with just about any mitsu headunit that would fit a 3kgt. On the repairs; ya there were a few that needed cleaning, a lot that needed one or more of the shocks. Maybe one or two with a bad motor. Never did see a bad sled. But had many that just didn’t work without changing a module.

Yes Pioneer made Mitsu Changers. They also made a Pioneer/Premier cdx, 30,35,40,45,50,55. The 35,45, and 55 came with the antenna adaptor to play thru your fm radio and had an FM prefix. The factory Mitsu changer face plate fits the cdx40 on up and those changers have din plugs just like the mitsu version.

So all is good But Pioneer switched two wires in the all the cdx plugs to make them incompatible with Mitsu. There were CDX 30 and 35 square adaptors made to correct this. There were also adaptors made for the CDX 40+. But they didn’t always fit securely or stay together. In the CDX 30 it was a pia to take the cable plug apart and switch the two pins. But the rest were easy to switch the pins. OR You could plug both your bad mitsu changers plugs into the cdx’s 40,45,50, or 55’s internal board switch the face plate and be done.

Btw that’s a good idea on salvaging a motor.

·
Skeptic
1,584 Posts
I remember a few discussions... What do you have in the car now?
I ultimately bought a Garmin Nüvi rather than replacing the HU, so everything remains stock; the CD changer hasn't skipped a beat (literally) since the repair! Some time after posting my 6x9 rear speaker experiment, someone (maybe you?) confirmed that the HU or amp is equalized for the stock speakers, making it difficult to replace either independently, but I can't seem to find that discussion...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi,
I bought a radio that comes from a stealth 93/94 and i'm interested on the CD changer.
I see you know a lot of stuff.
The piooner Will be compatible with my radio?
Wich cable i Need for make It work (are more than One?)
Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea, I use the Aux port for my MP3 player, but I find I have to crank the volume to get it to good levels. Could just be either my MP3 player or the jack. Dunno.

I wish the CD changer worked because I often leave my MP3 player at home. :(

But, like you said, MP3 players are cheap. I may just buy one solely for use in the car. It would be cheaper and less time consuming than worrying about / trying to fix the changer.
I use a bluetooth adapter plugged into the AUX port to play my Note10 phone. Works for both music and phone.

·
Keep'n 'em spooled
2,582 Posts
Hi,
I bought a radio that comes from a stealth 93/94 and i'm interested on the CD changer.
Thank you
FYI, Steve's post was over 11 years ago. He may, or may not, get a notification about your post. You're more likely to get a reply if you DM him on Facebook, Steve Burrows.

·
Curmudgeon
5,606 Posts
I don't know Steve Burrows but Steve '93ES doesn't facebook.....:)

Fabrizio
Which one did you get? Infinity? or Mitsu?

I Know some stuff. Dave knows more. Hopefully he'll correct my mistakes....:rolleyes:

it can be made to work, but will need to be modified.
To use a Pioneer you'll have to open it up and switch a couple of wires.
You'd be way better off finding an original Mitsu unit.
Plenty of them sitting around now that people have gone MP3 .

Yes there are more than one. The stock Mitsubishi cable has a round DIN connector.
The older (CDX-M30) has a square input connector.
According to Dave's post the newer ones (CDX-M40 & 50) have a compatible round connector. (wires still need to be switched though)
To use the one with the square connector you'll either need an adapter, if they exist anymore, or the cable that came with the changer (make sure the seller is including the cable!)
BTW, your car may already have a cable installed from the factory. My '93 did even though it came without the changer.
It was tucked way up under the carpet in the hatch area.

Thank you
Your welcome!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts