Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
'94 3000GT original owner
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....in my 3kgt stopped working and I'd like to have it repaired. Problem is, I can't find anyone to touch it except the dealer. Anyone here ever have one of these changers repaired...and if so, by who. I realize these units are old, but they serve the purpose for me just fine.

Mine will turn on (fuse good), loads the cd's...but just won't play. The counter stays on Zero.

·
Wingless Since Spring 08
1,754 Posts
What is a CD? lol

Did you post in the wanted section? Im sure buying a used one will be cheaper than repairing it.

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
....in my 3kgt stopped working and I'd like to have it repaired. Problem is, I can't find anyone to touch it except the dealer. Anyone here ever have one of these changers repaired...and if so, by who. I realize these units are old, but they serve the purpose for me just fine.

Mine will turn on (fuse good), loads the cd's...but just won't play. The counter stays on Zero.
Mine does the same thing. :(

It was working fine, then went to working when it wanted to, and now not at all. Same thing as you. It powers up. I can hear it change the discs, but it will not play and sits on zero.

·
Curmudgeon
5,615 Posts
The unit itself is a modified Pioneer CDX-M30.
Any Pioneer shop should be able to fix it, but like eblank8 said it'd be cheaper to replace it. They show up in the Parts section here and on E-Bay. Right now there's a CDX-M30 on E-Bay going for $25.
The difference between the Pioneer and the stock unit is the connector, the stocker has a round Din type one while the Pioneer's is square (the power connector might be different as well, I don't remember but that's easy to deal with). Crutchfield used to sell an adapter for it but I don't know if they still carry it. The Pioneer unit with the Pioneer cable can be made to work with the stock head unit but two of the wires need to be switched in the Pioneer cable. If you're interested in going that route I'll see if I can find my notes from when I did mine.
If you're handy with these kind of things and want to try fixing it there's a couple of things you can try. The obvious first step is to clean the lens. A little alcohol on a Q-tip will do the job. The next thing is to check the sled (the part the lens moves back and forth on). Make sure it moves freely and isn't gunked up with hardened grease. I like to clean the rails and screw with alcohol and re-lube them with a bit of silicone fishing reel grease. Another problem Pioneer's are prone to is carbon build up on the motor brushes.
Take the motor out and spray the brush area thoroughly with contact cleaner (Don't use tuner cleaner or anything else with lubrication in it) while spinning the motor shaft with your fingers. Get right in there and really soak it then let it dry at least over night. That fixes a lot of Pioneers.

A third option is to use an MP3 player through the AUX port on the head unit. Basic players are dirt cheap these days (~$30 at Wally-World) and hold way more music. I picked up a 3" cable somewhere that works out really well, the player sits in the coin holder by the cruise control switch nice and handy. I hardly use the CD anymore.

That's all I can think of for options, good luck!

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The unit itself is a modified Pioneer CDX-M30.
Any Pioneer shop should be able to fix it, but like eblank8 said it'd be cheaper to replace it. They show up in the Parts section here and on E-Bay. Right now there's a CDX-M30 on E-Bay going for $25.
The difference between the Pioneer and the stock unit is the connector, the stocker has a round Din type one while the Pioneer's is square (the power connector might be different as well, I don't remember but that's easy to deal with). Crutchfield used to sell an adapter for it but I don't know if they still carry it. The Pioneer unit with the Pioneer cable can be made to work with the stock head unit but two of the wires need to be switched in the Pioneer cable. If you're interested in going that route I'll see if I can find my notes from when I did mine.
If you're handy with these kind of things and want to try fixing it there's a couple of things you can try. The obvious first step is to clean the lens. A little alcohol on a Q-tip will do the job. The next thing is to check the sled (the part the lens moves back and forth on). Make sure it moves freely and isn't gunked up with hardened grease. I like to clean the rails and screw with alcohol and re-lube them with a bit of silicone fishing reel grease. Another problem Pioneer's are prone to is carbon build up on the motor brushes.
Take the motor out and spray the brush area thoroughly with contact cleaner (Don't use tuner cleaner or anything else with lubrication in it) while spinning the motor shaft with your fingers. Get right in there and really soak it then let it dry at least over night. That fixes a lot of Pioneers.

A third option is to use an MP3 player through the AUX port on the head unit. Basic players are dirt cheap these days (~$30 at Wally-World) and hold way more music. I picked up a 3" cable somewhere that works out really well, the player sits in the coin holder by the cruise control switch nice and handy. I hardly use the CD anymore.

That's all I can think of for options, good luck!
+rep for a great reply!

I'm leery to open up the case on this changer, but it's no good like it is. Never even thought about using the AUX Port for an MP3. That's probably what I'll do.

Thanks!

·
Devoted Darkling
3,519 Posts
Yea, I use the Aux port for my MP3 player, but I find I have to crank the volume to get it to good levels. Could just be either my MP3 player or the jack. Dunno.

I wish the CD changer worked because I often leave my MP3 player at home. :(

But, like you said, MP3 players are cheap. I may just buy one solely for use in the car. It would be cheaper and less time consuming than worrying about / trying to fix the changer.

·
Registered
9,450 Posts
aux port FTW

shocked my wife that her 94 could play her IPOD

"its a aux port, it will play whatever you stick in there"

But they didn't have Ipods in 94, "yeah I know, our cars were WAY aheady of their time"

:) .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lol yeah I always thought the AUX port was a surprising feature. I use my iPod for my music but I still have 6 Discs loaded up all the time lol.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i've got a stock cd changer and a pioneer cd changer that plugs into the antenna wire so it will work for our cars as well. came with my vr4. stock one definetly works but i haven't tried the pioneer.

·
Curmudgeon
5,615 Posts
a pioneer cd changer that plugs into the antenna wire so it will work for our cars as well.
Yeah, that sounds like the CDX-FM30
The problem with them is they don't work with the head unit controls, you have to run a separate wire to a small control panel, then find a place to mount that. Ugly as all hell in my opinion. If I'm going to have something dangling off the dash I'd rather it be an MP3 that I can unplug when I'm not using it. Besides, there's a loss of sound quality when you run through the antenna. You're basically down grading from "CD Quality" to "FM Quality".
Best Buy likes to push those universal units because they're easy to install...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yea i figured the quality wouldn't be great and i was just looking at the little control panel. however it is a good setup for other cars that don't have any stock options. would i ever use it in my car, no but im sure its not that bad.lol

·
Vr4 Owner As of 12-20-04
829 Posts
I have a clarion Head unit w/ a cd player in it but I dont like to cary cd's around. Is it possible to get the stock cd changer to work with it by swapping around the plug like you were saying with the pioneer? If not I would love to sell the OP my 6disk changer. It works great. I havent used it in about 7 months but it was working just fine last time I did. PM me if you are interested in buying it.

·
Curmudgeon
5,615 Posts
I have a clarion Head unit w/ a cd player in it but I dont like to cary cd's around. Is it possible to get the stock cd changer to work with it by swapping around the plug like you were saying with the pioneer?
Sorry, I'm just a part-time geek. I have no idea. Is it Pioneer M Bus compatible?
Even if it is there was a third wire that had to be disconnected in the Pioneer cable to make it work with the Mitsu head unit. I don't know what that wire does but it is missing from the factory cable. Because I don't know what that wire does I can't tell you if a Pioneer or Pioneer compatible head unit would work with the stock set up.
You could stroll over to the Audio/Visual forum and ask, maybe someone over there knows.

·
Skeptic
1,584 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
i've got a stock cd changer and a pioneer cd changer that plugs into the antenna wire so it will work for our cars as well. came with my vr4. stock one definetly works but i haven't tried the pioneer.
that's the exact same setup I've got- picked up the stock one from someone here and put it in- it skips too often for my liking, so I just use the (aftermarket) Pioneer...

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My son gave me one of his iPods and a cable to try in the AUX jack. Loaded a few of my favorite cd's on it and gave it a whirl. Works great! I might just forget about repairing the CD Changer...at least for the time being. Anyway, I got tunes again! :cool:

·
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's the exact same setup I've got- picked up the stock one from someone here and put it in- it skips too often for my liking, so I just use the (aftermarket) Pioneer...
If the stock changer skipped a lot, it was messed up. My stock changer never skipped, and I hit some pretty hard bumps. Worked great for 11 years!
The stock changer I had before that one was a POS. It skipped like crazy and kept breaking. The one that lasted for 11 years was a replacement unit the dealer gave me when the original went in for it's 4th repair. I guess it was just defective.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
As i see this no reading cd and 00 display is a comon problem on ours changers ... I do use my aux with my mp3 but i also had the problem with my changer, i took it to a shop and they guy replaced a small switch that was the problem, he replaced it and worked fine but after few months it started again, i opened the changer to look for the switch ( i had the old bad one with me ) but there are lots of switches like this one on the changers and i had another unit from a 95 so i just closed it and put this aside.

When the changer doesn't play and the 00 displays shows up everything seems working good, i know this cos i had it all open up while it was bad and i could see the cd's loading and spining and even trying to read but after few secs it will just stop and 00 wil come on.

I still have my original that was fixed but that now plays 70% of the time only, i am saving it cos i wanted to find the switch that went bad when ever i get time i'll take that apart again.

another good idea is of that pioneer cd changer that just need an adaptor to work on our HU. There was a thread about this with the amazon link for the cable/adaptor on Florida3S that i'll look for it later on and post it here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts