Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

201 - 220 of 412 Posts

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
For intercoolers, I tried DSMIC, Dejon's, Gene's and ETS. And it was in that particular order, from the easiest to the hardest to install. No that it's really hard, but the way they were talking about this FMIC it seemed extremetly easy and I had in mind a one day easy job.

I say hardest for the ETS mainly because my aftermarket oil cooler was in the way, a secondary effects of the winter, everything was jammed, I lost a lot of time trying to 'free' everything loose, we had to use the torch. With stock oil cooler it would have been easy peasy. And they have no instructions and no pictures to help you making the puzzle, at least they should tell the 'route' for the piping, we have to figure everything out.

About fitment, you need to move the power steering tube cooler behind the bar, you have to cut the passenger fan's rad to let the front turbo pipe go to the turbo. And they put the BOV flange not at a good place, the hood was not closing, we had to re-install the BOV at the horizontal and it's extremely close to the hood at best, and we had to make a ridiculous long ugly hose back to the intake, because the buttom of the BOV is now very high. (Will post some more pics soon, I don't have my camera now).

We had to move a bit the bumber link (not sure of the exact term) to be able to hook the FMIC. We had to cut some pieces on my 1G TT bumber because it was impossible to put back the bumber, the huge outlet pipe from FMIC was in the way. And that's about it about fitment.

I find this kit pretty heavy too, the box was 54lbs, so much more weight then my GENE's SMIC. All the piping is SS instead of Alu. But the quality is good, they give T-Bolts clamps, but I mostly used the clamps that Matt recommend me, except a few ones because I was short of a few. They painted their logos on the silicone coupling, so I sprayed black on them.

They don't give a reducer for the rear turbo pipe, they give a little hose that you put on the small rear pipe and then you put the coupling over it instead :

They give a rubber hose (radiator hose style) for the front turbo, I don't like that too:

But it seems to hold well on Matt's car.

On the more positive note, the quality of the core is really good, we can keep everything, nothing had to be remove, just moved or cut a bit. The price is decent. Less piping then SMIC's, no piping over the front turbo, and so far the spool-up seems to be exactly the same as before, it was worrying me, in fact it was the main reason why I ordered a ARC-2. On my DSM going big FMIC slowed down a lot spool-up.

Edit : since the DR-ARC2 is in I gained back my Spool-up and it seems to be able to support much more boost! At 30 psi on pump gas, after a pull on the dyno I can touch the oulet and it's still cold. It's definatly a good buy!

More pics :

We don't see it too much, hum !?

I hope it help.

Eric

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
So you got these from ETS directly? Would the 3SX kit have the same issues such as no instructions or badly placed BOV flange?

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
That I dunno I'm sorry.

Eric

·
Breaks everything
9,937 Posts
Id wager that if you order the ETS from 3sx...it'll come from ETS if you look at the shipper...they probably drop ship it from them.

Jason

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
Id wager that if you order the ETS from 3sx...it'll come from ETS if you look at the shipper...they probably drop ship it from them.

Jason
Yeah I am pretty much thinking that. Oh well, hopefully I can talk to ETS directly tomorrow first and make sure that the things listed in their descriptions are in the package.

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
the one on my ETS kit was in the STOCK location.
From the pictures on ETS and 3SX, it looks like it is in the stock position....so TT ERIC had his facing upwards?

The stock location is where its suppose to be placed correct?

Jeff, where did you get your ETS?

·
Always Learning
2,478 Posts
I just spoke to Mike at ETS to order my kit and he said that Tial and some other BOV flanges are welded differently. He said the Tial one is welded upwards...but they may not know about the hood which I told him. :)

·
1G Foglights b!tches
8,229 Posts
Haha I am virtually accepting defeat and will accept any lashes you give me ;).

I must of had a brain fart because I am on your website almost every day lol.
And you didn't purchase the ETS kit through him and chose to go straight to ETS?;)

·
DR750's cool kid club!
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
That might be not good to say you're a 8 sec guy to the lady! :D

Eric

201 - 220 of 412 Posts