Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the $30 test pipe on today. It was easy enough to torch the four old nuts off of the cat and bolt the new pipe in. I didn't notice any change in sound. I didnt lose any low end power and in fact it feels stronger all around especially before 3000 rpms. I can definitely feel a small difference. The throttle response seems better too. For $30 I feel it is worth it.
Aaron

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Please explain

I've heard the term "test pipe" and it's somehow related to failing emissions :) Can you please explain what it actually is ? Does it somehow stop your active exhaust from workin ?

·
Lost Soul
6,235 Posts
It replaces the CAT. The cat is what lets you pass emissions. By filtering the air so to speak. By getting a downpipe you are basically allowing for air to flow through, which means more power, generally.
They use a mirror or get down on all 4's :) to check to see if you have a cat, if you don't you fail.
Test pipe bolts on, easy take on easy take off.

-Jeff

·
Registered
147 Posts
FreakAccident!

96 models have pre-cats and a main cat which is what you replaced.

I have a 95 and my brother has a 96, this is how I know.

My 95 model with a test pipe sounds BEAUTIFUL, very Italian if you will.

How do you like the smell? My car smells just like a 69 Chevy pickup..frakng stinks but it is well worth it...the best $30 I ever spent.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant smell anything. It sounds exactly the same too. The only thing I noticed was the major increase in low end power. I can smoke the tires all the way through first and if my clutch wasnt trashed I am sure it would smoke through second too. Maybe I should gut the precats and see if the sound changes.
Aaron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.