Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here...
Has anyone broke their timming belt tensioner?
Does it make a loud knocking sound?
I think mine broke and its causing the timming belt to loosen up and also broke the water pump.
What are the symptoms of a broken timming belt tensioner?
Can someone help me out here?!

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
The tensioner is nothing more than a gas charged hydraulic rod that applies tension against your tensioner pulley assembly. The tensioner can loose its gas and therefore tension, but it should not physically break. The pulley it applies against can sieze up and stop turning which could make a loud screeching or roaring sound. The waterpump can sieze up making noise, but will generally start leaking antifreeze before that point when its seals get damaged by the bearings. Maybe you could provide some more specifics on how the noise sounds, where it seems to be coming from, and whether the car is having running or idling problems.
Keep us posted,
Steve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The water pump did start leaking coolant, so I thought it msut have been the water pump making all the noise. So I replaced the water pump, but its still making this loud knocking sound. I also noticed that the timming belt was loose; I made sure it was ok prior to starting the car. The noise is so loud its hard to tell where its comming from. So I figure since the tensioner might be the problem, the pulleys is hitting the water pump causing the loud knocking sound. But I'm not so sure if that is possible.
What do you think?
Do you think its a motor problem?

D

·
0 Posts
Listen I just replaced my tentioner and timing belt because the tentioner went my belt skipped several teeth I was very fortunate that no valve damage was done .Is your car lost its power as well or just loud does it run real rough and feel like it might stall?

J

·
0 Posts
Dave
When your tensioner went out and you replaced it,could you push the piston in without using a vise?How can you tell the tensioner is bad?
matt56

[This message has been edited by John Matthews (edited December 04, 1999).]

S

·
0 Posts
DAVE ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU JUMPED TEETH CUZ MITSUBISHI SAYS ALL OF OUR MODELS HAVE ZERO TOLERANCE AND IF TIMING BELT SKIPS OR BRAKES IT WILL DEFINATELY REAK HAVOK AS FAR AS INTERNAL DAMAGE THIS IS THE ONLY REASON I WOULD CONSIDER SELLING MY CAR, BUT I JUST LOVE IT DONT KNOW IF I COULD GET ALONG WITHOUT IT,IS THERE ANY SERVICE WEBPAGE THAT HAS EASY TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ON CHANGING THIS BELT AND TENTIONER,NOW I KNOW WHY THE 60K IS SO CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT ...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know for sure if the tensioner is the problem, I just assumed it is the problem because the timming belt is always loosening up when I start the car. As far as the motor, when I first heard the loud knocking sound it lost very little power- it was raining hard at that time and I thought it was the excess water on the road. Now I think it lost that slight power because the timming belt got loose. Other than that motor is idling okay, except for the loud knock. I also opened the valve cover to jsut visually check the valves and they all seemed okay. I'll changed the tensioner and see if the knocking dissapears. I just hope its not the pistons.

D

·
0 Posts
Yes it jumped 4 teeth and the reason we knew it was off was the car ran like the mas was disconnected it had absolutely no power my mechanic said the tensioner was so bad he could get the belt to jump by turning the crank by hand.Any way he said that he coul;d not believe it my crank seals were leaking as well and the belt had oil on it he had not seen one yet were there was no internal damage lucky in canada.P.S I have seen this happen on a honda accord and they are zero tolerance as well it is not common but thankfully it does happen.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Seems like your on target on your car. With no tension applied against your pulley it is probably swinging back and forth on its mounting pivot hitting the tensioner (which would make some noise), and due to it being loose it will let your timing fluctuate affecting driveability.
Hopefully it hasn't fluctuated enough to let the piston catch the valve in a down position.
Keep us updated,
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts