Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought this c ar is October it was great, Come November and the cold weather I realized that my car HATES the cold weather, its Louder in the early mornings and generally gets pissed that I wake it up from its sleep. (am I crazy?)

A month ago on a cold day I notice the temp. guage rises up to almost the hot mark, and I freak out as I should, It goes up to hot and I get no heat, it stays there for 30 seconds or so drops back to normal and The heat kicks back in.
It does this on every cold day, for a week, and I noticed my coolent WAS low, So I changed the thermostat, After that it was okay for a week or so but it was above freezing outside also.
Last week as the temps dipped under freezing again the temp guage starts Nailing the Hot mark again, but my coolent level is fine, all the while its in the normal range and as it rises to the hot rang I get no heat, after awhile it will drop back to the Normal range again and the heat will start.....
....Once it DROPS back to the normal range its good, it stays there and doesnt get Hot again, unless I turn it off for a fue hours to which the cycle starts again.
on a side note if My temp Is in the HOT range and I turn my car on and off about 3 times while its running , not all the way off but to the accessory mark, the needle comes back dawn again and I have heat again.

I know it cant be my thermostat, and as I said my Fluid levels seem fine, at least I can tell my resevoire level stays constant.
So what is this, Im thinking some kind of sensor went wacky ?!?
And it doesn't just go to HOT it goes Beyond HOT like when you nail 120mph on a 100mph speedo.

any ideas guys ?!?!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your sensor might have gone on a fritz, but I'd be more willing to bet that there's air bubbles in your coolant. Are you checking the levels in the main fil AND in the reserve tank? Also, your cap may not be working properly. A brief primer on radiator caps:

A radiator cap has three mechanisms. There are two pressure seals (one for main tank and one for reserve) and there is one vacuum valve. The vacuum valve is what pulls in reserve coolant after your car is turned off. On cold days, the vacuum valve is more necessary since the coolant shrinks. Coolant shrinks = coolant taking up less space = empty space in water jackets = air bubbles (that is, if the valve stopped working) If you prefer to diagnose the vacuum valve rather than just replacing the cap, here goes:

Pull off the cap, hold it right side up, and pull DOWN on the vacuum valve (it sits smack in the middle of the cap). The valve should spring back automatically. This is tough to explain without pics, so you may consider searching the web. Or rather, just buy a new cap. They only cost like $5. Also, when you go to the auto parts store, they'll probably know how to check your old cap. But again remember!! Don't pull that cap off when the engine is hot!

So after you've taken care of any cap issues, turn your car on (when it's COLD). Then remove the cap and very slowly add coolant until it starts to overflow and go into the reserve hole. Then cap it with your new cap and take her for a spin.

Let us know if you're still having problems.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Air bubbles could be the answer for the question but I wouldn't count out that thermostat. You do know that even if you have just changed the thermostat some are bad out of the factory. It does happen more and more these days. I bought three in a row for my stealth and the previous two were bad (I had them checked)! Look at the underside of the cap. Trust your gut. If you think it look crappy then change it because it is better to be safe than sorry any day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah . . .

good word brody, and we're talking about cheap parts here so no sweat with changing them. If you need instructions on how to check the new thermostat you just got then let me know. and remember. only change out one thing at a time before road tests. one variable = easily to eliminate problem = good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.