Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
hangsout w/ his wang out
2,555 Posts
I'm 17 and i think i can drive pretty damn good. I wish my parents would have bought me my car....

Everyone that has a nice car where i live had there parents buy it for them... and most of them have wrecked it.. :rolleyes:

·
Head of Society of Bob
3,889 Posts
A Carrera?! I bet that won't even last as long as the M3 before he does something stupid in it. :mad: People need to learn to respect cars before they can drive a machine like that.

I'm actually glad my parents didn't buy me my car. My first two cars were pieces of crap and I beat the shit out of both of them, but now, after I finally got enough cash for my Stealth and bought it, I'm always washing it, I change all the fluids every 2500 miles, and I'm always careful driving it. (not so say I don't have fun ;), I just don't do it in heavy traffic) It really does make a difference working to buy a car you actually care about. Part of me is invested in this car now, so I want to take care of it.

Now I just wish my parents would help me out with mod money :D

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
At 17 he should be driving what I was driving. A 1982 brown colored Plymouth Horizon TC3.

·
3kgt Driver
3,505 Posts
:nono:

Every new driver should have a beater car to start driving with...

I started off w/ a Pathfinder and as a result, i dont really speed as much b/c from driving my Pathfinder, it didnt really go fast

i became a very cautious driver and learned many lessons from my mistakes

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It makes sense to us lower income folks, but this is how it got explained to me: It's a status thing, a social higharcy. If your making a million dollars a year, and your kids drive an early 90's Honda, how is that going to look to your neighbors, your friends, etc. It makes sense if you think about it. You expect things from certain classes of people. Do you expect to see a Porche in front of a trailer home? Then why would your expect to see a junker in front of a Mansion? And if you can afford nice things for your kids, then usually you'll buy things for them. Might not be right in all aspects, depending on your values and belief system, but that also has to do with classes and social order. But- them's the ways it is.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My parents could buy me a ferrari if they wanted to... That sure as hell doesn't mean I'm getting one. They make me work for what I have, I'm paying off the Stealth right now. They tried giving me our 98 explorer but when you go around a turn more than 15 mph it feels like your gonna roll, I never liked that. Anyway I'm happy with my Steath :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
corrolla

I started off with a beater corolla and it was the best thing for me. it taught me how to drive and how to survive in a high speed environment, but it would let me make a mistake a M3 doesnt nallow for many mistakes.
TUCE

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
My folks bought me a new pair of Nikes every year :) Sometimes I even got the luxary package that totaled to 90 Bucks!!! Yeah...i was pimpin :D

Oh yeah a car...bought my own....WHEN I GRADUATE FROM COLLEGE! Didnt know crap about cars until 2years ago...myabe thats why i got a GT instead of a VR-4 <---still kickin myself.

·
This is my BOOM stick!!!
591 Posts
And I thought I was spoiled! I'm 17 and I have VR4 and I'll be paying it off for a couple more years. I think that guy should learn to drive before he gets any car. And give the parents a good ass whooping for letting their sun have a Porsche! :whip:

·
davey magic!!
6,871 Posts
this is the case with most of the kids nowadays, none of them work for the shit they got. me and my twin are 18 and we both work over 60 hrs a week on top of going to college full time, just to keep the cars on the road. My parents have never helped me pay for the cars only when i blew the engine on my sl did i get help. When i see a young kid driving a vette or bimmer i know they didn't buy it so why should i give a shit what they got because i know they will never appreciate shit as long as someone else pays for it. it's only when they start making fun of other peoples rides that i get pissed :mad:. and that means their new car gets a nice dent in the drivers side door or keyed to shit. it don't even bother me doin it to them because i know their rich ass parents will just pay to fix it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
mallegant2002 said:
At that age, he deserves a Honda. Let him learn how to drive first!

Stupid ass parents like that deserve an ass whooping..

R
He can have mine. :D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I got my 95 SL when I was 17 (my first car). Got my 93 VR-4 a year after.

Daddy co-signed for the loan, which I paid payments on, for a year. Father ended up paying the car off after the year, traded the car in for a VR-4.

Now, yeah, my daddy pretty much hooked me up. But I'm still reminded on a DAILY basis that I owe him $12,000 dollars. So, it really isn't paid off for me. I still owe my father that money.
Also..... I wasn't planning on going to college. I wanted to save, get a VR-4 and a place to live and start working. But then he pretty much told me I could stay with him and he'd help with the VR-4 as long as I went to college.

Needless to say, my Dad is awesome. I owe him more than just the cost of the car. :)
Also, I'm young, my dad hooked me up, but I'd rather give up my jewels than give up my car. Which means I'm making damn sure I don't get into a wreck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts