Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the HA Damper kit with pillow mounts installed today. What a treat.
It costs more than I wanted to spend - wish we had some more alternatives - but I got what I wanted

lowered - lower in front than back
stiffened
good ride
improved handling
adjustable - five clicks on dampers is very noticable on straight city streets
quality H/W engineered for the car.

Tommorow I get the alignment set and will return after a few hundred miles to compensate for any settling and re-adjust heights - if neccessary.

I am extremely pleased immediately - hope it lasts.
:cool:

pictures to follow

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Mitsusl

I bet the TEIN kit fits your car - or any other 3si for that matter.

Here's why:

1) The front struts and springs are one size fits all for us. For example, KYB GR-2 part #335013 is the strut for all of us and you could further verify that with OEM part numbers

2) The rears are all basically the same as well. The lower mounts are all Bushing type and the axle diameter is the same - I had two of the three different KYBs on my SL and they would have fit my VR-4 (part #'s 341183 and 341184). The only difference (SL vs VR-4) at the bottom end is the position of the mounting interface. There is no difference at the top. Soooo the interfaces are "standard" (well ther are differences in the strut piston diameters which manifest themselves in two different Upper mount parts - but this just doesn't matter and here's why

3) The HA with Pillow mounts comes with Upper Mounts! Further these mounts have a spherical bearing (free 3 dimensional rotation) in the mount. So there is no angular requirement between Upper Mount and Lower Mount since the upper end rotates freely in all directions and the lower end rotates freely in one. Hey - after all the body cutouts for the mounts are the same.

4) Lastly,neither the spring sixe or the distance between the mounts can be a factor. The HA's are fully integrated coil overs! and by definition the length is adjustable.

Mitsusl - you want TEIN HA's you go get them with the pillow mounts - trust me - I used to own the twin of your car remember;)

·
Registered
12,179 Posts
Tien USA lowered there prices AFTER raping us tuners for 96% of what thy new there NEW MSRP would be, By telling us "hay shock up now, at this lo price MSRP is $2399 on this kit" Then lowered there price and stuck all of us... I'll sell my remaining kits at there NEW MSRP(after shipping here, and after the 2.64% I am charged to run your credit card, LOOSING money on every set)

then I will no longer sell them...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Bob,

When you had your alignment done, what did you have to do to get the rear in spec?

Even with plain ol' Eibach springs, you can't get the rear set to to spec .... should be even worse if dropped lower with the Teins.

I have Teins on the way and I need to address this issue.

Thanks.

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
replies

Matt,
My deepest apologies. I regret posting the number. I am upset that our tuners have been undermined. I have edited the post.

StealthTT,
Here are my post-alignment values. Any of them could be adjusted in both directions. I have no resricting alignment issues.

Pre-installation "Stock" Wheel well lower lip to ground heights were all 28+"
Current height settings (again mesured between ground and bottom lip of highest point on wheel well.
Front: 26.5" (about 2 of my fingers above the 245-40-18 tire)
Rear: 27"

LF RF
Caster +3.56 +4.00
Camber -0.28 -0.40
Toe 0.00 0.00

LR RR
Camber -1.08 -1.28
Toe 0.00 0.00

Front Rear
Total Toe 0.00 0.00
Thrust Angle 0.00

g8rbob

·
Registered
689 Posts
Pre-installation "Stock" Wheel well lower lip to ground heights were all 28+"
Current height settings (again mesured between ground and bottom lip of highest point on wheel well.
Front: 26.5" (about 2 of my fingers above the 245-40-18 tire)
Rear: 27"

Bob,

If you only dropped the rear 1 inch from the stock height then that would explain why you are still able to align to spec without modifications.

1 inch is less than just Eibach springs alone [1.3" drop] - even more so with Intrax. [1.75"]

I'm planning on dropping at least 2" from stock and maybe more depending on how close things run. (front end, custom exhaust, tire to wheelwell etc) and I'm going to need to come up with a way to align to spec in the rear ....... at 1.3" it's just past the point of spec setup ...

·
Beach Bum
1,724 Posts
Todd-
I had this problem with my intrax on my 92 RT/TT. The springs dropped the car to the point where they could not get it within spec. Something like -2 in the rear for camber. I bought the 2nd gen adjustment bolts as someone suggested which were suppose to be longer and add more adjustment but they did not really help. I took the car to a frame shop- they routed out the holes and welded the rear suspension with a permanent -1.0 camber. That did the trick.

·
I'll Never Grow Up!
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The alignment / rear camber problem

Is not a problem for the two '99s :mitsu: I've had.

I am a lot lower than I sound - and at least as low as the SL was on INTRAX. I need to double check the "stock" measurement the shop took before the install. Two different measurers - him (before) and me (after) - better yet go check your heights and compare to mine - don't go by the difference between the numbers as the definitve amount of lowering. I've been wrapped around the axle with a cadre of Space Shuttle problems the last two days and have not been able to go by the shop an querie about the "stock" measurements.

I have not had a problem getting the camber I wanted. Alignment guys say "which way you want to go? got plenty of adjustment in either direction"

I think there is a difference somewhere in the generations OR variation between individual cars OR capability of whoever is doing the alignment

personally - i sought out the best speciality alignment shop in the area because of the problems described on the forum - and these guys were pretty concerned and warned me about the potential to require camber bolts, kits or modifications - until they put it on the rack and had all the room they wanted to work in.;)

·
3,802 Posts
I thought the teins only adjusted the stiffness of the ride, not the ride height as well. Are you able to adjust both?

·
Vr-4 Evr
2,027 Posts
teins ha adjust ride hieght and damper settings which is the stiffnes. its an awesome upgrade. it comes with everything you need springs,shocks,pillow mounts, hieigh gauge. only left for suspension is strutand sway bars. solid engine mounts and you're pretty much done for suspension=)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yes - hieght plus 16 way adjustable struts/shocks.

The front camber is completely adjustable but not the rear.

Paul is still working on a rear adjustable upper control arm for us - it looks like it won't be long.

That should solve the problem of camber adjustment on the rear ...

·
3,802 Posts
So they're about $2,000 and might fit on a N/A? What's the big difference between the rear suspension on the VR-4 and the N/A's?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts