Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I install turbos from the top of the engine?I dont have a lift and it appears easier for me or do I have to go underneath the car?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've only done the front and many things I simply couldn't get to from the top. Put it up on stands and go to town, make sure you have new gaskets before you take anything off though.

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
With respect to the rear turbo, the oil drain lines are on the oil pan and the rear one has to be accessed from below. Also some of the rear turbo exhaust bolts require the rear heat shield to be removed and the heat shield has a lower rear bolt that is a real pain to access, I think that has to be done from underneath.
With respect to the front turbo, I believe that the oil drain lines and turbo exhaust bolts have to be done from underneath.
I have heard of guys changing only the cold side of the turbo and leaving the oil lines attached to the oil pan and the hot side of the turbo attached to the exhaust system, but I've not tried that myself.
Are you changing both turbo's entirely? or can you leave the hot side and oil lines attached?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I planned on just leaving the oil lines intact if I could. I know you are supposed to swap them but I should be ok.

·
Registered
1993 3000GT VR4
2,121 Posts
The front oil drain line has to come out with the turbo as the bolts at the turbo side are blocked by the front motor mount bracket. This requires removing the drain line from the pan from under the car. Also, the rear turbo has one bolt that goes in from the bottom that needs to be accessed from below with a long extension.

·
Registered
834 Posts
wat?

Jackstands are these cars natural habitat. Get used to it.

Your life would be alot more dificult trying to do it from above only. Not worth trying. I know I just did 19T's!

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
The front oil drain line has to come out with the turbo as the bolts at the turbo side are blocked by the front motor mount bracket. This requires removing the drain line from the pan from under the car. Also, the rear turbo has one bolt that goes in from the bottom that needs to be accessed from below with a long extension.

good point striker3! Shawn's video points that out too, and the front turbo is actually easier to remove than the rear turbo lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok , thanks. Which gaskets do I need for the underneath? Cat? What else? I bought the top gaskets kit.

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
in my experience engine gasket kits do not include the gasket that sits between the pre-catalytic converter and the downpipe. you may be able to reuse the existing gasket, if it's not torn up. otherwise you can take the old one to your local auto parts store and see if they can match it up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What other underneath car gaskets do I need? Do I need to unbolt the headers to get to the rear turbo? Thnx

·
Money pit owner.
2,644 Posts
I think you should have all the gaskets you need to re-install the cylinder heads if you bought a top-end kit for your car from a reputable dealer like 3sx or ninja performance.
I'm guessing that a bottom end kit has oil pan gasket (only applicable to 1991-1992 cars), oil pump gaskets, crankshaft seal etc., you won't be doing those things when you remove the cylinder heads.

17,360 Posts
What turbos swap are you doing? Most of the exhaust gaskets are reusable, you should replace the drain gaskets and use rtv on them and the bolts or replace the aluminum washers on the bolts.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many hours to do thos job would you say?

·
Registered
81 Posts
it took me about 16 hours days to get the turbos out abd rebuild them.

a tip for getting the bottom bolt off the rear pre-cat, go from the wheel-well

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dont have a lift and my emergency brake is broken. I am going to pay a mechanic. Dealer at Cherry Hill Mitsu wants $2700+tax. Another place wants $1100. I may go with latter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts