Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ULykeThat
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been to a machine shop and a transmission shop now. I have two set of tcase internals, one is good bearings with broken gears; the other is fried bearings with good gears. I was hoping to swap around gears and (new) bearings but the trans shop said the machine shop hacked up the good gear too much. Pics below. Thoughts?

Attachments

17,431 Posts
Wow, I am afraid that is toast. Guess they never heard of a bearing splitter.

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Wow, that is some serious hackery there... They obviously had no idea what they were doing. Why were they even removing the bearing at all? Isn't that what you had the trans shop doing?

If it came down to necessity, that gear may be able to be cleaned up and be usable... None of the grinding scars in it are in particularly structurally stressed areas, and if cleaned up properly, would not effect the bearing fit. It's ugly and and screams "Gomer was here", and not something I would want to leave my shop representing my work, but as far as it's ability to do it's job, it would likely live.

I'm much more concerned about the rotational scars in the shaft surface that indicate the bearing may have spun. If it's spun the bearing, and lost the press fit, it may well have been scrap metal before Gomer ever got his mitts on it...

·
ULykeThat
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that is some serious hackery there... They obviously had no idea what they were doing. Why were they even removing the bearing at all? Isn't that what you had the trans shop doing?

If it came down to necessity, that gear may be able to be cleaned up and be usable... None of the grinding scars in it are in particularly structurally stressed areas, and if cleaned up properly, would not effect the bearing fit. It's ugly and and screams "Gomer was here", and not something I would want to leave my shop representing my work, but as far as it's ability to do it's job, it would likely live.

I'm much more concerned about the rotational scars in the shaft surface that indicate the bearing may have spun. If it's spun the bearing, and lost the press fit, it may well have been scrap metal before Gomer ever got his mitts on it...
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the input. But when you say rotational scars in the shaft's surface.... Isn't that actually this sleeve here, or is this something totally different? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transfer-Case-Output-Shaft-Repair-Sleeve-Front-Rear-NATIONAL-99166/122923373331?fits=Model%3A3000GT&hash=item1c9ecdd313:g:TagAAOSwNC5dNevk

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Thanks fellas, I appreciate the input. But when you say rotational scars in the shaft's surface.... Isn't that actually this sleeve here, or is this something totally different? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transfer-Case-Output-Shaft-Repair-Sleeve-Front-Rear-NATIONAL-99166/122923373331?fits=Model%3A3000GT&hash=item1c9ecdd313:g:TagAAOSwNC5dNevk
No. I'm pretty sure that doesn't fit that case, and if it did, it would be a seal surface repair on the other end. I'm talking about the area that holds the bearing in a press fit.

·
ULykeThat
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so what I'm curious about it the scorched little end piece in front of the gear. Now is that parts of the whole shaft or part of the gear? If it's the shaft then I can put that gear on the good shaft. I'm referring to the section being shown in the 3rd picture.

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
OK, so what I'm curious about it the scorched little end piece in front of the gear. Now is that parts of the whole shaft or part of the gear? If it's the shaft then I can put that gear on the good shaft. I'm referring to the section being shown in the 3rd picture.
All the areas with grinding scars are part of the gear... The shaft/splined sleeve presses out of the center.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts