Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Member# 2310
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a bunch of people had been talking about a targa top for our cars awhile back. Did anyone do it? Has your car revealed any body/frame damage yet?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
This is back again...I think that if someone wants a Targa Top that bad, then they shoudl of bought a car that already has one.

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
I would personally love to take an old SL, make a project out of it, and Targa it.

BUT, this will require a TON of hardware, tools, and info. First, I'd have to have a guinea pig to let me look at their spyder, so I could discern how they reinforced it. (same basic principle as a Targa) Then, I'd have to find a way to mimic it, and assemble the supports onto the test bed SL. From there, it's chop, cut, grind, and refinish until I have a custom Targa.

I think it would probably range in the 20K mark to do it right, by the time I'd be done.

It's one of those 'dreams in the back of my head I'd love to attempt some day'

Will it ever happen? Most likely not.

Unless you want to donate your car to me Tiger. ;)

:D

Elton

·
Wild & Wacky Meerkat
1,599 Posts
hmmm....

methinks that a 'shop-chop' was involved, and I don't mean the kind that involved metal cutters or grinders....

:p

If I ever get a spare SL shell, and the welding tools to do it, I will seriously consider doing a targa... :)

I wonder how much someone would pay for it... :D

E

·
rock.
201 Posts
Haha, I remember that "conversion." It pops up on the forums every several months whenever someone brings up the possiblity of a targa.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I dunno about targas......There's nothing like the way the roof of a 3kgt shines when freshly waxed. I don't think I'd give up the intact roof for anything! Some cars would just look plain weird with targa, and I would say our cars fall in that category.

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Re: I don't know but Ruiners "prototype" looks awsome!

melis said:
:) Look-

NICE

Hey, I WONDER whose car THAT is? ;)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
remixor said:
Haha, I remember that "conversion." It pops up on the forums every several months whenever someone brings up the possiblity of a targa.
Cause that was a quick 10min photoshop job of my car. Gah, I can do better, really I can...

·
IDIC
4,390 Posts
You're a popular guy, ruiner =) First the mosaic, now the targa...what's next? =)

-Aaron
'94 R/T TT
'95 VR-4 Spyder
'95 Pearl Yellow R/T (belongs to Mom)

·
Got Boost?
4,242 Posts
Zentelis said:
You're a popular guy, ruiner =) First the mosaic, now the targa...what's next? =)

My car is an internet whore...

·
Finally back!
1,226 Posts
If someone were to do a Targ top, can you put some sort of roll cage to stiffen up the frame?

·
Open it up!
334 Posts
There's some pretty good info about what is done to convert to the spyder, the most detailed I've been able to find anyway, on my web site.

http://emeraldsearch.com/spyder/R&Tcover.htm#ASC has detail from R&T article on the ASC conversion.

http://emeraldsearch.com/spyder/differences.htm

has some detail from the mitsu spyder manual on some of the things that are different between spyders and coupes. Lots of little things like moving wire harnesses, power antenna on front instead of rear, stuff like that which may or may not be applicable to a targa conversion.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
It is defentetly possible! I am very busy right now w/midterms and getting the CF driveshaft finished. When that is all done i will get the details of the Targa top. There is a shop near my house that says it is "no problem" he I havent had time to let him get a detailed look of the car, but he has cut the tops off bmw's and benzes! He said we will need some supports but not that many and all of what we need is already available because of the spyder's. We were looking at under 500bucs for the whole job.

D

·
0 Posts
$500??? hmmm.....

I've heard the $500 line before, months ago. People bring it up every once in a while but there's never more than a "I know this guy who said....". It always turns out to be much more expensive than that.

With how many people are interested, someone would have done it already if it was possible for that cheap.

·
The gloves are now off
1,508 Posts
Re: $500??? hmmm.....

DropTopStealth said:
I've heard the $500 line before, months ago.
Yeah, that was me! :D

·
Badassical Baddage
6,535 Posts
I would think that if you had a roll cage, that would take care of the support...of course it would need to be a full roll cage which would make the car kinda shitty for cruising in :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts