Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure some of you know I am making a targa kit for our cars....I have a couple different ideas....here is one of them....since there is only one kit available I am working on other ways to make the kit work well....but right now I have one for sale.....

I have found two sets of windsheild frames, rubbers, latches, and the fiberglass piece that looks like a targa on the spyder...I couldnt find them anywhere in the US, and Mitsu wants over $5000 just for the parts...my father owns a car dealership and I worked out a deal...the parts are coming from Japan, and are from used spyders, I am selling one targa kit...this will come with everything...the windsheild frame, rubber, latches, etc, the targa piece and a custom made metal channel on the rear with a lip to but the rubber on (rubber from a supra)....it will also include all the steel to brace your car (only adds about 60 lbs.) and complete, detailed instructions...I can help if you are close to denver...if not I will give all the support I can via e mail or phone...If all the parts are still available to me, I will be able to sell this kit for around $3000....all you will have to do on your end is take out the carpet/seats, and some of the interior around the rear seat, disassemble the a-pillar trim, rubber, etc...have someone cut off the top, take out the windsheild, weld in the new frame and weld in the channel at the back of the targa, and the braces along the rockers, and b pillars inside the car....then but everything back together...from what I guess you should be able to get this done for under $1000...imaging a factory style targa for around $4000....The only place I have found that would even do this conversion was newportconvertible.com and they want $8000 plus $1500 to ship your car to them and back to you...and it wouldnt even be parts from a 3000gt....they use rubber and locks from a corvette....this roof will seal as well as any factroy spyder...and will be a real fiberglass targa instead of using the metal piece that was cut out of the car....I am ordering mine soon...if someone wants the other set...it will cut the shipping/cost of import, for both of us...plus I can sell you the rest of the kit....or install it for you it you want to drive to CO....anyway...PM if you are serious....

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are a few pics....

this frame would be welded into your car so you could attach the latches and rubber.....the a pillars are stronger too....since they are from a convertible....this is by far the safest and most professional way to do this conversion

Attachments

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another...

the outside of the top....if your car is red like mine you wont even have to paint it.....

Attachments

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here is the underside of the top....

the only thing about this that will not be as factory made as spyder is the lip in the rear of the targa and the ledge it sits on...which is pretty simple...no curves like the front

Attachments

·
Eric Hawkins
722 Posts
How much does the top weigh, I mean is it hard to take off or put back on. I want to be able to go down the freeway and pull one of those F&F tricks where I just let it fly back while going about 100 MPH, J/K Seriously would it be a problem to remove/put back the top

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Gatecrasher said:
Japan has much less strict import laws than we do. It IS possible a few got shipped over there independent of Mitsubishi...
Even if this were to happen, what are the chances of them sitting in a junkyard, top fully unharmed, and this gentleman finding it? Kinda sounds like a needle in a haystack to me

·
STL3S President
1,830 Posts
Re: here are a few pics....

dustinp said:
this frame would be welded into your car so you could attach the latches and rubber.....the a pillars are stronger too....since they are from a convertible....this is by far the safest and most professional way to do this conversion
left hand drive in japan?

·
2,994 Posts
nice kit, not sure about the frame work though, I would like to see what the finished work looks like, why don't you do this to your car first to to better sell your products and show it works well?

·
Hunter of Fords
260 Posts
he already did it to his car and has pics on another thread. search for threads started by him, dont remember which one.

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey everyone....

sorry i havent been on in a while...I have been working on the door hinges....anyway....these are normal amercian spyders that have been sent over to Japan...from what I hear they were cars that were shipped to japan when the spyder first came out....(someone with a lot of money I guess) and when mitsu bought some of the cars back these were included...they arent complete....from the pics you can tell....and I dont know if some of you are doubting me but...where do tou think I got the pics...I have never screwed anyone on here before.....The top will latch in and out fine...if you didnt understand the concept from my original post here is a better expaination....everything from the rear verticle edge of the door window (on the roof) will be from an actual 3000gt spyder....if you have seen them up close or trust mitsubishi/ASC's engineering ability, it will seal/go in and out as well as a spyder, the only part that I am actually making is just a small flat metal "lip" that will go across the back (like the pic) http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1153662 if you have it installed properly it will be better than ANY shop could do, as far as a custom conversion...it will have mostly everything from a 3000gt already..... if you look at a spyder the "targa top" piece is just the right size....go measure on if you want...the spyder has the same windsheild as all of your cars....so once you weld that frame in (latches, rubber) the top will mount to the front factory style....and the rear will have two little hole (like the picture) for the top to slide into first....here is a pic of mine in the begining stages...I took some pics of all the bracing and are waiting for my friend to e mail them to me....I may even be able to do a little better on the price...I am not trying to make money from this....I only want to get mine done...and if i can help one of you guys out too....(and I also will get mine shipped here for less) then cool....go too mitsu and price the parts I am talking about....and you will see how good of a deal this is.....http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1281199

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh yeah...

the top is made of fiberglass ( i think) didnt someone ask that... it is that same as a spyder...it is pretty light I am sure....

·
Can't get away
305 Posts
I live in the springs. i gotta get my engine fixed first, so will you have more of these kits later on? also, how much would you be charging to put them on yourself? thanks

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey

I have two sets....one for me...one to sell as a kit or just the parts....what ever.....

·
baron of isosceles
3,963 Posts
I'd be looking for this next year...I know it's tough to say, but would you be selling these in the future? or is it a one-off deal?

·
baron of isosceles
3,963 Posts
can't.....afford it.......right now......woud you take payments? you have no idea how badly i want this.....but i just can't aford it!! AAAAAAAARG!!!!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts