Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Targa conversion (kit is here)!!!!!!!!!!

well, here is the official targa top thread....for those of you that dont know...I am doing this mod on my car...I plan to make a kit or at least help those of you who want to do it to.... here is a pic....I will get some more...but this gives you an idea....here are a few of my car too....who will be the first to chop the top....:D ...or the second, I guess....

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1281199

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1294187

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1294191

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, technically you cant

but i made some brackets to hold the markers on to the head lights...and also there is that very small triangular gap at the bottom corner....I just hate the bumps on the 99 head lights....

·
jedi for rent
629 Posts
thats going to be one awsome ride. I've talked to alot of people about doing a targa conversion. it was either no, can't,$$$$$$$
or you'll lose your structrual support.

I saw a guy on ebay that had his 92 vr4 turned into a convertable, not a big fan but again if you can do that you can do a targa.

I think the easiest 3000gt to do would be those with the super big glass sunroofs that come out. they're almost there, the only thing not cut is the outside where the door windows hit.

mines an every day driver so it makes it harder to do stuff. but my hats of to you, you are the man, your head may get real big but you desever it!

here are some pics to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
jedi for rent
629 Posts
and
:ak47:

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
i would dump ALL my precious little money into a targa...haha =)

·
Damaged Goods
1,240 Posts
i will be second i really want a targer top VR4 so how do you plan on doing this?

Jerry Sarkey

·
Registered
75 Posts
how much do you think this kit of your's will run? i'd love to do a targa top on mine. i have too much fun taking stuff off my car. i'm already in the process of shaving the handles and the antenna. if the kit isn't too much, may do it as well before i repaint the car. lemme know
mike

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
there was another guy who made a targa, but had a huge roll cage in it, he was part of the ussc last yr i think, senlurs dad is hell bent he can make a targa top on a 3s for real cheap, i just dont wanna be the guinea pig for the project

·
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey everyone

the kit i am planning on making, will be one of two ways:
first one would include all the steel to brace your car, all hardware, latches, rubbers, trim, etc....but most of the cost will be to have someone put it in....all interior has to come out no matter what....the second one: I will send you a 3000gt/stealth roof, cut off a wrecked car, but first i will make the targa from start to finish....so all you have to do is take the roof to a body shop and have them weld on the new one.....about 300-500 probably....then get it painted etc...I am sure you may have guessed the first one will be the cheapest....both will have detailed instructions on how/where to cut, brace, weld, etc...but this is not going to be a cheap or a quick project....trust me...just for an example...there is a place in CA that specializes in convertible and targa conversions.....they want $8000 for the targa and $11000 for the convertible on our cars......that doesnt include 1500 to ship your car.....I figure you could do it my way for under 5k but.....half price or outrageous.....whatever way you look at it.....but if anyone has the skills to do it themselves or wants help i will tell you guys how to do it.....but there is a lot more that goes into it than you would think at first.....I have over 50 hours in mine already.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
This mod isn't really to hard if you dont mind destroyin your roof lol...I read that first post the other day and got the idea to do it to mine...if you do it yourself you can do it for under 1000 (really more like 800) just got to do it yourself...Thats including making the roll bar (support).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts