Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm home for the weekend and this morning I started my car and backed it out of the garage. When I started it I heard a loud tapping noise and it continued for about 10 minutes. I'm hoping it was just the lifters sticking for a while, the car hasn't been started for a few weeks. The noise went away after the ten minutes. Any ideas?

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
yeah Dustin, its probably the lifters. With you not starting it in a while, I would imagine that the oil drained off / dried up from the components / cylinder walls / galleys. They ( the lifters ) quieted down after they warmed up and actually minutely expanded. When they continue to tick after they have warmed up, they have been scarred too many times for it to matter, or they have just plain been worn out.

Do you run a synthetic oil, or add any oil additives like Duralube ? If not, you should.

my 2 cents.

·
Grrr, baby, grrr
6,116 Posts
It could have been a few things.

My first guess is the lifters were ticking.

Did it sound like a ticking or a knocking?

If it sounded like a knocking it could have been a couple things. a) The input shaft on your tranny knocking. Try pressing in the clutch and see if it goes away. b) rod knock :eek: I doubt this, though.

It's probably the lifters.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Try the above as mentioned. Does it happen on the first cold start of the day, did it just start happening now when the temp is below 50 deg F, does it sound like it is coming from the t-belt cover area. Try restarting and see if it goes away. If so, could be a bad t-belt tenioner.

Perry

·
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking it's the lifters...I use Valvoline 10W 30 oil since I got the car over two years ago...so I should use oil additives when not driving it? It's started once every week-10 days.

·
This space for rent.
3,009 Posts
Dustin -

I recommend an engine treatment additive that treats the metal and not the oil. Find one that states to cling to the metal / absorb into the metal. With your car sitting longer periods of time without running, even if you run synthetic oil , I dont think it will stay clung ( is that a word ? ) to the metal for those durations. It may, but I dont think so.

my $20.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts