Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year before I installed a crate engine my lights worked perfectly and my after market radio was fine.
After installing the motor, I crossed a wire on the starter and saw sparks fly- I made a correction and got the car to start! B I G smile on my face.

When it was time to go home the sun had gone down and I needed to use the lights. I flicked the switch and headlights came on BUT there wasn't dash lights and tail lights? Brake lights work fine...

I checked the fuse and it was blown. Swapped a new one in. Activated lights. SNAP the fuse blew AGAIN!

How do I got about this now??¿ Im limited to drive during the day and I miss night driving the GT )-:

P.S. the car runs nice, strong, and doesn't smoke

Thanks for reading and/or helping!

· Registered
104 Posts
You need to unplug things in the tailight circuit to narrow down where the short is. Instead of wasting fuses, I would get a multimeter and test for continuity between the tailight fuse terminal and a good body ground. Then look up what components are on the circuit and start unplugging them and see which one stops the short to ground. Since you worked in the engine bay last, I would start unplugging things there.

· Registered
93 NA ATX 3000gt DOHC
4,368 Posts
A little more info would help in narrowing things down, like what year is the car and what fuse is blowing?

Because there’s 1 fusible link and 2 fuses involved with the tail light circuit which also supplies dash lights. As well as some wiring differences in some years and trim of cars.

· Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
An improper light connection at the aftermarket radio Will also do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts