Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 3000GT (non-turbo)

I just bought my car a few weeks ago and every gauge is working in it except the tachometer. What do I need to do to fix this? Post pictures if available please. Thank you in advance.

· 3/S Tech
4,126 Posts
actually the speed sensor only controls the speedometer, the Tach gets its signal from the ptu.

Check the ptu plug, its a common thing that sometimes the tach signal wire(a solid white wire I think) will pull loose from the harness, OR the ptu itself could be bad. In case your not familiar, the ptu is mounted just under the coilpack where all the spark plug wires go, and it has a small plug and a larger plug on it.

· Registered
212 Posts
I did all the repairs I could on the PTU but could never get a signal- even replaced it and ran a wire straight from PTU to the tach signal at the ECU and that didn't fix it. I ended up splicing the tach signal to another ECU tach signal (pin 41 comes to mind, but double check) and that seems to have fixed the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.