Mitsubishi 3000GT & Dodge Stealth Forum banner

Tachometer Jumping When Accelerating from Idle

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  wb962 
#1 ·
Like the title says, my Tachometer is jumping whenever I accelerate from idle. The car itself isn't shaking, misfiring, having issues going and it's definitely not the RPMs actually jumping, it drives as normally as it has since I got it in May last year. Before anyone asks, yes the transmission fluid levels are good. I just noticed in the last few days that whenever I accelerate from idle that my Tachometer jumps around quite a bit for a second or two before going back to performing normal. Cruising, gunning it on the highway to get around someone, that's all fine and normal, it just jumps around at idle. Reading anywhere from what it's at, to 0, back to where it's at and such. Is there a sensor somewhere I should be looking for to check if it needs to be replaced or possibly re-wired and if so where would I be looking? The car's been perfectly normal which is why I feel like it's probably a sensor and want to see if anyone has any ideas or things I can check before taking it by a shop that will probably try to give me the runaround of all the other "issues."

If it helps, it's a 98 Base model, Automatic. Yes I know, eww Automatic. I'd been hunting one down for a while and there were none in even remotely good shape within Florida or even Georgia/Alabama that I could find. They were all pretty much planters, I just spotted this at a locally owned dealership one day when I happened to be in Daytona. Aside from some faded paint on the spoiler and mismatching rims, this baby was in near perfect shape, 2 owners and no accidents or issues and I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks
Warren

See less See more
#2 ·
Likely the two Capacitors at the Tachometer go bad / solder corrosion .
2x 10µF 25V

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.